The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Dad has finally bought himself a forklift to lighten up the work. 20m into the property and it has got stuck. This does not seem promising.

20230821_144940.thumb.jpg.90aaeb4690cc556489f56c38db4589be.jpg

I've driven forklifts a lot in the past and know they're not good off-road, but I didn't think they were that bad. And after a lot of swearing and and a tractor, we got it loose.

I'm sure you already know this, but that is a hard-surface fork-lift and will only really work on concrete or tarmac.  For lose gravel like that, you're going to need a rough terrain fork-lift.  Something with inflatable tyres and more ground clearance.  More like this:

forklift.jpg

I'm supposed to be on holiday and having fun.

The Mrs. is spinning an elaborate web of lies to her Ma who happens to live here. Instead of saying we'll go out for a coffee instead of the meal Ma wants I've become gluten free so we can't, which Ma has translated to vegan, so off to the nut roast speciality crap coffee shop. Oh, n we're going home today, when we're not, 'cos it's easier* to slink around constantly looking for them than to say we have plans for us time.

Constant rehashing of she said this, n I said that. Who gives a shit, let it go and perhaps do holiday things? There was also huge pre-planning of various things not to say, so approx 7 seconds after meeting she says "John's got a tattoo and is an idiot". Er, that's on the no list you've been practising for weeks???? 

Before I left my Ma insisted I move her from o2 to asda mobile 'cos it's gone up by £2, and that's a king's ransom. Of course it's got fucked up porting the number, and my idiot sister is doing anything but phone asda and say fix it. Lot better plan to contact 02 she's no longer with and threaten offcom.

3 minutes ago, Talbot said:

I'm sure you already know this, but that is a hard-surface fork-lift and will only really work on concrete or tarmac.  For lose gravel like that, you're going to need a rough terrain fork-lift.  Something with inflatable tyres and more ground clearance.  More like this:

forklift.jpg

Yes, I am aware of that. But had hoped that it would be a little better than this. For se what he will do possible twin wheels will help.

It is not easy to find machines here that do not cost a fortune. A small compact wheel loader would have been better but it is almost impossible to find a cheap used one and even Chinese new ones are expensive. So a forklift was worth a try.

1 minute ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

But had hoped that it would be a little better than this.

In my (limited) experience of forklifts, anything with small solid wheels and no ground clearance is utterly shit on anything other than a smooth warehouse floor.  Even running them over slightly-uneven tarmac is asking for trouble.

2 hours ago, jakebullet said:

I'm supposed to be on holiday and having fun.

The Mrs. is spinning an elaborate web of lies to her Ma who happens to live here. Instead of saying we'll go out for a coffee instead of the meal Ma wants I've become gluten free so we can't, which Ma has translated to vegan, so off to the nut roast speciality crap coffee shop. Oh, n we're going home today, when we're not, 'cos it's easier* to slink around constantly looking for them than to say we have plans for us time.

Constant rehashing of she said this, n I said that. Who gives a shit, let it go and perhaps do holiday things? There was also huge pre-planning of various things not to say, so approx 7 seconds after meeting she says "John's got a tattoo and is an idiot". Er, that's on the no list you've been practising for weeks???? 

Before I left my Ma insisted I move her from o2 to asda mobile 'cos it's gone up by £2, and that's a king's ransom. Of course it's got fucked up porting the number, and my idiot sister is doing anything but phone asda and say fix it. Lot better plan to contact 02 she's no longer with and threaten offcom.

Seriously, just move somewhere remote and tell all your family not to contact you or you'll have the law on them.

4 hours ago, Talbot said:

Look into bringing a private prosecution against him for every single penny of losses.  That's her injury costs, loss of earnings, every minute of loss of time dealing with the crash and the resultant medical travelling/time/etc.  Your loss of time dealing with it, a rental car, etc.etc.etc.  Every single penny.

It'll be thousands.  Probably ten(s) of thousands.  And you should claim every single bit of it.  Screw the bastard into the ground and then some.

