The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 hours ago, SiC said:

Iirc @brownnova didn't have a Nova, let alone a Brown Nova for a long time. 

What is left to do on it? Looks quite complete and solid from that picture. 

I owned a brown Nova when I was 18/19, and then again when I was 34… not much of a gap really… 

14 minutes ago, brownnova said:

I owned a brown Nova when I was 18/19, and then again when I was 34… not much of a gap really… 

16 years ... long enough for someone to be born then be old enough to drive a moped on the road and only a year off being old enough to learn to drive ...

Cav has been misfiring, and in the evenings on my way home from work it'd started stalling in traffic. Never in the morning mind...

Replaced the dizzy cap and arm: the cap wasn't worn, but it was completely unbranded and had witness marks where the rotor arm had been striking the poles. The rotor arm also had damage where it's been striking the poles. A new QH arm and Intermotor cap have made a notable difference to the cranking and idle.
I replaced the rocker gasket as it was weeping (had previously been replaced but bolts weren't torqued down so it leaked and contaminated the gasket), and also separated two HT leads that were cable tied together.

Did that and some rear dampers, and discs/pads all round, and between that and some new Uniroyals and an oil change over the past week - seems to be running and riding miles better. Happy days.

It shows clear signs that someone's been servicing it, but I think they've been using the cheapest parts Autodoc have on offer (unbranded HT leads, dizzy cap, and Herth&Buss oil filter - and some GM (Delco?) branded spark plugs that I'm sure Autodoc used to sell), and it's just a false economy.

4 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

Dragged the Imp out for the 1st time in about 5 years today as needed to tidy up the garage.

20231008_163949.thumb.jpg.b4e4ee6b3404411e720d4fc66a52ac8d.jpg

Its 60 soon, I bought it when it was under 40. I think I need to come to terms with the fact that I'm not going to finish it and move it on. 

The big question is, when it does happen what do I do with my username? 

It has Implications. My first car was a Californian, EDY667E. What does it need? :)

I fitted an upgraded set of horns to the Getz yesterday.

20231007_143314.thumb.jpg.61634a9b6b59d97eb8799014ced96534.jpg

They're Hella Sharptones - they're similar to Supertones but pitched closer together.  They're a bit* more strident than the pathetic standard issue Hyundai horn.  I anticipate that they will come in useful - I've already had a couple of occasions when other motorists have misunderestimated the speed I was travelling at, presumably seeing a Getz and assuming giffer.

That was the only thing of note I got done this weekend - the rest of the fettling time I had was spent going over the Maxus in advance of its upcoming MOT, and sticking the Rover and Toyota up on the ramps to do some rustproofing in advance of winter.

On Friday night I went to see a mate, and decided to take the Renault 6, as it needed a good run and I wanted to check properly whether the offside front brake is now sorted.  The good news is that the brake didn't stick on (noticeably) at all over the 25-mile round trip, although the wheel was a little hot when I got home so the pads are evidently still rubbing a bit - I can live with that.  The bad news is that the nearside front tyre - which is one of the ones slated for replacement - decided that it had been holding air for long enough and it wasn't interested in doing so anymore.  So when I left my mate's at about 1am I came out to a flat tyre.  So we had to change the wheel by torchlight in his driveway, which was fun*. 

The spare wheel, which has never been used in my ownership and has a tyre almost as ancient as the one that had been on the car, was freed fairly easily from its cradle under the boot floor, and the tyre held air when pumped up with mate's compressor.  So on the car it went and I pootled home, staying below 50 as I wasn't sure how long the tyre would last - it held up fine though, which is good as I only bought two tyres and one is going to have to go on the Renault 4 which has developed an egg on one of the inner sidewalls.  I just need to get onto the local tyre place to get them swapped over.

Also, weirdly, the aux belt tensioner had come completely loose and was flapping around so much that it was twatting the water pump pulley.  No idea how that had happened, but I've tightened it back up and all seems well now.  I'm surprised the belt was managing to drive the pump and alternator, given how loose it was, especially with the headlights on.

