The grumpy thread

outlaw118

4 hours ago, iainrcz said:

According to Herpes my new keyboard was delivered yesterday. At one minute to midnight.

Am I going to have to get upset with someone.

I had dpd uselessness yesterday. Had a delivery of cheese due for the bank holiday, first message was “ sorry we missed you”. I was home! And camera showed no one and no vehicles . It was supposed to have been left even if no-one in as perishable items. But they didn’t even attempt a delivery. Managed to rearrange for pickup at the local coop today. Box has three - perishable items , must be delivered today stickers. Even then the coops dpd scanner didn’t work and wouldn’t accept my qr code from their own app. 
sometimes you can’t win  - get something sent to work because they want a signature and they’ll schedule it for 9pm, send it to home as you’re there for once and they don’t even bother coming.

12 hours ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

OK - riddle me this.

2.2 Hdi Pug Boxer.
2.2 TD4 FreeLander

Suspiciously similar looking hardware under the bonnets but - FreeLoader fuel filter circa £20, Pug Boxer £75?

WTF? Thanks Mr PSA

You should be able to just buy the insert, what year is the Boxer? I don't recall any that you have to buy the complete housing

Down the car boot this morning, didn't actually buy anything. That's not the grump.. 

A guy was selling a load of stuff presumably from his shed. He had a bottle of central hydraulic fluid (Ford/Volvo/Audi etc power steering fluid) that was opened but probably still had about 80% left in it. 

It was a 1 litre bottle, it's just over £10 a pop from Halfords. 

I pick it up, ask how much, he storms over, goes "what is it" - (this really pisses me off and it happens all too often, if you don't know what you're selling that's your problem...) and snatches it from my hand.. 

He stands there examining it for a few seconds, and announces "£15 that, it's fully synthetic so be a lot more from Halfords" and hands it back to me..

Well, it's not oil, so fully synthetic as opposed to what exactly? 

I just chuckled and put it down, then he looked at me as if I had landed from space. "What more do you want?" 

Err, it's a tenner a bottle in Halfords, and yours is opened.. 

I'm getting sick of car boots, so many people seem to bring a load of stuff, overprice it, lie to your face about how much it is brand new or whether it works, or whether it's all complete or whatever

Had a similar thing last week, a 5 litre bottle of Ford branded Castrol 5w-30, its about £30 online when I last bought some. 

I asked how much, he said "£25, costs £90 in the shops that does" 

Now £25 is possibly fair enough but it was really dusty and he hadn't bothered to clean it off, good luck selling it at a car boot for that sort of money. Doesn't fucking cost £90 in the shops though 😂

I think these people are probably the sort that appear as subjects for the eBay idiots thread

47 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I think these people are probably the sort that appear as subjects for the eBay idiots thread

I see it a lot on our local free-ads facebook group thing. 90% of it are people digging something fairly obscure out of the back of a cupboard and asking more or less what it costs new.

"Small oil filled radiator, only used a handful of times £65" 

"Thule roof bar adapter set 848344 missing some of the bolts and rubber bits. Some surface rust, was £80 new would accept £75"

"George at Asda size 18 sundress, worn twice only, cost £12. I'd take £10"

"Selection of watering cans (all about 20 years old and falling apart) £15 each"

21 minutes ago, cobblers said:

I see it a lot on our local free-ads facebook group thing. 90% of it are people digging something fairly obscure out of the back of a cupboard and asking more or less what it costs new.

"Small oil filled radiator, only used a handful of times £65" 

"Thule roof bar adapter set 848344 missing some of the bolts and rubber bits. Some surface rust, was £80 new would accept £75"

"George at Asda size 18 sundress, worn twice only, cost £12. I'd take £10"

"Selection of watering cans (all about 20 years old and falling apart) £15 each"

"TV for sale, has a smashed screen, cost £329 new but will take £150, easy fix for someone who can fix it, been quoted £80 to fix but haven't got the time" 

16 hours ago, richardmorris said:

I had dpd uselessness yesterday. Had a delivery of cheese due for the bank holiday, first message was “ sorry we missed you”. I was home! And camera showed no one and no vehicles . It was supposed to have been left even if no-one in as perishable items. But they didn’t even attempt a delivery. Managed to rearrange for pickup at the local coop today. Box has three - perishable items , must be delivered today stickers. Even then the coops dpd scanner didn’t work and wouldn’t accept my qr code from their own app. 
sometimes you can’t win  - get something sent to work because they want a signature and they’ll schedule it for 9pm, send it to home as you’re there for once and they don’t even bother coming.

