What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

8 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Every restaurant I’ve ever been in , in any Country, has given tap water for free.

In Germany they look at you like you just shat on the floor if you ask for it and then grudgingly bring a thimble.  (Based on my limited experience in Hamburg recently).

9 minutes ago, willswitchengage said:

Top Gear will not return for 'foreseeable future' - BBC News

Top Gear really needs to die, it has had an incredibly sad end since the big three left imho. Cue lots of argumentative responses!

Do they still write for TG magazine though? I always thought that was a brilliant publication but haven't bought it for ages.

I really don't like Jeremy Clarkson. He's a smart man, if you've ever watched him on a show like QI he's clearly intelligent, which makes some of the shite he spouts that much worse. He must know what he's saying and the potential effects of it, and yet is willing to still spout it. It really grates on me. I feel like he should do better.

That said, I remember Top Gear before he took the reins and it was SO DRY. I used to watch it with my dad when I was a child and even he found it boring sometimes. Whatever you think of Clarkson he played an absolute blinder when they came up with the new format. It made cars, and car culture, more accessible to a much wider range of people, it was actually entertaining. He and his team deserve every bit of credit for what they did. It says a lot that so many of the team quit when he went. Obviously Hammond and May did, but also crew, producers, directors, editors etc. all went with him. Even the guy he punched in the face went with them I think.

The problem they were always going to face was what happens after Clarkson. The entire format of the show was centered around him and his persona, when he retired/left it was always going to struggle. They shouldn't have tried to continue the show without making major changes to it. What those changes would be I don't know. They couldn't go back to the way it was before, it just wouldn't work with the new audience.

2 hours ago, willswitchengage said:

Top Gear will not return for 'foreseeable future' - BBC News

Top Gear really needs to die, it has had an incredibly sad end since the big three left imho. Cue lots of argumentative responses!

Do they still write for TG magazine though? I always thought that was a brilliant publication but haven't bought it for ages.

Harris is great. Problem is Joe Public are thick as fuck, and someone describing how a car feels and handles would be of no interest. Hence the need for the other two imbeciles.

Random fact, Harris sliding a GT86 around Wales made me buy one.

On 20/11/2023 at 14:38, Slappy said:

Caught up with the latest episode of Jonny Smith's Late Brake Show, which features Radio 1 Breakfast host Greg James who has been a hero of mine for a very long time, mostly because he comes across as properly down to earth; and it continued here too. Greg recently picked up an E34 M5, which they tootle about with for the episode, but it seems he's also an 80s/90s Renault fan boy and if anyone has a B reg Nissan Sunny that they want to offload it might be worth a slide into his DMs... Overall a very calming and enjoyable 40 minutes of content.

Yes, he seemed very normal. Wanted a car he worshiped as a child and eventually bought it. Likes Renault and safranes, 25 etc. Not weird at all!