The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

I used to have to sit beside a woman called Morna  who had terrible BO and she made sandwiches for lunch every day that were filled with 'just a mixture' according to her. Whatever it was, it also smelled of human BO and intensified the dreadful cheg. 

Flanked on the other side was Frances, a human dustbin who dipped quavers in her cup of tea. She also necked cans of fizzy juice like they were just thimblefuls while also proclaiming "Ah shouldnae huv this", due to being diabetic. 

See, it's exactly this kind of thing which makes (mostly) working from home the one good thing left about my job...

1189145695_IMG_20230809_1426333.thumb.jpg.81be0ed9c41b6bb116f3ebafca3a1344.jpg

Even if my current desk neighbour does give off a slight whiff of fish every now and again.

Well that's an hour of my life I won't get back.

Fun fact: Things held in place by snap rings come apart a hell of a lot more easily after you've discovered the existence of said snap ring.

Other fun fact: If you can't see any way for the thing you're trying to get apart to be held together, look closer.  You're obviously missing something, it's not been held together by willpower for the last 30 years.  Idiot.

Also, don't punch anti-roll bars.  They're harder than your knuckles and it hurts.

Edit: Okay, I'm done for the day.  Just knocked a can of WD40 off the shelf in the garage and the millisecond it hit the floor it bloody exploded.  I kid you not, it is now dripping off the ceiling and running down the walls.  That's a problem for tomorrow me to deal with.

4 hours ago, Tenmil Socket said:

Also Fisherman’s/Mariners pie microwave meals. 
Where I work the air circulation is sort of connected with ceiling vents between rooms/offices so it fills the entire floor with tench stench from the kitchen!

I worked with this guy that used to warm up this sort of tinned chilli and cheese mix that used to make the joint smell like actual sick. Then he’d eat it making this noise like a farmyard animal. 

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Just knocked a can of WD40 off the shelf in the garage and the millisecond it hit the floor it bloody exploded.  I kid you not, it is now dripping off the ceiling and running down the walls.  That's a problem for tomorrow me to deal with.

That will be a nice* aroma in the morning!

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Edit: Okay, I'm done for the day.  Just knocked a can of WD40 off the shelf in the garage and the millisecond it hit the floor it bloody exploded.  I kid you not, it is now dripping off the ceiling and running down the walls.  That's a problem for tomorrow me to deal with.

well I am sure Dave of many numbers would have gotten a good laugh out of it :) 

On 27/02/2018 at 13:12, dave21478 said:

Brilliant... late in for lunch I fired up an off-brand pot noodle and while carrying it to the lounge successfully spilled it all over myself, burned the piss out of my hand, soaked my phone with the juice, soaked a load of expense receipts I was also carrying and it hit the hall floor and just fucking exploded....it was literally dripping from the ceiling in my newly decorated hallway. The obvious and considered reaction was to throw an immediate, massive paddy and boot the fucker down the hall while screaming, which has made the whole scenario about 18 times worse.

On 8/8/2023 at 3:54 PM, cobblers said:

I asked for a multipack of seabrooks. 

Ended up with this rubbish

Since when are Seabrook turning garbage like this out? Oh how the mighty have fallen! Wouldn't even feed these to the bloody dog.

something is only loaded if its got real cheese and whatever on it ffs 

like that doritos that taste like BK wtf is that about

53 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

It's a TurboPower 2 (model # U2090).

I think I might go (more) retro and buy a Hoover Junior for the house and a Constellation for the stairs and the car.

Aaah, motors aren't too easy to come by for those, their known for doing it! 

A junior is a dirty fan cleaner, so mind stones and bolts and stuff. Connie's are nice, numatic hepaflo bags can be easily fitted which improve the fuck out of them! As well as removing the rf surpressor, as it will go bang one day and fire sparks at your carpet 🤣 Their great fun with a Numatic or miele motor fitted too, run very warm though

Tremendous piece of lazy ill informed journalism in the Telegragh.

It was an anti SUV rant using a Range Rover Evoque as the example, saying they are too big and dirty and dangerous. Obviously too busy to check the  facts, suggested alternatives for our crowded streets were Skoda Octavia Estate , about a foot longer, Volvo V90 Estate , nearly two feet longer, and the Hyundai Ioniq 5 which is longer and heavier than the Evoque.

Now I’m not a Range Rover fan boy, and not keen on manufacturers heading towards SUV only ranges,  but if they’d shown a “full fat” Range Rover or something like a Q7 or X7 , I could understand it , but of course for the anti brigade all SUVs are evil.

They’re also of course dangerous illustrated by that tragedy in Wimbledon, although I’m pretty sure a Nissan Micra would kill someone capable if driven across a crowded playground at speed. 

