Do you have any motoring superstitions or OCD traits?

warren t claim

I suppose that as the OP I should start with mine.

The radio. Or more to the point, the presets. For the last 25 years I've had to have the usual six presets set to the following.

1. Radio 2.

2. Radio 4.

3. Local BBC station.

4. Smooth FM.

5. Classic FM.

6. Greatest Hits, although before that it was the now defunct Century/Real Radio.

When I was an agency wagon driver I'd select the FM2 presets to the above so in the future I could tell if I'd driven this truck before.

Here are another few of mine that are taxi related.

I have to start my shift with the rear armrest pulled down.

If the meter stops on £13 I'll charge the punter £12.90.

On the last Friday before Xmas just before 7pm I'll check my tyre pressures at this petrol station.

xmastyres1.png.a214ee0c1dc5ffd973162abc9ee9ab51.png

Every time I get a new cab the first punter gets a free ride.

At the end of every shift I tap the steering wheel and thank the car for its day.

7 hours ago, warren t claim said:

At the end of every shift I tap the steering wheel and thank the car for its day.

At the end of a long, difficult or important drive I always have to give the car a pat on top of the dashboard, say thankyou and tell her she's done a good job.

I never turn left.

Left = sinestre = sinister = widdershins = the work of the Devil.

Seriously though there is an album I like (David Devant and his Spirit Wife: "Work, Lovelife, Miscellaneous") which has caused multiple FTPs or faults when I've listened to it on the road, so now I don't allow myself to listen to it while driving.

(It's a great album - have a listen - but not while driving)

R-1820483-1595785453-9308.jpg

I don't drive with the rear seat folded down if there's nothing in there that needs it to be folded.

Only time I've ever had a massive car accident, that was the case.  Never done it since.

I Never bought a car with “RTA” in the plate- with the old reg system *TA was a west county reg so from memory 2 local cars I was put off buying simply because of that combination of letters. 

6 hours ago, grogee said:

I never turn left.

You jest, but I once worked with a lady of a certain age who used to religiously plan her routes to avoid right turns.

Because we don't have off road parking I have certain requirements in my head about the maximum amount of space I can leave between the car and the kerb - in my defence partly because the road is narrow for any larger vehicle. If a wheel is touching the kerb in any way however, I'll have to hop back in and adjust. I also prefer the steering wheel to be straight ahead when parked.

Never buy a Peugeot. Due to a 309 that I crashed twice - the second time wrote it off,  weeks after I'd spent £300 on a new Weber carb only to find the ungrateful bastard still didn't run properly.

Green cars. 

I have avoided them since before I could drive. My parents superstition was green cars are unlucky. They had a few green cars in the late 70s early 80s that confirmed it for them. 

I punted on a green v70 T5 once, i found out that the owner sold it because he was told to get rid as it was using oil. Lots of it. Which he didn’t bother telling me. So he had that back. Later I bought a series 3 Landrover ambulance that was green and sand. It spent more time off the road than on it. I purposely steer clear of green cars, I’ll never buy another. Missed some cracking deals in the past because of it! 

Unlikely to be an issue nowadays since it's been 23 years since you could get three numbers in a row on a reg plate but I'd be reluctant to buy another car with a 666 plate on it given that was (so far, touch wood) the only car I've ever had a serious smash in, completely demolishing two Ford Sierras in the process.

Salvaged this from the wreckage when I went to get my stuff out it a few days later.

sierra plate.jpg

Front seats and headrests must be exactly the same position and angle. After years of CX ownership I also say thank you when the car starts- same when the merc butler hands you the seatbelt. Oh and all dash vents should be level and not askew. I’ve not got ocd honest.