The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

18 hours ago, GMcD said:

Mind this? (GR86 order) 

Well I properly bottle jobbed it, shat it and pulled my order (although it wasn't really a factory order, they are already built and in the UK) 

The thought of almost 34K tied up in a car was making me sick to my stomach with anxiety. I think I was being over-ambitious.

I don't feel like I'm missing out. In fact I feel relieved.  

Mucho admiration. Pulling the trigger on a £6k car was, for me, bad enough.

18 hours ago, trigger said:

I've got a bit of a random question, my car insurance covers me to drive any car that's already insured but with the owners permission and 3rd party only, like many people, does that cover me then to drive a car thats on a traders policy?

If your "drive other cars" cover is only valid for cars that are also insured under another policy, then no it wouldn't.  Some policies offer cover to drive other cars whether they are insured or not, but those are few and far between these days.

The only way you'd be covered to drive a car on my policy is if I was sat in the car with you because I have demonstration cover.  Assume most policies are the same.

Fun drive to the office this morning.

IMG_20230706_142631.thumb.jpg.dbacc81c460164afd93e1098b283c59f.jpg

Passed the wild, wild horses (well ponies).

IMG_20230706_143042.thumb.jpg.38bd0dd09629404c5e224f4d73d56dca.jpg

And then last kilometre on foot

IMG_20230706_093900.thumb.jpg.c12e3dc661df51d695752c5b48626eb3.jpg

while our kit was brought in by tracked ATV.

IMG_20230706_140405.thumb.jpg.83fb89cc4816dcfe2a3f7416de01d2df.jpg

Our destination was the valve house by a reservoir for a hydroelectric power station.

IMG_20230706_093905.thumb.jpg.4f9059caeffc6147c8b02a0fc05a7c8b.jpg

I spent the day in here as Entry Controller.

IMG_20230706_095434__01.thumb.jpg.62b68d8fc4d09e2e2430dfe50c4cf87c.jpg

Guiding men into a tight rusty hole

IMG_20230706_123610.thumb.jpg.12571903e90f183ebac3ee81c892a422.jpg

so they could measure how much the pipes have rusted in the last 100 years

IMG_20230706_123618.thumb.jpg.e1039ac8340b7bc1aa5d61a55bec92e6.jpg

IMG_20230706_124221.thumb.jpg.8c57d744c4c1a380d30d0c668495d4ae.jpg

IMG_20230706_132143.thumb.jpg.a9b2ddf18976afecaaca41235460dd20.jpg

Four Goodyear EfficientGrips for the Lexus as the Autogreen it had on there were dangerous in the wet, setting the traction control light off and generally feeling like they had no grip at any speed. It actually spun at low speed in a (thankfully empty) Tesco car park, so I decided the buck stopped there. Was expecting a hefty bill for 16"s. Did some shopping around, and my local Protyre turned out the best value - a discount code got me the Goodyears for less than any other brand name tyre - £302 fitted same day. Even Costco was more expensive! 

PXL_20230706_153259016.jpg

5 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Four Goodyear EfficientGrips for the Lexus as the Autogreen it had on there were dangerous in the wet, setting the traction control light off and generally feeling like they had no grip at any speed. It actually spun at low speed in a (thankfully empty) Tesco car park, so I decided the buck stopped there. Was expecting a hefty bill for 16"s. Did some shopping around, and my local Protyre turned out the best value - a discount code got me the Goodyears for less than any other brand name tyre - £302 fitted same day. Even Costco was more expensive! 

I've also found ProTyre to be the best, in terms of bang for buck, especially when it comes to midrange tyres. Used my local one a few times and had no problems.

1 hour ago, egg said:

I came across this today online, it's a Allegro er, Beetle 🥴

https://www.instagram.com/b33jyy/

mash.thumb.JPG.3cce68c2f5dfa5b6d1506fc6ecd0f9e6.JPG

There are a few Allegros built on Beetles now. So as well as being shit it isn't even original...