I've not had the best day. Fell flat on my face right at the start of my delivery. Literally between the first and second of my 705 drops. I managed to trip over a complety flat and smooth piece of pavement and being right at the start was carrying a heavy bag which only helped me on my way. I mean I've fallen over before, when you're walking four to five hours a day the law of averages says you will fall over more often than somebody who works in an office. Usually your automatic reaction is to stick your hands out but today for some inexplicable reason I decided to use my face to break my fall.

IMG_20230809_192136_edit_27645346437682.thumb.jpg.92dbd8a28cd67b101d13fdc68f62b376.jpg

The bit over the bridge of my nose was caused by my glasses, which also broke, and kept bleeding all day. But my nose took the brunt. This was taken six hours later having cleaned it up as best I could. The only very, very thin silver lining was that it happened right by our office so I was able to go back and get cleaned up as much as possible. I guess I should count myself lucky it's not broken.

Getting fed up now, struggling to get to sleep in my Hotel room and some dickhead just thumped their way down the corridor and sounds like their standing outside my room door like their shifting their weight from each foot so now I’m spark awake….great 

I don't understand how this has happened... I've just spent several minutes on the Politics section of the Open Forum.  I mean, that never happens!  I've even "liked" some postings!  This is conclusive proof that something is wrong between my ears, or more wrong than usual.

I went to an out-of-town meeting of one of my support groups yesterday, where we had a couple of "speakers" from the local health authorities, and because of that, I finally realised that I am having difficulty absorbing information.  I haven't always had this; quite the reverse!  It's come as a shock.

1 hour ago, eddyramrod said:

I went to an out-of-town meeting of one of my support groups yesterday, where we had a couple of "speakers" from the local health authorities, and because of that, I finally realised that I am having difficulty absorbing information.  I haven't always had this; quite the reverse!  It's come as a shock.

It is a horrible feeling isn't it?  Something I've very much become aware of as a side effect of my own health issues which have been far worse since contracting COVID back in May 22.  I very much have a finite ration of cognitive energy available per day, and once that's exhausted unless it's something already in my brain that can be done more or less on autopilot, forget it.

Spent a good few days a month or two ago trying to learn how to use some new IT tools, and eventually just had to give up as it was plain that the information just wasn't going to stick.  Which given this is a field I've had an interest in since I was old enough to use a keyboard and have considered myself pretty competent in until very recently really doesn't feel good at all.  It made me feel very, very old.  Which at 38 doesn't exactly bode well for my future!

Day of woe today!

Went to the tip in the Volvo with a boot full of stinking, wet, rotting grass cuttings and garden waste and a smelly old freezer. Wound the windows down for some fresh air and shortly afterwards I could smell a strong, pungent, yet unmistakable odour of a different kind. The car in front of me had lots of smoke coming out of the drivers window but it was weed! Very very strong weed and the tosser was driving!

Later, I took the Mercury out for a drive and some fuel. Pulled up at the pump intending to get super unleaded (no ethanol) and picked up the wrong pump and ended up filling the car and a gerry can (for the Capri) with the standard unleaded by mistake. Twat! 
On the motorway coming home some imbecile didn’t secure their load resulting in a large step ladder flying off and landing in lane 1. Car in front of me swerved and avoided it but I had a car next to me in lane 2 so couldn’t, managed to slow down but part of the now destroyed ladder went straight under the wheel. Naturally the person who’s ladder it was didn’t bother stopping either.

Checked the car over once home and there’s no damage, and the tyre is fine too, luckily. That could easily have been much worse.

This afternoon I’m going to go pour in a cocktail of snake oil and additives to the gerry can of unleaded for the Capri, to hopefully prevent any ethanol related problems! The way todays gone so far I’m bound to do something wrong or cause a small massive explosion or something!!

On 07/08/2023 at 21:30, RoverFolkUs said:

Whatever happens I wish you the best of luck 😅

Well this debacle continues. Chased up customer service as they told me I'd hear back within 72 hours - and the person I'd spoken to had done fuck all, hadn't passed it on to anyone to be actioned. Spoke to a lady on the phone and went through it all again, but of course it's a further > 72 wait so nearly a week now.

Then I went to an Autocentre who tested the battery correctly (stop start type)

20230811_124129.thumb.jpg.4dee3c29338e256b7bbfcca3401373d0.jpg

Surprise surprise it's fucked. 

My Mrs. had been talking to Halfords too via their FB page and gave us a couple of names to speak to in store, one was the manager and he agreed to swap the battery with no argument whatsoever, so now I've got to go home and take the old one off, as I don't trust them to touch it,  then run it back in the other half's car - typically something has happened and half the town is gridlocked too!

4 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

It is a horrible feeling isn't it?  Something I've very much become aware of as a side effect of my own health issues which have been far worse since contracting COVID back in May 22.  I very much have a finite ration of cognitive energy available per day, and once that's exhausted unless it's something already in my brain that can be done more or less on autopilot, forget it.

