Two weekends fettling has seen little progress, but here's the deets.
As above, I've been using the Scirocco to commute (68.9mpg!), which means the Octavia has been sat during the week. The battery has been on it's way out for a while, and this was the last straw. A quick eBay carparts4less session saw £50 traded for a new Lion job. No photo's because if Halfords could do it you lot won't be interested.
The Octy has been doing a sterling job as a mobile skip, so I thought I'd use lockdown to get round to Secondary Air Injection system (SAI) on it as well. The SAI is a rudimentary emissions system, pre-EGR, they stuck on these to make the fairly old-skool 1.8t design meet more modern emissions standards. During cold start the rich fuel mixture required means you get incomplete combustion and more CO/NO etc. The SAI pumps fresh air from the intake straight to the exhaust during cold start, to allow further combustion in the exhaust and reduce NOx.
The solenoid valve into the exhaust get gummed up, and then the electric air pump dies trying to force air through a closed valve. Tuners remove the system completely, as it makes bugger all difference day to day. But that throws up an EML, and you have to flash the ECU to remove it. Bugger that.
My air pump was still working, but sounded like a strangled cat. Suspect was therefore the solenoid valve.
It lives on the right side of the engine, under the breather system and between the block and air box, above the gearbox. The fresh air piping is the ribbed stuff coming off the airbox. I started stripping and then realised it was all held together with these single-use Oetiker ear clamps. You have to destroy them to remove them. I didn't have any of the right size worm hose clamps and shops were shut. Delay no 1.
After getting to the shops for a load of 5-15mm worm clamps I cracked on.
There's the bugger. With all the fixings removed I tried to get access to the two hex bolts fixing it in. They screw upwards from a flange on the engine into the solenoid unit. Here's a shit photo taken from behind and below the valve with my hand bent back on itself so I could try and work out how to get at it.
You can't get at them from below because the gearbox is in the way. The only way is bending in a U-shape in the six inches of space. You also have to remove a lower coolant hose and what I think are the turbo oil lines.
So fuck that. I'm not draining all the coolant and the oil from the turbo for a slightly annoying noise for 5 seconds on startup.
The wiring needs tidying up (currently the fusebox is cable-tied to the bulkhead)
The coolant temp gauge is on the fritz - fixed
The rev counter doesn't work - incompatible with the new alternator
The gear selector mechanism hits the exhaust, making a nice tinkling noise for about 200rpm of the range
The paintwork is terrible - winter 2020/21 project
Time to tackle the wiring.
When I bought the Scirocco it came with a working but decrepit Blaupunkt Bristol. I replaced that with a working, better, less decrepit Blaupunkt London from the same era. It's recently started spitting the tape out, which is irritating for my 25 mile motorway commute. No cassette-to-aux choons. Plan was to replace it with a mid-'90s era cassette deck out of my old mk3 golf.
Out it came.
Eugh. A lot of people have been at the Scirocco's wiring before me. Those chocolate blocks lead onto further spade connectors further back in the dash. None of the wiring colours match the wiring diagrams. I hate wiring diagrams. My preferred reading option for them is well alight covered in petrol.
I've now started labelling off what things are, and ordered up ISO connectors and heat shrink wrap to bring the radio wiring into this century. I think I'm going to have to chase out each individual wire. Which bodes well for this mess.