The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

A very productive day today.  Pat spent it repairing the sinking drive as best he could with the materials to hand, had a bit of a sand spill incident which took a while to clean up but hey, the slabs are properly sanded in now.  Lanchester offered up all four doors, boot lid, and fuel tank.  Had to take the impact driver I didn't know we had to some of the fixings and one fought even that and had to be drilled out.

MVI_2828_Moment.thumb.jpg.8c980912e9bd8d4bd025b74e2a9c35a7.jpg

MVI_2828_Moment2.thumb.jpg.4c10e5f9a697ec23577b19aaf9b0075a.jpg

Removing the glass will help teach us how the seals are replaced for when we do ours.  Really not looking forward to removing the mechanical bits off the chassis, I've a horrible feeling it's going to need a lot of angle grinder attention given how crusty some of the threads, nuts, and bolts are, especially at the front where it looks like it's spent a few years up to the steering box in mud.

Good to see the famous Great Yarmouth Vitesse is still hanging in there… 😳

I’m not sure how - the last MOT was quite damning, so arguing roadworthiness might be difficult as I’m 100% certain it’s not moved since I last saw it back in 2018!

CD453F92-9D55-4C42-95A7-A93EB55F18EF.jpeg

FC838409-92D6-47D0-BFCF-4B33DE24554C.jpeg

Incredibly its been a year since daughter number 2's first car was put back on the road after a two year hibernation. You may remember it thanked me for waking it from its slumber by pissing oil all over the drive.

1663049825_20220417_154112(1).thumb.jpg.b3e43aa815cc402e1003e03de87f8b96.jpg

Thankfully it was just a rusted through oil filter so a nice easy fix - it passed its MOT a few days later with advisories for drop links and front pads wearing thin. Daughter number 2 passed her test in September and has been razzing around and traveling to Nottingham Uni four days a week, happy as a pig in muck.

As its MOT is due again I thought I'd check it over and give it a service, I'd completely forgotten about the advisory for front pads until the daughter said last night 'dad the cars making a funny noise when I press the brake pedal'. When asked how long this has been happening for she replied 'oh about a month'!

Luckily GSF had the droplinks, pads and discs in stock, so managed to pick them up this morning.

20230407_140042.thumb.jpg.8637cdc861e5b35fa9e0030b36ee0ce1.jpg

Ok bit of a lip but not too bad.

20230407_194835.thumb.jpg.3e60af601f27b7cd9056e6af8f450eb0.jpg

Oh bugger she's had her monies worth out of the inner pads!

20230407_172624.thumb.jpg.c71aa0d99f76d3ac8e4d25f03b7d2d87.jpg

Other than the droplinks putting up a fight and me just giving up and getting the angle grinder out, it all went together pretty well. I even managed to service it as well. In for its test on Tuesday and other than a side light bulb thats out it all seems ok to my untrained eye.

I've spoke with daughter number 2 about letting me know in future if the car starts making strange noises, I really don't like the thought of her driving around with brakes in that state, I do take the blame for it, I completely forgot about it. While speaking to her about it daughter number 1 informs me her Beetle is making a funny noise! Went for a blast in it earlier and sounds like a front bearings out to me, oh joy something else to do.

On 4/1/2023 at 8:02 PM, wuvvum said:

That Ital estate looked a decent buy for 1500 quid.  I was tempted but I consider the £500 deposit to get a bidder number to be a pisstake, given that it used to be a fiver, so I didn't get one.

That Ital should have gone to @triggerreally.. (& that visually challenged Herald based kit car that went through first & sold for £1600 or so, is already on ebay at 5 large)

Had to go to the tip due to SWMBO having an incident with the microwave door and a jar of peanut butter (sigh) so on the way back i decided to investigate a "Green Lane" I found via that Google.

It was gated and locked unfortunately, but the roads round it gave me the opportunity to channel my inner Colin McRae.

Some cars, just look better dirty.

WP_20230408_16_38_26_Pro.jpg

WP_20230408_16_38_41_Pro.jpg

Sold my Cav this morning to @JMotor, then spent the rest of this afternoon swapping all the bits from the passenger door of the blue mx-5 into another one of the same colour that I picked up on f/b marketplace for £40 quid. 

