The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:

My second Rexton and the third car I've bought from @Jim Bell, confirmed GOOD.

Attempts have been made with @juular to make it less slow with a manual boost controller, it is a bit more responsive now but still needs more boost and fuel. 

PXL_20230830_141506217.jpg

PXL_20230830_141617470.jpg

PXL_20230830_143619362.jpg

I think that's the furthest it's ever been off road. Looks well in it's element in the Highlands man. 

3 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Hang on, he sold it?!

Yup. No regerts thus far. Loved it but enjoying the change of pace of punchy pez at the moment. I know @Lacquer Peel will show it more of the world and make it go faster on a regular if not constant basis, than I ever would have. 

13 minutes ago, Jim Bell said:

Yup. No regerts thus far. Loved it but enjoying the change of pace of punchy pez at the moment. I know @Lacquer Peel will show it more of the world and make it go faster on a regular if not constant basis, than I ever would have. 

Fair do. Good to see it remain within the fold regardless. You do realise you've missed the opportunity to get AnnoyingPentium's sticker dealer to make up the ultimate window sticker for it though - 'I love my Rexton'. Maybe SplitPin could pick up the reins...

Made the mistake of sitting down and trying to tot up my various automotive expenditures - servicing, MOT dates, insurance renewals, taxation, storage, upcoming parts costs, jobs to do etc. Actually trying to do it properly, with a spreadsheet and everything. Feeling a bit overwhelmed with it all, and thinking I might need to thin the herd a bit.

Not sure how you serial collectors do it, I'm only on 5 and things feel like they're spiralling! :D

9 hours ago, Soundwave said:

Not sure how you serial collectors do it, I'm only on 5 and things feel like they're spiralling! :D

It is really easy. Whenever you get the urge to sit down and add it all up, go on to AS/Ebay/Marketplace etc instead and buy another one. Once purchased, the urge to add up will pale into insignificance.  After a while, the urge to add up may return, when you repeat the cycle. Eventually, there will be just too many things to add up and the urge will not return.

Problem solved. 

More advice available on request.

You just need to push through and get to a number of cars where you start to forget some of them and find it difficult to list them all off the top of your head. Spreading them over at least a couple of different sites will help with this.

1 hour ago, Rust Collector said:

You just need to push through and get to a number of cars where you start to forget some of them and find it difficult to list them all off the top of your head. Spreading them over at least a couple of different sites will help with this.

I got to 16 cars plus 'some' motorcycles at one point. It feels so much better to be back down to the manageable and known number of 6 cars and 4 bikes - That's what i keep telling myself anyway

12 hours ago, Soundwave said:

I'm only on 5 and things feel like they're spiralling! :D

I'm on 7 and occasionally add it all up. Definitely don't do that if you want to keep them all. MOT/Tax exemption does make owning multiple cars less painful.

My intention is to sell at least two and get back down to five. Ideally lower. That was after I realised that insurance+tax+storage costs are £300pcm. Then maintenance/fuel on top. Probably nearer £500pcm all said and done. It does helps on costs that not all are on the road and in storage too. 😅

But then I'll buy something else to clutter back up again. 

My thought was that I could sell most and get back down to 3 or 4 cars (two dailies for wife+me, one project toy and one working toy) - £300 pcm could go toward a loan on something a bit more special as a toy. 

I’m at 8 (9 if you count the BiLs Kangoo which has been abandoned here), 3 of which are projects… albeit ones which are making snail pace progress. I said to myself that if I hd made no progress on the Nova by the end of the summer holidays it would go, it’s currently the final day of the summer holidays and I’ve done nothing to it. I also promised myself no more projects until I’d completed one. 

So I have two more cars arriving on Saturday which have been off the road a long long time, but which I couldn’t bear to see the owner scrap which seemed to be becoming a real possibility… 

Which is my way of saying, don’t try and make it make sense. It doesn’t 😂

23 minutes ago, Ohdearme said:

Bollocks.

Sat in Beamish Car Park with a metal shard pissing air out of tyre.

Spare not coming out of underside.

Anyone got a 5 stud renner wheel with a 225 55 R17 spare?

or know a decent mobile fitter?

Solved by a very helpful ring around of Indy tyre men of the north.

shout out to the ones that didn’t help but passed me on and now one is coming!

We R Tyres - Sunderland on the way,

Tyres2u NE dipton couldnt do it but told me to ring We R tyres. 

and https://www.leadgatetyrecentre.co.uk couldn’t help but told me to ring dipton.

I love small businesses, no charging for nitrogen in my tyres, just three blokes helping out a punter with a knackered tyre.

I had some minor work done to the Scirocco last week, new engine & gearbox mountings, new alternator belt, brakes re-built, Oh, and a brand new hard to get fuel tank and filler neck. This obviously requires the back axle to be removed, so I also had new axle mounts and all new rubbery bits. Yesterday the ungrateful bastard broke down. I was quite grumpy, but the problem was quickly resolved by adding a can of petrol. Odd because the gauge still indicated a quarter of a tank. I drove it to the garage where I managed to squeeze in another 34.87 litres. It appears I'm probably the only bloke in the world who owns a late model Scirocco with a fuel tank from a much earlier one. 40 litres with a full size spare Vs 55 litres with a spacesaver - fuck sticks.

1 hour ago, Ohdearme said:

Bollocks.

sounds like you’re sorted but shout if you need anything - i’m about 15 mins away 

4 hours ago, Ohdearme said:

Bollocks.

Myself and @gm are only along the road about 3 miles away