Although shit, expensive and unoriginal seems to be a decent summary of most of the modern V Dub scene so I guess it's fitting.

I’ve been trying to make our driveway bigger and have had some success today. 

Years ago when I lived on this road, the gravel area was all garden, the only driveway was in front of the garage. 

Luckily the last owners gravelled this area which is ideal but it wasn’t quite big enough for 2 cars comfortably as there was a chain link fence and a horrible really sharp bush there too.

With the addition of the Volvo to the fleet it spurred me on to dig the posts out and get rid of the bush. 

Forgot to take any pics prior, but I’ve screenshotted the edge of an old photo I had from when we moved in. 

I still need to dig the root out but the drain is stupidly raised so I won’t gain much space by getting rid completely so I might just try and kill the root.

Anyway, space for activities! Much easier access now. 

IMG_0009.jpeg

IMG_0008.jpeg

IMG_0003.jpeg

22 hours ago, Ghosty said:

I reckon for normal driving pound for pound the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 2's are about the best tyre available - they last so much longer than anything else and are safe and predictable in the wet or dry. The only down side for them is when pushing on as the sidewalls are soft, but this makes the car ride more smoothly, which is more preferable than sporty handling to me.

16 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I’ve been trying to make our driveway bigger and have had some success today. 

Years ago when I lived on this road, the gravel area was all garden, the only driveway was in front of the garage. 

Luckily the last owners gravelled this area which is ideal but it wasn’t quite big enough for 2 car’s comfortably as there was a chain link fence and a horrible really sharp bush there too.

With the addition of the Volvo to the fleet it spurred me on to dig the posts out and get rid of the bush. 

Forgot to take any pics prior, but I’ve screenshotted the edge of an old photo I had from when we moved in. 

I still need to dig the root out but the drain is stupidly raised so I won’t gain much space by getting rid completely so I might just try and kill the root.

Anyway, space for activities! Much easier access now. 

IMG_0009.jpeg

IMG_0008.jpeg

IMG_0003.jpeg

That raised drain cover should be fairly straight forward to lower by removing a course of bricks for a man of your many talents.

The one behind the Volvo can stay like it as it’s too close to the house for me to park any closer to be honest, the one in front of the cars however may eventually have to have something done to it as when we first moved in I put the Transit straight through it, Anglian Water replaced it but all the cement around it has cracked within 6 months so I think it needs lowering as it sits just a bit too high. 

My talents* certainly don’t extend to that though!

2 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

The one behind the Volvo can stay like it as it’s too close to the house for me to park any closer to be honest, the one in front of the cars however may eventually have to have something done to it as when we first moved in I put the Transit straight through it, Anglian Water replaced it but all the cement around it has cracked within 6 months so I think it needs lowering as it sits just a bit too high. 

My talents* certainly don’t extend to that though!

You’d be surprised how simple it is. I replaced two when I re-did the garden, was probably the easiest part!

3 hours ago, Popsicle said:

I reckon for normal driving pound for pound the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 2's are about the best tyre available - they last so much longer than anything else and are safe and predictable in the wet or dry. The only down side for them is when pushing on as the sidewalls are soft, but this makes the car ride more smoothly, which is more preferable than sporty handling to me.

I’ve used the efficient grip performance for over 15 years from c5 to the w124. Excellent wear and handling. I like the softer sidewall= comfier.

16 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Indeed, the whole thing is baffling. A Colc-style shoehorning of a Golf front end into the engine bay would be less perplexing.

Saw an astra mk1 GTE, shoehorned over a calibra turbo 4x4 floorpan. That made sense to me. 

Oil change for the Cav. Its only done a few hundred miles since the last one but its due on time.

20230707_143627.thumb.jpg.c758e96689f1973b68fd27fe034c1976.jpg

..and done, very easy on this car.

20230708_105720.thumb.jpg.d0dfaa175db7d454bb00882594b3cafe.jpg

I've been enjoying using it for a bit since I came back from holiday.

The Saab will be for sale once I find a suitable replacement.