Here's my DPD uselessness from yesterday. 

I didn't open the package, that's how it arrived... 

20230826_143645.jpg

22 hours ago, iainrcz said:

According to Herpes my new keyboard was delivered yesterday. At one minute to midnight.

Am I going to have to get upset with someone.

It's turned up, 2 days late. I'm not sure why it was stated as delivered on Friday, but there we are.

6 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

You should be able to just buy the insert, what year is the Boxer? I don't recall any that you have to buy the complete housing

2013 Boxer 250 - this one came with a sealed/one piece unit filter fitted.  It's aftermarket and looks just like the original except it's a one piece/sealed moulding. The originals have  a screw off/on lid that's reputed to be a b'stad to seal correctly.  There's a tool for those like the image below to aid torquing the thing up so you don't crack it.

The inserts for the threaded units  will fit the sealed units but you have to 'hack' the fitting to do so. Some of the motorhome guys have done it successfully using judicious force and the tool when the unit looks threaded - but others have had initial success followed by problems with air locks in the system when their re - sealing has failed. 
Rather than tempt fate I went with a new unit that 'screws' so I should be able to swap in a cheap inner when the time comes - that was the price I moaned about above - these are now about £98 as far as I can see. Original PSA ones are circa £200 and the cheap, one piece ones seem to be £45 or so. Secondhand outers are cheap enough if you want to trust 'em.

Theory is that somebody cracked the original and swapped in the sealed unit rather than cough up a few extra pennies and passed any grief down the line. Kind of same as the Bini DV6  cat/dpf when we got that - instead of the factory issue one that splits we found a single piece unit with a shagged DPF in it that we couldn't just split to swap out (or attempt a clean). Annoying.

image.png.fe2a0329fe061cae1658297ddad6340e.png

4 hours ago, grogee said:

Here's my DPD uselessness from yesterday. 

I didn't open the package, that's how it arrived... 

20230826_143645.jpg

We ordered a set of wheel nuts at work the other week, royal mail postie arrived outside and spent an unusual amount of time in the back of the van

He dropped off a number of parcels, one of which looked exactly like that and sure enough it had to be the wheel nuts... Not even wrapped in a bag, just loosely in the box

He said "I've counted them up and they're all there"

I thought - "err, WTF?".. 

Counted them out myself and true to his word all 20 were miraculously present

I'm just glad that he had the initiative to realise a set of wheel nuts is likely to be 20 and made sure he'd got them all out of his van, but it was fucking stupid of the seller to put them in such delicate packaging and ridiculous for it to have got mullered in the postal service without them bagging it up and putting a "sorry it's damaged" label on it as they usually do or words to that effect 🙄

1 hour ago, RoverFolkUs said:

We ordered a set of wheel nuts at work the other week, royal mail postie arrived outside and spent an unusual amount of time in the back of the van

He dropped off a number of parcels, one of which looked exactly like that and sure enough it had to be the wheel nuts... Not even wrapped in a bag, just loosely in the box

He said "I've counted them up and they're all there"

I thought - "err, WTF?".. 

Counted them out myself and true to his word all 20 were miraculously present

I'm just glad that he had the initiative to realise a set of wheel nuts is likely to be 20 and made sure he'd got them all out of his van, but it was fucking stupid of the seller to put them in such delicate packaging and ridiculous for it to have got mullered in the postal service without them bagging it up and putting a "sorry it's damaged" label on it as they usually do or words to that effect 🙄

Good job it was the postman, a courier would have given you 11.

14 minutes ago, Billy - Medhurst said:

Had to turn down a free*  2005 Rover 75  CDTI Classic saloon as it wont fit in my garage.

*Free to me - but if I scrap it in the future half the scrap money to them.

Location of free 2005 Rover 75 CDTI Classic saloon please and thank you? 😉

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/one-person-hospital-following-crash-27605972

This happened in front of me before, my Civic can be seen in back of shot in the first pic.
Driver passed out at the wheel, veered right, narrowly missed an oncoming car, up the kerb and through the wall of the house on the corner.

13 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Down the car boot this morning, didn't actually buy anything. That's not the grump.. 

A guy was selling a load of stuff presumably from his shed. He had a bottle of central hydraulic fluid (Ford/Volvo/Audi etc power steering fluid) that was opened but probably still had about 80% left in it. 