Her mother has already engaged a solicitor so I'm doing my best to stay out of it 

The car is 100% a write off but being a 10 + year old vw fox won't be worth much 

My own limited experience of insurance companies is they're shit so I will say if his insurance offers to manage the claim let them 

When I was hit my insurance appointed an accident management company who tried to get me into a £1000 excess £220 a day hire car which i refused when I read the other side may not cover the hire car if they feel it's not justified 

If they provide a hire car that wouldn't happen 

What I'm suggesting is outside of the insurance liability of the other party.  I'm pleased to hear you have a solicitor working on your behalf, but definitely look into a private prosecution.  It's not often done, but in this case I think would be very worthwhile.

40 minutes ago, Talbot said:

What I'm suggesting is outside of the insurance liability of the other party.  I'm pleased to hear you have a solicitor working on your behalf, but definitely look into a private prosecution.  It's not often done, but in this case I think would be very worthwhile.

Just in care you're unaware,  she's my sons girlfriend , her mother has engaged a solicitor , she's not the type to let it drop so if there's a cross he'll be getting nailed to it .

I'm just glad she's got away with it fairly lightly considering how bad it could have been.

6 hours ago, Wack said:

Had an update , the POS did try and do a runner , a witness chased him until he had to stop because he was driving on the rim 

Within minutes a load of men appeared,  it's a rural area so she thinks they were farmers but I have my doubts 

Probably just on their way back from a demolition job.

20 minutes ago, Wack said:

Just in care you're unaware,  she's my sons girlfriend , her mother has engaged a solicitor , she's not the type to let it drop so if there's a cross he'll be getting nailed to it .

I'm just glad she's got away with it fairly lightly considering how bad it could have been.

The first thing might be to look into the guy's background. If he loses the case, but claims to have no money, and lives surrounded by his relatives on a site the police are scared to visit because there may* be guns there it's going to be very difficult to get any money out of him. And the solicitors and barristers employed  to prosecute him will still want paying.

I am having a hells job trying to get the Westminster's brakes to function.

Like most cars that have not been touched  for a while The bleed nipples are mainly rusted  up. There are one for each rear drum and two for each front disc. Making 6 in total.

The rear brake lines can be detached from the cylinders. However, to remove the cylinders from the backing palate I have to remove the bleed nipples. There is a not a lot of room for a spanner to coax the bloody things to open. Front calipers are NLA. I dare not drill the nipples out and try and find replacements.

I am really thinking about scrapping the car. What with brake issues plus some welding which looks to be beyond my skills. I have not even thought about the total cost either.
So it looks like scrapping the car is the only way. Shame I have never scrapped a car.  It has survived since 1963.

2 hours ago, Remspoor said:

Like most cars that have not been touched  for a while The bleed nipples are mainly rusted  up. There are one for each rear drum and two for each front disc. Making 6 in total.

The rear brake lines can be detached from the cylinders. However, to remove the cylinders from the backing palate I have to remove the bleed nipples. There is a not a lot of room for a spanner to coax the bloody things to open. Front calipers are NLA. I dare not drill the nipples out and try and find replacements.

I am really thinking about scrapping the car. What with brake issues plus some welding which looks to be beyond my skills. I have not even thought about the total cost either.
So it looks like scrapping the car is the only way. Shame I have never scrapped a car.  It has survived since 1963.

Bigg Red can rebuild pretty much any brake calliper

3E0FF33D-C14F-44EC-B44A-60AF65C0B422.png

3 hours ago, Remspoor said:

Westminster- scrap/ Does not compute! Is there nobody local that could lend a hand? 

3 hours ago, Remspoor said:

The bleed nipples are mainly rusted  up.

Something in your favour here is time, since you aren't needing to drive it. Can you get a small socket in there? One that just fits over the nipple end but not the actual hex part. Then give it some good solid whacks end-on with a hammer. Quite often this is all you need to shock the threads loose.

If you can combine doing this repeatedly with some wire brushing and penetrating fluid with time in between attempts, its likely that they will come out OK. 