31 minutes ago, ruffgeezer said:

Booked the Laguna in for it's Mot on Thursday.

It still needs the front wheels rebalanced, the tpms reprogramming and a loose heat shield sorting.

Other than that and a small service, it'll be ready to go up for sale. 

Do miss my old identical one! If the Xsara wasn't trustworthy enough to be good over winter now I'd be pondering a swap 🤣 Probably a bit spenner on pez for my driving though, although is it the same 6 speed box we had in the silver one? 

This morning my son moved his motorcycle and other bits and pieces that were blocking my Reliant in the garage, moved his car leaving a clear driveway and said 'no excuses now.'   I therefore somewhat reluctantly ('cos old and mojo dormant) threaded myself into the Reliant after connecting its battery, turned the key and it started remarkably easily.  The new fuel pump diaphragm (ethanol compatible) that I fitted in June 2022 has made quite a difference to the speed of priming the system after long periods of inactivity.  The last garage start was in February this year but I did not drive it on that occasion.  With all appropriate checks made and tyre pressures topped up I drove to the closest end of our cul-de-sac and back a couple of times (i.e. about 500 metres total), rechecked under the bonnet for leaks - all was well - then drove around the estate - probably about a mile.  By this time I was sweating profusely because it is so warm today and the Reliant, even with its two sliding windows fully open, soon gets even warmer inside as the engine sits mostly in the cabin under a cowling.  That is enough for the moment.  I'll add a photo or two in another post later when I find my camera. No smartphone here! 

Spent most of the day trying to sort a few odd jobs on my car while stepdaughter's boyfriend gave the new Saab a mini valet. The upholstery was cleaned with our Bissell spot cleaner and the water which came out was surprisingly light coloured compared to when I did the Mini last summer (the water which came out of that was black). He's very proud of his wheels and can't wait for his insurance to start next weekend (it saved him £300 on the annual premium).

My car has its niggles. The headlamps were last polished with what appears to be granite. Autosol didn't do much so I will need to get some wet & dry starting at 400 grit and all the way up to 5000. The improvement it made when I did the Kia was night and day, and as the Citroen also needs its cataracts removing buying wet & dry is cheaper than 2 kits.

I wanted also to reposition the wiper arms, 1 the driver's one bashes the top of the scuttle, and 2 there is the tiniest TRIANGLE OF DOOM which excels in the dribble of disappointment. Both wiper arms seized on so I need to get a little puller for them. Hoovered my car out and gave it a thorough* wash.

I also need to find a broken wire somewhere in the loom to make the air con work again.

26 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

Both wiper arms seized on so I need to get a little puller for them

This is the best puller I've ever bought:

BGS 7794 | Windscreen Wiper Arm Puller | for Honda, Opel, VW https://amzn.eu/d/fWCIkKF

While it's expensive, the other you can get I've found either bend/snap or don't grip when applying force. That one hasn't failed to remove an arm. When it does go, it does let go with some force though!

6 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Do miss my old identical one! If the Xsara wasn't trustworthy enough to be good over winter now I'd be pondering a swap 🤣 Probably a bit spenner on pez for my driving though, although is it the same 6 speed box we had in the silver one? 

Nope, this one is the 2.0T automatic! 

3 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Tremendous, what a lovely example!

