What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

It's a case of love at first shite for me today. The legend @Bucketeer has just dropped off my first ever roffle win from @Cookiesouwest. The HRV is great, I've just done about 45 mins in it and reports from Bucketeer are that it covered 200 miles today faultlessly. The blur was me excitedly snapping from the window but my bloody phone wouldn't focus.

Top car and both Bucketeer and Cookiesouwest are absolute gents.

Image from iOS (2).jpg

Image from iOS (3).jpg

On 2/18/2020 at 6:30 PM, hairnet said:

ive always wondered why theres not a bridge(well or maybe a cheaper ferry :D ) from north devon to barry or awansea :D

would beat fuck outta driving round - had to ride from exmoor to fishguard once and its longer than it looks

ps-bristol-queen-1946-5f6df381-da64-48d6-84bd-b87b74c8188-resize-750.jpeg.938fb08084c583e3d7411a44c2dc3621.jpeg

These kind of ships used to ply between Cardiff and various places in North Devon, although not usually in the winter. This is P&A Campbell's Bristol Queen.

Seen both these scenes today which made me chuckle,  I suspect random discs, drums and clutches from what appear to be van and trucks will be in the window of Cash converters for some time, along with an array of other random car /truck spares including hundreds of 24v bulbs..

Bonus pic of focus with excellent bonnet latch repair..

20200221_125401.jpg

20200221_125554.jpg

The low coolant light hasn't come on erroneously once since using a cable tie to keep the sensor plug in place.  Now, that either means there's now a reliable connection at the sensor, or the sensor is now duff.. or the bulb in the dashboard has blown... I mean, it's probably fixed, right?

IMG_20200223_191047.thumb.jpg.208a730a2fdce9ac03bfa8f201053df8.jpg

19 years ago my dad got into a band, then got me into it. We've gone to at least one night on every UK tour since, 10 or so years ago we'd do London, Leeds and Manchester etc 3 nights in a row. 

Tonight is the 20th year anniversary of the album before we got into them. This is it, 20 years has come full circle! Their not as great anymore, the singer's loosing his voice and the new drummer is shit, but it's the Metropolis 2000 Scenes from a Memory 20th year show tonight! 

Today has been an adventure.  We've found the cause of the occasional weird sort-of-rotten sort-of-corpse smell in the kitchen which turned out to be the wallpaper in the hallway, and another unpleasant smell that sometimes wafted at you when coming home which turned out to be dried dog wee under the ancient knackered laminate flooring.  This is good because nobody wants a house that smells of dog wee and corpses.  We only found the cause because we're on to the next phase of DIY, managed to last 1 week of the 1 month self-imposed DIY embargo, we are both idiots.

In other happy news, I got my sewing machine out to check it hadn't suffered from being in storage and I'm pleased to report the old lump is still perfectly happy.  It's a mid to late 1950s Singer that I've had for many years and while it weighs about the same as a Singer Chamois and when in its case seems not far off the same size, it's a fine old machine that has never let me down.  I'm really looking forward to getting back into my sewing again, especially as I need some new shirts and I'd really rather not have to try and buy one if I can make a far nicer one that actually fits me for similar financial outlay.  That and when I can afford the fabric I really want to recover the seats in the BX since they look fairly straightforward to do and the Singer will be more than up to that task since it won't be the first set of car seats its been asked to sort out.

Oh, and we adopted some mice from the local rescue centre, and they're adorable.

image.thumb.png.7037a6a65e6bf2b31296e23fded59cfe.pngBig grin but a bit unusual. Am a private hire driver. Customer was from an address nearby and was going to an address around eight miles away. Young chap who seemed quiet and unassuming, bit of conversation on the journey. He asked about taxi driving, was it worth it, how much my overheads are etc. I assumed he was interested in taking up taxi driving so answered honestly. My car rent/purchase is around £50 per day based on seven days a week working plus diesel etc. Asked what he did. The answer was "I make my money from YouTube and give it back to the people"

I have no idea who he was or whatever he posts on YouTube. Dropped him off at the destination and the fare came to £19.90. Asked if he could pay by card. No problem. Entered the fare and he told me to add the tip. "Oh thanks, how much shall I add on"? Only FIFTY QUID! The guy gave me a fifty pound tip! I was speechless and waffled on a bit, thanking him etc. Didn't know what to say TBH. He just smiled, shook my hand and asked that I pass on some happiness to someone else that comes my way. I feel burdened, so will donate some to a local homeless charity.