The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

58 minutes ago, RetroShite said:

The winner of the Lexus LS400 turned out to be a previous forum member "Pogweasel" Not only did he win the Lexus but he also won the Mercedes 300CE a few weeks ago.

What a lucky bastard!

384243409_651591047056574_8453121831289449186_n.jpg

387876017_7012725128746731_7099983234681395038_n.jpg

How did I miss that? Was it up on here? I don't do FB

Officially properly up for sale now.  The cause of sale is a house move caused by (totally amicable, no drama) relationship ending, or rather turning into a friendship.  Would very much appreciate a hassle free sale as I've got quite enough adulting to deal with over the next few months.

On 14/10/2023 at 13:18, EyesWeldedShut said:

TR6 had the Triumph straight six in it at 2500cc with twin carbs or injection.
Same engine was in my Vitesse at 2000cc with twin carbs - the exhaust was virtually a straight pipe and the wee thing burbled away nicely like you say - drank fuel like a Glaswegian Jakie on Buckie
Like @artdjones says - the GT6 also ran the 2000cc version too (early Vitesse had a 1600cc version of the straight six). I think you got about 90 HP out of the 2000 but the TR6 got about 130 BHP

There's about 83 different power outputs on the Triumph straight six depending on model and year but the early TR6s had 150bhp and early 2.5PI saloons had 132bhp by having a different cam more suited to to a saloon car. Later cars lost a bit of power as more emmisions gubbins was added and the last 2500S which replaced the 2.5PI only had 106bhp on its twin SUs which was not great for a 2.5 even then. Despite this they still went well enough, mixture of better low down torque and revised gearing I think. 

These days of course most cars have probably had at least one engine swap and there are plenty of GT6s and Vitesses with 2.5 engines which they never sold with. I once had a very early mk1 2000 with a mere 91hp mated to a Borg Warner 3 speed auto. It was slower than my 1300 TC but that didn't matter because it had that straight six under the bonnet. And these days most of the big saloons have a Chris Witor stainless exhaust and sound absolutely glorious. I've said several times on these pages that the Triumph straight six is the best sounding engine out there, I'm glad some other people have started noticing this too!

7 hours ago, Yoss said:

There's about 83 different power outputs on the Triumph straight six depending on model and year but the early TR6s had 150bhp and early 2.5PI saloons had 132bhp by having a different cam more suited to to a saloon car. Later cars lost a bit of power as more emmisions gubbins was added and the last 2500S which replaced the 2.5PI only had 106bhp on its twin SUs which was not great for a 2.5 even then. Despite this they still went well enough, mixture of better low down torque and revised gearing I think. 

These days of course most cars have probably had at least one engine swap and there are plenty of GT6s and Vitesses with 2.5 engines which they never sold with. I once had a very early mk1 2000 with a mere 91hp mated to a Borg Warner 3 speed auto. It was slower than my 1300 TC but that didn't matter because it had that straight six under the bonnet. And these days most of the big saloons have a Chris Witor stainless exhaust and sound absolutely glorious. I've said several times on these pages that the Triumph straight six is the best sounding engine out there, I'm glad some other people have started noticing this too!

I still hanker after one of these but, to be honest, I don't really have the facilities to properly look after a 1970s car (so I'm running the 940 as our estate car)
image.thumb.png.b328afef06e00edf68efe42c1a35532f.png

7 hours ago, Yoss said:

At some point Triumph changed over from quoting HP to SAE standards to doing it to DIN standards, which are lower. Early TR6s are 150hp (SAE) and later ones 125hp (DIN) but there's not much real difference between them. 

35 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

I still hanker after one of these but, to be honest, I don't really have the facilities to properly look after a 1970s car (so I'm running the 940 as our estate car)
image.thumb.png.b328afef06e00edf68efe42c1a35532f.png

Ooh, that's nice. Looks like Saffron yellow. You see quite a few TR6s in that colour but very few saloons. Also, that's a Chris Witor exhaust, that'll sound lovely.

I'd love another one too but prices went silly a few years ago. There used to be a time when they cost about the same as as the small saloons, although that was about thirty years ago admittedly. Also I only have one garage and I've built shelving and a bench all around the 1300 for maximum storage so I'd struggle to get one in. I could leave it outside if course, I'm just making excuses now.

17 minutes ago, artdjones said:

At some point Triumph changed over from quoting HP to SAE standards to doing it to DIN standards, which are lower. Early TR6s are 150hp (SAE) and later ones 125hp (DIN) but there's not much real difference between them. 

They did but the two measurements are much closer than that, the above was mostly down to emmisions control, though fortunately we weren't in the US where even stricter controls meant the TR5 and 6 had twin carbs instead of injection and a mere 111hp.

Obviously I was exaggerating for comic* effect but as an example the  mk1 2000 saloon only had 91hp whilst the Vitesse and GT6 had 104hp at the same time. Many of those engines found their way in to the saloons over the years.

Modern daily fiat has developed an indicator fault. It was intermittent but now permanently not working. Its part of the led headlamp unit and dies switch off the white led drl, but doesn't turn the orange one on. Clicks at double speed too. Thames fiat in Slough have booked it in next Tuesday where hopefully they can fix it under warranty. 