It was a 1 litre bottle, it's just over £10 a pop from Halfords. 

I pick it up, ask how much, he storms over, goes "what is it" - (this really pisses me off and it happens all too often, if you don't know what you're selling that's your problem...) and snatches it from my hand.. 

He stands there examining it for a few seconds, and announces "£15 that, it's fully synthetic so be a lot more from Halfords" and hands it back to me..

Well, it's not oil, so fully synthetic as opposed to what exactly? 

I just chuckled and put it down, then he looked at me as if I had landed from space. "What more do you want?" 

Err, it's a tenner a bottle in Halfords, and yours is opened.. 

I'm getting sick of car boots, so many people seem to bring a load of stuff, overprice it, lie to your face about how much it is brand new or whether it works, or whether it's all complete or whatever

Had a similar thing last week, a 5 litre bottle of Ford branded Castrol 5w-30, its about £30 online when I last bought some. 

I asked how much, he said "£25, costs £90 in the shops that does" 

Now £25 is possibly fair enough but it was really dusty and he hadn't bothered to clean it off, good luck selling it at a car boot for that sort of money. Doesn't fucking cost £90 in the shops though 😂

Tbf £90 for the oil is probably main dealer price. £18 /l doesn't sound far off the mark.

3 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

Tbf £90 for the oil is probably main dealer price. £18 /l doesn't sound far off the mark.

Yes I see what you mean, but nobody is buying it to top their oil up! 

It was this stuff so £66, not far off

https://shop.ford.co.uk/products/ford-castrol-magnatec-a5-5w30-engine-oil-fully-synthetic-5-litre-5l

But the same stuff is £30 from Arnie' Shark, so just because the dealer price is that means fuck all at a boot sale because he isn't giving me a main dealer service ;)

https://www.arnoldclarkautoparts.com/products/ford-castrol-magnatec-professional-5w-30-a5-fully-synthetic-engine-oil-5-litre?variant=36456156758169&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2020-09-08&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6KunBhDxARIsAKFUGs_SR_4vYUwT6XWjM02fjUedz8Kf318DjG87_4Amw8EHRLXKg8PU7aYaAgOlEALw_wcB

I don't have enough fun with my relatives, so it's time to get involved* with the Mrs's.

Mrs. hasn't seen the parents for like a billion years 'cos her dad once said "live your life" whatever that means, but she translated it to keep the fuck away from us. A chance encounter with her mum on facebook lead to a thawing, and on a recent holiday we went round for a meet up.

Mum is mad as a box of frogs, and gets way too much into my personal space. Appears to think it's fun, but makes me very uncomfortable. I'm not a people person at all.

The only topic is former golden boy John, the Mrs's brother, and the many ways he's fucking up his life. Mum not impressed that he's shagging his cousin. Cousin who has worked out spitting out kids is better than working, and has seven of them to seven different "men friends". John has also decided he'd like to give up working, and take up new hobbies of smoking, drinking, terrible tattoos and looking 20 years older than he is instead. He also supports Leeds United.

Cousin posts way too much on facebook, and is readable by anyone, so it's constant finding out what John is doing wrong now, and outrage at how he's wasting his life. Come back hamster obsession, all is forgiven.

13 minutes ago, jakebullet said:

I don't have enough fun with my relatives, so it's time to get involved* with the Mrs's.

Mrs. hasn't seen the parents for like a billion years 'cos her dad once said "live your life" whatever that means, but she translated it to keep the fuck away from us. A chance encounter with her mum on facebook lead to a thawing, and on a recent holiday we went round for a meet up.

Mum is mad as a box of frogs, and gets way too much into my personal space. Appears to think it's fun, but makes me very uncomfortable. I'm not a people person at all.

The only topic is former golden boy John, the Mrs's brother, and the many ways he's fucking up his life. Mum not impressed that he's shagging his cousin. Cousin who has worked out spitting out kids is better than working, and has seven of them to seven different "men friends". John has also decided he'd like to give up working, and take up new hobbies of smoking, drinking, terrible tattoos and looking 20 years older than he is instead. He also supports Leeds United.

Cousin posts way too much on facebook, and is readable by anyone, so it's constant finding out what John is doing wrong now, and outrage at how he's wasting his life. Come back hamster obsession, all is forgiven.

I really think you should consider the single life. It's been ongoing for quite a while.

10 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Leeds United!

Sounds very degenerate.