collection mission to SPAIN!!!! COMPLETED IT M8

Mr_Bo11ox

I've just done a similar drive (Essex to Barcelona and back) but in a modern van with cruise, air con etc that will happily sit at 70-80 MPH, and two drivers.

The roads are amazingly smooth and easy to navigate if you're happy to pay the tolls, but I would say trying to do all of it in a few days is going to be hard.

We did four hours North on the first night, stayed at a B&B and did a big push the next day, arriving at Calais in the evening - then you have to wait for a ferry etc. if I were you I'd plan on four days to allow a slower pace, pick up your doors, do the MoT etc

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Oi_Oi_Savaloy said:

Hats off to you - what a wonderful thing to do and something, I think, we all secretly aspire to (but perhaps not for a simca...........I'm sure others would love to do the trip but for their own choice of shite......as it were!) :)

Precisely!

1970s Opel Commodore or Diplomat maybe?

• Like 2

Will be following this expedition closely as I have a bit of an interest in Simca.  They were very successful as an independent company and they did some innovative designs, so they must have had some good engineers.   The 1100 was well liked and they built loads of them.  A bit like a BMC 1100, but more practical with a hatchback and decent ground clearance, and the running gear carried on into the Horizon/Alpine range so there can't be much wrong with it.

France is a big country and people drive long distances so their cars are built with that in mind.  There is every chance that this car will just take the journey in its stride.  I'd watch the cooling system though if it's just been pottering around locally, and don't push it too hard.  As said, take a few days over it.

The more I think about this the more I love it (the journey and the car - although I can't help feel a little bit apprehensive for the coming return journey - will 1,300cc be enough, will cope, will it actually just make it without a fanfare and we'll all go 'what was all the potential fuss about!').  Fantastic.

On 27/04/2024 at 15:22, Joey spud said:

Yeah but it was spectacularly bad yet no one else on Retro Rides had the balls to say anything.

Your ride, your way 😂

• Haha 2

I’d be tempted to get the ferry back although less interesting you skip France and the CT issues and roll into the U.K. where nobody will look at you because it’s not going to flag ANPR.

But where is the fun in that.

Gzongenflatch

• Like 3

More importantly, though, best of luck Mr Bolz in what is a mission I would love to complete, but for lack of money, time and courage. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Oi_Oi_Savaloy said:

will 1,300cc be enough,

I once drove from London to Barcelona with two mates in an overloaded Fiat 850T van with a persistent misfire.  It took a while.  1300cc should be plenty.

This is going to be good!  Already one of the most liked posts in AS history and you haven't even left yet...

Bo11ox and Simcas takes me back to about 2007 when you brought along a spare Solara torsion bar to see if it'd fit my 1300 van when you were picking up that slightly* rusty Sigma estate.  I should have done more with that van really but the council said it had to go.  I'd love a hatch one day but probably not enough to go to Valencia for one.  I have a copy (courtesy of @Spottedlaurel) of the March 1975 What Car? where they did a Simca 1100 v Renault 6 road test, the Simca won that one and I'd be curious to see how they compare 50 years later.

29 minutes ago, sporty-shite said:

Your ride, your way 😂

That all got a bit silly on RR though - there was a lad who completely removed the springs from his Corsa and was driving it around on just the bump stops, but nobody was allowed to say what a twat he was being even though he was literally a public menace.

Of all the things seventies french I reckon a Simca with its tough iron block and ally head c/w simple push rod valve activation has to be the preferred method of propolsion.

A silted up wet linered Renault engine is bound to poo itself within 30 mins of hitting an fast A road..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wuvvum said:

That all got a bit silly on RR though - there was a lad who completely removed the springs from his Corsa and was driving it around on just the bump stops, but nobody was allowed to say what a twat he was being even though he was literally a public menace.

Ah the vagaries of yoot'

4 hours ago, bangernomics said:

I’d be tempted to get the ferry back although less interesting you skip France and the CT issues and roll into the U.K. where nobody will look at you because it’s not going to flag ANPR.

But where is the fun in that.

You could always get the ferry to Ibiza for a few days, make a proper holiday out of it.

7lp3.gif

I might just book a few days off work to follow this thread 😅
All the best Mr B, always enjoy reading your adventures, welding skillz and collections.

P.s:
Still makes me laugh, that you swapped me a bag rammed full of Haribo and Lucozade, for a reliant engine 

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

You could always get the ferry to Ibiza for a few days, make a proper holiday out of it.

7lp3.gif

What, not Malaga?

You have my admiration. Especially when I recently saw something nice for sale but decided Aberdeen was too far.

I remember the noise from the valve gear on those engines. At least we will have an idea when you are at the French coast - the migrants landing on the English coast will be wearing ear plugs.

3 minutes ago, UltraWomble said:

What happened to the Horsebollox?

Don't ask!!! It's still sat outside my friggin kitchen window 

5 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I got flamed for daring to express concerns about a car that had been given  CAMBER YO by using slotted bar to extend suspension components.

I don't think I've posted since... 

• Like 3

Gaffertape the frilly bottom of the door to avoid it being an issue at the Control Technique test.

The car is on French black plates meaning it has been correctly classed as a 'voiture de collection' - this should get you a slightly more lenient CT test.

If you have time I'd get the seller to change the oil if it's not recent given the length of the trip. And check the tyres - it's a lot of driving.

Looks like you are coming most of the way through France on the payage - the tolls have got very pricey make sure you have enough on your card.

Bon voyage.