Thanks.  It looks tidy from a few paces.  Everything works except for the fuel sender but there are numerous jobs which could be done to improve it e.g. repair a tear in the front passenger seat, replace some sketchy looking wiring, buy some new cross plies, maybe even give the body a thorough rub down to attend to typically crazed 62 years old fibreglass and a respray in an original Reliant colour.  I would hesitate to reinstate the colour this one had from new - a sort of drab mid grey.  I'd go for either the pale blue or maroon options.  When I bought it in 1992 as an intact but barely running example which had been off the road for at least 10 years after nearly 100k miles of service with the original owner, it needed extensive refurbishment including a new marine ply floor (a standard feature, not a bodge!), £900 of engine reconditioning (rebore etc) and a new carb of the correct type.  The chassis,  fibre glass bodywork/wooden frame and engine are in very good condition. It took me until 2005 to get it roadworthy but it has not given significant problems since. From South Northants, I have driven it to Lincolnshire and back, North of Birmingham a couple of times and to somewhere South of Birmingham twice for Reliant Rallies and more locally in subsequent years. Performance?  17.5bhp requires careful handling on modern roads. It will happily cruise at any speed in the 40-55mph range and reach just over 60mph flat out. Mechanical sympathy has prevented me from exceeding 55mph.  >45mpg is typical. Roadholding requires one to concentrate.  The unassisted hydraulic drum brakes are adequate. The handbrake will easily lock the rear wheels.   I'm not ageing as well as the car, making it very difficult to get in and out of it particularly in my garage. I may decide to sell it soon.  

1 hour ago, RayMK said:

Thanks.  It looks tidy from a few paces.  Everything works except for the fuel sender but there are numerous jobs which could be done to improve it e.g. repair a tear in the front passenger seat, replace some sketchy looking wiring, buy some new cross plies, maybe even give the body a thorough rub down to attend to typically crazed 62 years old fibreglass and a respray in an original Reliant colour.  I would hesitate to reinstate the colour this one had from new - a sort of drab mid grey.  I'd go for either the pale blue or maroon options.  When I bought it in 1992 as an intact but barely running example which had been off the road for at least 10 years after nearly 100k miles of service with the original owner, it needed extensive refurbishment including a new marine ply floor (a standard feature, not a bodge!), £900 of engine reconditioning (rebore etc) and a new carb of the correct type.  The chassis,  fibre glass bodywork/wooden frame and engine are in very good condition. It took me until 2005 to get it roadworthy but it has not given significant problems since. From South Northants, I have driven it to Lincolnshire and back, North of Birmingham a couple of times and to somewhere South of Birmingham twice for Reliant Rallies and more locally in subsequent years. Performance?  17.5bhp requires careful handling on modern roads. It will happily cruise at any speed in the 40-55mph range and reach just over 60mph flat out. Mechanical sympathy has prevented me from exceeding 55mph.  >45mpg is typical. Roadholding requires one to concentrate.  The unassisted hydraulic drum brakes are adequate. The handbrake will easily lock the rear wheels.   I'm not ageing as well as the car, making it very difficult to get in and out of it particularly in my garage. I may decide to sell it soon.  

Why cross plies?

50 minutes ago, Rocket88 said:

Why cross plies?

Cross plies were the original fitment and suit the characteristics of the car.  Radials of equivalent size have been tried by some owners but differences in aspect ratio and width between sidewalls can cause fouling with the bodywork, as was the case with mine when I bought it in 1992.  

I've just got another year's ticket on the old Scirocco. I successfully ran this for a decade on an actual shoestring,  but then the decision had to be made: move it on or spend some real money. I can confirm that the shabby little fucker is bleeding me dry, but by God, it's fun to drive when it's on form.

We’ve just got back from the 20 week scan, and we’ve found out that we are expecting a girl who looks to be healthy and normal.

I had tried not to get my hopes up, but seeing as we have a son already I really wanted to have a daughter as our second child. I’m over the moon at the news 😁

6 hours ago, barefoot said:

I've just got another year's ticket on the old Scirocco. I successfully ran this for a decade on an actual shoestring,  but then the decision had to be made: move it on or spend some real money. I can confirm that the shabby little fucker is bleeding me dry, but by God, it's fun to drive when it's on form.

Is that a Mk 1? Saw one recently on the road, looks way better than any Golf

4 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

We’ve just got back from the 20 week scan, and we’ve found out that we are expecting a girl who looks to be healthy and normal.

I had tried not to get my hopes up, but seeing as we have a son already I really wanted to have a daughter as our second child. I’m over the moon at the news 😁

Fantastic! Hope all goes smoothly until OMG IT'S CRYING :)