The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Yep please keep playing, I fancy fitting one to preheat and de-ice the van from the comfort of the house or to run the heater without the engine on a lunch break.

Whatever you can find out would be handy.

They are great things. When I still used the ShitLander daily I got a cheap fob and receiver kit from Maplins and wired it up to start the Webasto and turn on the cabin fan heater, allowing me to heat the cabin up in the morning while buttering my toast in the kitchen.

Yep please keep playing, I fancy fitting one to preheat and de-ice the van from the comfort of the house or to run the heater without the engine on a lunch break.

Whatever you can find out would be handy.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Engine-Block-Heater-240-Volt-Preheater-ATO-ONE-Auxiliary-Coolant-Water-Heater/350999337022?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Well the merc got its clean mot ( and a service) today. 4,700 trouble free miles since last years.

I dropped it off and got the train into Waterloo for a meeting, I’d only got as far as Clapham junction before I had a call from the garage expressing concern at the state of the rusty rear suspension subframe. He’s wire brushed and shutzed it all though and no comment from the Mot.

Lee did show me the large pile of rust dust he’d generated though! At least two dust pans worth.

Aye, as far as I can gather, after 3 failed ignitions it locks out. This happened a couple of times when it was working in the Freelander and it could be reset by removing its fuse for a minute and refitting. No joy now though. Thats an interesting page though, I might make up a diagnostic loom and try the software.

Tried that too, but got fed up. The Vito's also got an Eberspacher D2 Airtronic which works very well, so don't really need the Hydronic, but just annoys me it's there and doesn't work. Keep meaning to get a pipe to join up the water pipes on the van so I can take it right out and fiddle with it on the bench all hooked up.

I had a scan through old threads on classic insurance earlier, and saw ALF892 recommend Barry Grainger car insurance.  30 minutes on the phone (and a forensic examination including the broker on Google street view to see that I really DO have a garage) and it's sorted for £86 for the year.  That's 3k miles (in reality I did half of that last year) with £100 excess and agreed value.

They were £50 cheaper than Peter Best, but it was quite a slow process.  However they did check my name and address for claims and showed 'no claims' in the history - proving that windscreens don't always show up.

I need to send them 6 colour photos, my driving licence details and we're sorted.

10/10 would recommend.

I guess they do all those checks to reduce the risk as much as possible. Then, as long as the details don't change, continue to offer price beating cover that others can't match? So keeping business and not needing to do checks again.

I ordered a load of Waxoyl from Amazon the other day (last week actually) which was supposed to have been delivered by yesterday. I queried it with the supplier and after getting tracling details, it was delivered and signed for last Friday, not signed for by me though...

So, e-mails have been sent and replied to today between myself and supplier, all very amicable and efficient so no great problem but I was cursing Hermes for nickin it. The stupid fat cow upstairs (who I am always nice to - two faced? Me?) has just brought the parcel round. Opened obviously and rummaged through but as of no worth to anyone but an idiot with a desire to keep rust at bay, she has decided that I can have it instead of her keeping it.

grovelling and apologetic e-mail sent to supplier :( 

Careful you don't slip getting out of the bath

Yes, re-reading the above is kinkier than I meant.

The emblem is in the oil, I am drinking the cotes du Rhône, not in the bath.

My mechanic lee did have a go at removing the old mascot base last night when I was in the workshop but thinks the bonnet catch needs to be moved as there’s a plate hiding the base. I told him to leave it as I didn’t want it to take another hour. Something to look forward to!

Now fitted without much drama and with a head torch.

Possibly the best £33 I've ever spent and definitely the best brake pipe flaring tool I've ever used. Perfect flares on a steel pipes still attached to the car and with limited access. An absolute life saver. Repairs to the CRV are progressing well. Next step is to make 4 repair lines and connect up the rear brake proportional valve. Not much space where it all has to live but still more fun than having to replace the complete lines as some of them are hidden behind the steering rack!

post-5762-0-81503900-1515620231_thumb.jpg