5 hours ago, Remspoor said:

A useful trick is to find a drill bit that fits snugly into the bleed nipple - that way it is effectively solid rather than hollow so you can apply more force without it collapsing 

2 hours ago, Rocket88 said:

Bigg Red can rebuild pretty much any brake calliper

3E0FF33D-C14F-44EC-B44A-60AF65C0B422.png

Because of Brexit it is horrendously expensive to purchase things from the UK- Here is something I have found---

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334675002640

ebay.png

Add these costs together. That is 19.23 I need six 155. 38 GBP maybe a bit less as packaging maybe able to be rolled into one. Then there is currency exchange. Spanish customs are great at holding up goods.

Ironically these are made in Spain.

What I have found here in Spain is helical repair kits are numerous. However, I understand that these should not be used to repair brake fittings.

I am even willing to use metric bleed valves. it would be easier that trying to find imperial thread cutters.

2 hours ago, Lankytim said:

Westminster- scrap/ Does not compute! Is there nobody local that could lend a hand? 

I have a  friend who is an old school mechanic. He ran a garage that was his fathers and was huge. About 10 x 4 post lifts spray booth and all the equipment one could want. He closed the business recntly and is now a school bus driver. The garage mainly is emtpy. Part is rented out as depot for the company installing high speed internet. Figures released show that Spain's economy is doing well. When in reality like this guy a lot of small companies in rural area  have or are closing.

Thanks for the tips about removing the nipples. I have found some via YT.

Don't forget folks the car needs welding.  Most of which is looking like it is beyond my skills.

I have found this "Westie" in Spain

https://www.milanuncios.com/venta-de-coches-clasicos/austin-vanden-plas-princess-4-litre-r-471567671.htm

Says it needs carbs. Sold as seen. The advert has been on line since Dec last year. Knowing how it works here they will not be up for a offer.

Grump cos the F developed a smoll crack in the coolant bottle. Then grin, filled it up and got it to the guru in Southport without any woe, changed the bottle, new genuwine Rover coolant cap. 25 quid. Grump, celebrated by taking it for a jetwash. The ungrateful thing then refused to start. Dash lights all good but nothing when turning the key. Grin, the bloke prodded the starter motor connections and she started normally. Advice... clean 'em up and nip 'em up, so... grin again.

Thanks for the tips about removing the nipples. I have found some via YT.
Don't forget folks the car needs welding.  Most of which is looking like it is beyond my skills.
I have found this "Westie" in Spain
https://www.milanuncios.com/venta-de-coches-clasicos/austin-vanden-plas-princess-4-litre-r-471567671.htm
Says it needs carbs. Sold as seen. The advert has been on line since Dec last year. Knowing how it works here they will not be up for a offer.

I never like to miss an opportunity to remind people about Nipple Therapy.
http://www.fraserbrowneng.co.uk/index.php?c=nipple-therapy-kit

3 hours ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

Wheel cylinders could be swapped for something more common same for the calipers.

Not allowed everything has to be as constructed unless you get an costly inspection. The work has to be undertaken at an approved garage.

I give you a link via Google translate.

https://mobilize--fs-es.translate.goog/blog/que-modificaciones-de-coche-son-legales-y-como-homologarlas/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

This is from the government department that governs such things. https://www-dgt-es.translate.goog/nuestros-servicios/tu-vehiculo/modificacion-reformas-y-cambio-de-servicio-o-datos/modificacion-y-reformas-de-un-vehiculo/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

I cannot even add daytime running lamps without going through this procedure.

Just now, Remspoor said:

Not allowed everything has to be as constructed unless you get an costly inspection. The work has to be undertaken at an approved garage.

I give you a link via Google translate.

https://mobilize--fs-es.translate.goog/blog/que-modificaciones-de-coche-son-legales-y-como-homologarlas/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

This is from the government department that governs such things. https://www-dgt-es.translate.goog/nuestros-servicios/tu-vehiculo/modificacion-reformas-y-cambio-de-servicio-o-datos/modificacion-y-reformas-de-un-vehiculo/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

I cannot even add daytime running lamps without going through this procedure.

The Westminster shares most of its suspension and brake components with the Healey 100 and 3000.  Parts shouldn't be too much of a problem.  Wheel cylinders are certainly available, and I'd be surprised if there isn't a compatible caliper.