Thought I'd make a start on the Discovery clutch today. When I bought it the previous owner told me his mate fitted a new clutch six months earlier.Looking at the bodges to the structure I just shrugged. How it got through an MoT I never knew. The rear seatbelt prescribed area was repaired with a bit of tin and some No-nails (which I peeled off when looking at it) and behind the plastic trim the sills consisted of tin, black mastic and pop rivets. Both inner and outer.
I thought if he had done the clutch I wonder what bodges I will find.I found to select diff lock you have to crawl underneath and move a copper tube that is rammed onto the lever when I first got the car so early indications were Mr Bodger had something to do with the gearbox.
The centre console isn't screwed down.The screws are there and so are the fixings but none are screwed together. With this removed and the top part of the gear lever off I removed the sound deadening to find the next bodge. There is a rubber seal across the tunnel held in place with 12 pop rivets.Mr Bodger decided drilling through all those rivets is too much work so he has sliced through the seal front to back.Yeah if he had removed the seal maybe he would have seen what was happening to the diff lock lever when putting the gearbox back in. I haven'tgot any further yet as I need to move the car in and out of the workshop. The parts won't be delivered until Friday anyway. Yes I have ordered a heavy duty clutch fork before you ask.Wonder what else I will find.