20230326_110510.jpg

5 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Modern daily fiat has developed an indicator fault. It was intermittent but now permanently not working. Its part of the led headlamp unit and dies switch off the white led drl, but doesn't turn the orange one on. Clicks at double speed too. Thames fiat in Slough have booked it in next Tuesday where hopefully they can fix it under warranty. 

20230326_110510.jpg

Typically it’s fixed itself on the way home. Must be a loose connection so hope it’s showing faulty at the dealer next week. Italian electrics!

The galaxy mot booked for 23rd... I have apologised in advance to mot tester if I don't get a chance too clean it as the missus has had it 3 weeks and is below my standard..but I'll bloody well try too get it hoovered out and washed... I volunteered erindoors that she will be assisting me too.

Also someone one twated the n/s door mirror scratched the paintwork on the casing but thankfully the scratches on the door and wing wiped off... though I was expecting more when swmbo rang me at work saying sorry someone's hit ur car... I almost lost the last 5 strands of hair...

Hi,

I think the laguna 2 has fallen out of flavour here a bit. 😀 I don't know if I should create a thread on my new purchase. A laguna 2 Gt, with the detuned Megane Rs motor and the special black and red interior.

The best bit is the the lpg system. But it has been standing outside for 12 years after the gearbox failed...

Have a few pics. First task was a wash. Worst bit was cleaning out the fuel Tank with 20l of gummed up stale fuel which has already ruined 2 fuel pumps.

Dan

20231012_165559.jpg

20231012_164142.jpg

20231014_130236.jpg

:) The exterior colour is boring. So actually this Red leather is a Bonus...

Before setting off for the collection we had to fix my friend's Super Shite espace v6. Now the previously dead Radiator Fan comes on with the lights. And of course the police stopped us and we were lucky the let us off with a 30 Euro fine...

The laguna is a shared project with a friend who has just overcome cancer.

Dan

IMG-20230816-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20230816-WA0020.jpg

I have decided to keep the SLK and SORN it for the winter. I was going to cancel the insurance too but the bastards wanted £80!

I feel I am spending too much money on cars at the moment.

I'm a bit surprised at how long this one was for sale before I bought it but as such not so much at the lack of bites when I advertised it yesterday.  I guess it was only up for a day though. Anyway they are really fun cars and it's exceptionally easy to light up the rear tyres. They are also very comfortable and the build quality is surprisingly good for a late 90s Merc.

I'd totally recommend trying one.

1 hour ago, Daniel R25 said:

I think the laguna 2 has fallen out of flavour here a bit. 😀 I don't know if I should create a thread on my new purchase. A laguna 2 Gt, with the detuned Megane Rs motor and the special black and red interior.

Yes Yes Yes!

Still some big Laguna II fans here (myself very much included)

7 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Why? No vehicle to take you there and choose what you actually want?

Truly spoken by somebody that doesn’t hate i) Christmas ii) people iii) shopping.  The combination of all three is a conflagration of all that is wrong with humanity.

23 minutes ago, loserone said:

Absolutely fuck actually going to supermarkets 

My partner loves going into supermarkets.  Sometimes she visits multiple supermarkets in a day, especially if there’s a good Lidl or Aldi.

I don’t understand and am considering psychological intervention.

2 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Truly spoken by somebody that doesn’t hate i) Christmas ii) people iii) shopping.  The combination of all three is a conflagration of all that is wrong with humanity.

You know me too well GM, I hate the Xmas shopping panic induced grab-fest!

10 minutes ago, egg said:

Luton, at the turn of the Century me and Mrs Egg looked at a flat in the area, it was about £30k, and the mortgage would have been pennies, but the street urchins and general sense of decay put us off!

When my partner moved in with me back in 2016, we were in a small flat in Gravesend.  We looked to move a couple of months later as I'd got a new job elsewhere and the first thing I said to her was: 'Not Medway and definitely not Chatham'.

It's not even that they're any worse than Gravesend or Ashford.  It's that the transport links out are so bad that it's hard to escape...

On 17/10/2023 at 09:41, barefoot said:

Yesterday, I booked my xmas delivery from Sainsbury's.

And this morning,  I bought and wrapped the last of my gifts. That just leaves the meat to order tomorrow when I go to the butcher’s and the cards to write when I get home. Then I can relax and look forward to spending the whole of the xmas month in a totally stress free drunken stupor.

I fucking love December!

1 hour ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

When my partner moved in with me back in 2016, we were in a small flat in Gravesend.  We looked to move a couple of months later as I'd got a new job elsewhere and the first thing I said to her was: 'Not Medway and definitely not Chatham'.

It's not even that they're any worse than Gravesend or Ashford.  It's that the transport links out are so bad that it's hard to escape...

Doesn’t Strood and Rochester now have a fast train under 30 min into London ( though I gather it’s twice the price of the slow train). Chatham always had a good service to Victoria (40 min) even in the 80s.

I escaped from Medway 30 years ago and can’t say I’ve ever regretted it.