collection mission to SPAIN!!!! COMPLETED IT M8

Mr_Bo11ox

• Colin, a mate of mine wondered why Spanish border guards always sniggered at his paperwork. Then he realised it had his initials and surname CA Jones on it.
  • Anyway, back to the plot, I was going to suggest that Zaragoza Bordeaux might be a better route before reading you had to pick up the doors.
  • Bon Voyage

This is bravery of epic proportions! Well done that man. I will follow this with baited breath. I mean, the excitement. Will it make it? Will it pass its MoT? Will European breakdown cover it? Seriously, best of luck with this. 

3 hours ago, Turbowomble said:

I assume sir has seen this randy-looking specimen on C&C? It’s a stone’s throw from St. Tropez too, so you could make a millionaire’s holiday of it too.

Wait, why am I telling you this? This is my idea, hands off!

Mais c'est essence ? Je préfère gazole s'il vous plaît 

I love a good collection fred and flying to pick up a shonky Simca to drive back from one country through another before getting onto home turf will be an epic one. Who's going to run a book on the number of FTP's on the way?

It's funny how a mention of a car can conjure up memories from decades ago.

In around 1980 my best mates dad bought a strange rattlely engined small white estate car to replace his tired Herald 13/60 estate. Being a part time builder he always had estate cars, I guess he was a shitter as he seemed to only buy cheap cars and swiftly move them on when they had a big FTP or mot failure. 

The strange car was PHU100F a Simca 1100 (my memory says it was a 3 door but may have been a 5) and compared to the Triumph of the same age it was totally brilliant and performed far better than its noisy little 1118cc engine had any right to.

It got used for everything and never looked overloaded although it often was. It was like a little yappy dog that just wanted to please its master and off road or in snow it seemed unstoppable.

Alas one day walking home from school the little Simca was sat on my mates driveway with it's o/s front corner badly smashed and the wheel pushed back against the A post. It had had a coming together at speed with a tipper truck and came off second best although my mates parents got away with just cuts and bruises and wore neck collars for a week or two so it was a tough car too.

I think a little Simca today would be joy to use as a local daily runabout and have no problem excitedly scampering around making folks stop and turn and think jeez that sounds rough.

4 hours ago, sdkrc said:

Top tip: Offset the cost of collection by bringing back shitloads of drugs 

hes gonna be taking those to numb the noise and the botty ache

R good luck - in a normal car fine in a french shopping trolley of that age bon chance!

THIS IS THE HERO WE NEED! 

Back when I used to drive my X1/9 from Scotland to Italy, I found that earplugs really reduced fatigue. I had some really nice custom fitted ones that attenuated but still had a flat frequency response (so you could still appreciate the nuances of that legendary rattle). In the absence of those, some basic foam ones would be in my packing list. 

Good luck 🤞 

3 hours ago, tooSavvy said:

The man with the *largest fleet of working/semi/modded/reconstructed Simca tin will deffo be up for this 👍

Bon Chance

🚙💨

IMG_20240427_114042.jpg

I'll have to take care round this guy as many years ago I seriously dragged his welding efforts over on the blue forum  (they were abysmal mind you)

I joined this forum because of your epic and very readable K series head gasket replacements, welding marathons and a 'never give up' approach. Great to see you back on here.

In the 1980s a  colleague had a Simca 1100 which, because the works vehicles were not available, was used to take 3 of us plus himself and a hefty toolkit from Aylesbury to Salisbury to carry out tests at another establishment.  Sure, it was a rattly old thing and its dull red paintwork made it look a decade older than it was.  However, it was comfortable and did the trip at reasonable speed despite our misgivings.  I've also hired an estate version for a UK holiday back in the day when our family car could not be relied upon.  It turned out to be a surprisingly nippy and likeable car.  

Doing a much longer journey in one some 40+ years later takes courage.  Good luck!   

This is the third time I've looked at this thread and since no-one else seems to have done it yet, I'd like to ask for first dibs when you decide to move it on. I also have been looking at SIMCAs and although ideally I'd like an automatic estate I'm willing to make an exception for a brown one.