Spent a good few days a month or two ago trying to learn how to use some new IT tools, and eventually just had to give up as it was plain that the information just wasn't going to stick.  Which given this is a field I've had an interest in since I was old enough to use a keyboard and have considered myself pretty competent in until very recently really doesn't feel good at all.  It made me feel very, very old.  Which at 38 doesn't exactly bode well for my future!

I was chatting to my BIL at the weekend. He's early 40s and generally fit and healthy. Decent job and intelligent bloke.

Earlier in the year he caught covid for the second time. He was rough for a few days but picked back up relatively quickly after. However, he was telling me about how he now has slight brain fog and that he can no longer process lots of ideas at the same time. He reckoned that he just has to concentrate a bit harder to achieve the same result but that it's not quite as easy as previously. Apparently it's been like this for months and he's resigned himself to the fact that the damage could be permanent. 

I was really ill with covid first time around myself and to this day my lung capacity is nowhere near where it used to be. I'm in my late 40s and previously fit and healthy. 

I bet there are more people out there with permanent damage from covid than any stats are ever able to prove. 

I think part of the problem to get any research into 'brainfog' is that it's pretty intangible except to those suffering from it, for example there's no before and after comparisons possible. I guess that it might be covered as part of the 'Long Covid' research but imagine that it would be nigh impossible to get funding to look into it unless someone senior in the research world had a personal interest.

Even if there was the timescale would probably be a decade or more before there were any solid conclusions never mind solutions.

1 hour ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I was chatting to my BIL at the weekend. He's early 40s and generally fit and healthy. Decent job and intelligent bloke.

Earlier in the year he caught covid for the second time. He was rough for a few days but picked back up relatively quickly after. However, he was telling me about how he now has slight brain fog and that he can no longer process lots of ideas at the same time. He reckoned that he just has to concentrate a bit harder to achieve the same result but that it's not quite as easy as previously. Apparently it's been like this for months and he's resigned himself to the fact that the damage could be permanent. 

I was really ill with covid first time around myself and to this day my lung capacity is nowhere near where it used to be. I'm in my late 40s and previously fit and healthy. 

I bet there are more people out there with permanent damage from covid than any stats are ever able to prove. 

In my case I've been dealing with chronic fatigue syndrome since my late teens.  Prior to getting COVID it was something that would occasionally kick me in the balls if I over-stretched myself a bit, and would result in the occasional crash.  It wasn't something requiring daily monitoring.

Now though it's serious enough that I really do need to plan out every day to at least some extent and have contingencies in place in case I run out of steam.

OK so nobody likes a snitch, but a Tesla model Y (lovely car) today overtook me on double white lines and he's on my car cam video. The  oncoming lane was clear, so to be honest I thought no harm no foul.   However..... two minutes later I am behind him in slow traffic , when  he overtakes  a car, van, and tractor with trailer (which was turning right) on a solid white, over a brow of a hill and round a bend.  Now the driver of    BP23 HSD    is probably the nicest person, but the little old lady in her small peugot that was the next oncoming vehicle missed meeting her maker too early by only seconds.

Does the team think I should snitch?

5 minutes ago, Chas4545 said:

OK so nobody likes a snitch, but a Tesla model Y (lovely car) today overtook me on double white lines and he's on my car cam video. The  oncoming lane was clear, so to be honest I thought no harm no foul.   However..... two minutes later I am behind him in slow traffic , when  he overtakes  a car, van, and tractor with trailer (which was turning right) on a solid white, over a brow of a hill and round a bend.  Now the driver of    BP23 HSD    is probably the nicest person, but the little old lady in her small peugot that was the next oncoming vehicle missed meeting her maker too early by only seconds.

Maybe a good idea, although by the time the constabulary get round to doing anything he'll be dead at that rate. Unfortunately, hell probably take someone else out on the way.

23 minutes ago, Chas4545 said:

If they're driving like that much of an ass and you've got video evidence to back it up, go for it.

When they run out of luck they'll probably walk away from it, but they're entirely likely to kill someone else.

6 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

This afternoon I’m going to go pour in a cocktail of snake oil and additives to the gerry can of unleaded for the Capri, to hopefully prevent any ethanol related problems! The way todays gone so far I’m bound to do something wrong or cause a small massive explosion or something!!

Avoid it all together by using alkylate fuel; it's pricy but no need to expose you or the fuel system to stuff that might not play nicely together and there's no ethanol at all.

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

If they're driving like that much of an ass and you've got video evidence to back it up, go for it.

When they run out of luck they'll probably walk away from it, but they're entirely likely to kill someone else.

Round here Tesla drivers are rapidly approaching Audi and BMW levels of dangerous driving.

24 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Round here Tesla drivers are rapidly approaching Audi and BMW levels of dangerous driving.

Here too.  Which makes me sad as I still want a Model S...however the stigma that is rapidly becoming attached to them is indeed making me question that.  Despite the fact that I really rather like the car.