The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On 10/6/2023 at 12:10 PM, RayMK said:

We've spoken to a couple on the 'phone.  They were not keen to take it further because, although there is a rudimentary diagnostic connector on the loom under the bonnet, no-one (including long established Fiat dealers) has the original Fiat diagnostic device or anything compatible with it.  It would be a project to get anything to read it.  There are a couple of UK companies who could repair or clone the Digiplex ECU if that was found to be the problem.  Prices start at £200 .... much more if it proves a difficult one.  The car is worth £600.  I'm not an eBay optimist who would try for £2K.  My preferred budget is <£400 to fix the Tipo.  I'll update with my findings after waving my multimeter leads about next week 😁

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but what year is the car? Because Multiecuscan (Vagcom for Fiat's) list the software as suitable for Bosch Monomotronic Tipos through the 3pin connector. 

There is a limited free edition of Multiecuscan.

https://www.multiecuscan.net/SupportedVehiclesList.aspx

27 minutes ago, artdjones said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but what year is the car? Because Multiecuscan (Vagcom for Fiat's) list the software as suitable for Bosch Monomotronic Tipos through the 3pin connector. 

There is a limited free edition of Multiecuscan.

https://www.multiecuscan.net/SupportedVehiclesList.aspx

Year of manufacture 1994, first registered August 1994.  The fuel injection system has its own ECU.  All indications on mine (symptoms, wiring diagrams etc) point to an ignition problem which is controlled by a Magneti Marelli Digiplex 2 ECU.  The 1.4ie 1372cc engine in my Tipo has,  according to all information unearthed so far,  got a late configuration set-up which is listed in many sources as being very similar to the 1.6ie.  With the help received from the Fiat forum and more recently from a few posts back on this thread, I now have sufficient information to carry out a number of straightforward checks (mainly continuity/test light)  and measurements (mainly resistance) without needing to find diagnostic equipment compatible with the Digiplex 2 ECU.  I hope to do the checks and measurements next week.

2 hours ago, RayMK said:

without needing to find diagnostic equipment compatible with the Digiplex 2 ECU

This appears to be the diagnostic system for the Digiplex 2

http://baddinsbits.altervista.org/fltmods.html

I don't think it'll be of much use to be honest. Reading from Ferrari/Lancia owners who some cars use a similar Digiplex 2, the readout is essentially giving the current timing angle and rpm. Also starter signal and idle switch. There isn't much in the way of inputs into the Digiplex to give much more information! There's nothing it even can do to detect misfire, knock or stuff like that as it doesn't have the sensors going into it to detect that.

5 hours ago, loserone said:

Swift pint at the Esso garage before getting back on the road.  Brakes are freeing up but the rear wheel bearings are fucked.

Nice to meet you @Aston Martin

PXL_20231007_181754080.jpg

PXL_20231007_161201755.jpg

PXL_20231007_161201755.jpg

Home uneventfully, but not before midnight.  Twelve and a half hour collection.   And I still have stuff in the back of the Duster.

On 10/7/2023 at 12:19 PM, egg said:

New Nexens on the front for the i10 today...replacing Nexens. They are a bit expensive because 175/60/14 is quite a rare size compared to 175/65/14.

image.thumb.jpeg.1049720b125bda142fa1ec860f3adb03.jpeg

Odd, I've always known these to have 165/60/R14 which are comparatively one of the cheapest sizes out there. I wonder if someone has erroneously fitted 175's in the past and your fitter has quite rightly/understandably just gone with a like for like

3 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Odd, I've always known these to have 165/60/R14 which are comparatively one of the cheapest sizes out there. I wonder if someone has erroneously fitted 175's in the past and your fitter has quite rightly/understandably just gone with a like for like

I think it's because it's an auto it has it's specific size - and the label on the door jam says 175/60/14, it does have 65's on the rear which I'll switch to 60's when the time comes. 

I was wondering how long it would take the Xsara Picasso to throw some sort of mechanical malfunction at me, well it seems after 18 months of ownership is the answer! 

Have been noticing a "hot chemical" smell coming through the cab which I thought smelt like antifreeze but upon checking today it turns out the PAS fluid has dropped below minimum and has been ejected and sprayed all over the subframe 🙃

I thought I was imagining the engine sounding slightly noisier than normal but it's so slight I thought nothing of it. But the fact it's running low on PAS fluid probably answers that mystery* as well. 

Lovely. 

The rack, pipes and pressure switch are all soaked. I'm hoping it's actually just something wrong with the pressure switch by whichever means it seals, because that would be a bit easier to sort than the other two possibilities. 

I don't think 18 months of nothing going wrong is bad at all for a £500 car to be honest! Aside from a couple of tyres and an exhaust mount it's needed nothing else to date. 

Dragged the Imp out for the 1st time in about 5 years today as needed to tidy up the garage.

20231008_163949.thumb.jpg.b4e4ee6b3404411e720d4fc66a52ac8d.jpg

Its 60 soon, I bought it when it was under 40. I think I need to come to terms with the fact that I'm not going to finish it and move it on. 

The big question is, when it does happen what do I do with my username? 

Back home with the now-ex @CaptainBoom Saab. It was a wonderful old thing to pilot back to Sussex. Very comfortable seat and a much smoother ride than the NG9-3. If there was a little more cabin space for someone of my svelte* build I’d be getting one for myself, as it’s nicer handling and riding car than the NG.

This one is for stepdaughter’s boyfriend, showed him the ad on here, thought it was worth looking at and compared to the absolute shonkiness of cars in his price range round here it’s a billy bargain; he doesn’t need to worry about ULEZ for the moment, and insurance quotes for a new driver on a first car were very reasonable adding madam as a named driver at around £1500 for the year - cheaper than some more modern hatchbacks.

23 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

Dragged the Imp out for the 1st time in about 5 years today as needed to tidy up the garage.

Its 60 soon, I bought it when it was under 40. I think I need to come to terms with the fact that I'm not going to finish it and move it on. 

Impless?

23 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

Hillman-Limp?

5 minutes ago, SiC said:

Iirc @brownnova didn't have a Nova, let alone a Brown Nova for a long time. 

What is left to do on it? Looks quite complete and solid from that picture. 

How long is a piece of string, I guess. I bought it as a £600 car but a working one is now a £6,000 car.

From my perspective, it needs painting and putting together. I assume that they're now worth something, any buyer will probably do a fair bit of work redoing a lot of the stuff I've done, but properly, especially as repair panels are much more available now but think I can sell it as a good base to build on.

I need to find out what my engine is, although still have the original too. Seem to remember the one I bought is a bit of an oddity, like a 946cc or something random. It'll probably need work too now mind you.

Plus I've got loads of upgraded parts. Will spend next weekend digging them out. Will need to look on the Imp page to try and gauge a value. Probably a couple of grand, maybe a bit more with all the spares. 

7 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

Thats what my mum calls them as the one she bought new in 1976 never worked and always broke down. 😂

My aunt used to have a bag of cement under the front bonnet of her brand new one, to give the front end traction and stop it wandering at speed.