The existing one had a wavy crease in it, and was the worst bit on an otherwise extremely tidy car.

Quite an enjoyable job, except for getting a huge glob of the gunk used to seal the waterproof membrane stuck in my beard. Brake cleaner to the rescue again 🤣

Superleggera:

PXL_20230409_132149336.thumb.jpg.173155f7ab1e10e662bbd53c6214832c.jpg

PXL_20230409_132139034.thumb.jpg.e6df7da2fc5ef7b3d8237834a47e8e07.jpg

Damage:

PXL_20230409_211359246.thumb.jpg.7126f9866274a385e56d5c24cbfa04c0.jpg

4 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

20230410_093735.jpg

I'm squinting at the picture (not reading your sig) trying to work out if its an X 1/9 or a wee scimitar baby thingy when my wife walks in, glances at the screen and says "Oooh, an X 1/9, I always wanted one of those. Much better than that barge you just bought."
She's a good cook if you want her ...

28 minutes ago, HMC said:

“Gran finale”? there was one on my paper round c.1990

Almost. An SE ( special edition) being an F reg. they are basically the GF but without the plastic badges. Sales receipt below ( my godparents would have been a near neighbour to Ryan Reynolds’ new house too had they been alive now).

image.jpg

While I’m here, so to speak. I have a new pair of door strap hinges to fit as the old ones have both snapped an arm. I need a tool to compress the prongs together in order to fit into the clips on the door. Any ideas? Is there any sort of rubber pronged locking pliers about?

4354742A-D37E-4E76-BB1A-AD113A047106.jpeg

Just been to look at a van with my mate - he wants a camper and I can't let him buy owt without having a look over it first.

we went to look at a 145k mile, 2011 VW T5. 

image.thumb.png.2926d7c7f7e5da0b593e4f44f0a148fa.png

Lotsamoney for an old van, but it looked OK in pictures.

In person it was the most filthy disgusting thing, it absolutely hummed of dogs, covered with dog hair. The bed in the back had dog grime ground into them, the bloke had a saucepan of soapy water and an old sock and was scrubbing the floor when we got there, but the van was parked on a slope and all the water was just running into the cupboards. WTF?

There were knobs missing, cupboard doors hanging off, all 4 wheels were kerbed to absolute fuck, there was rust all over it,  a scrape all down the passenger side and the roof canvas was mouldy and torn. 11 days MOT!

Filthy outside as well, moss all over the roof. just fucking minging. He'd got it parked on his drive which absolutely stank of dog piss as well.

TWENTY GRAND!!!! AND THERE WAS A HUMAN PUBE IN THE FUCKING FRIDGE

I'm no prude, but this thing was just fucking disgusting, genuinely seemed like he had been using it as a dog kennel. Surely for 20 grand you'd spend £45 and send it through the polish car wash first? We only drove an hour to see it, but it was an afternoon wasted.  I just can't fathom how anyone would think that was an acceptable way to market something like this.

I've told him to just buy a panel van and I'll help him convert it.

2 hours ago, cobblers said:

Just been to look at a van with my mate - he wants a camper and I can't let him buy owt without having a look over it first.

we went to look at a 145k mile, 2011 VW T5. 

image.thumb.png.2926d7c7f7e5da0b593e4f44f0a148fa.png

Lotsamoney for an old van, but it looked OK in pictures.

In person it was the most filthy disgusting thing, it absolutely hummed of dogs, covered with dog hair. The bed in the back had dog grime ground into them, the bloke had a saucepan of soapy water and an old sock and was scrubbing the floor when we got there, but the van was parked on a slope and all the water was just running into the cupboards. WTF?

There were knobs missing, cupboard doors hanging off, all 4 wheels were kerbed to absolute fuck, there was rust all over it,  a scrape all down the passenger side and the roof canvas was mouldy and torn. 11 days MOT!

Filthy outside as well, moss all over the roof. just fucking minging. He'd got it parked on his drive which absolutely stank of dog piss as well.

TWENTY GRAND!!!! AND THERE WAS A HUMAN PUBE IN THE FUCKING FRIDGE

I'm no prude, but this thing was just fucking disgusting, genuinely seemed like he had been using it as a dog kennel. Surely for 20 grand you'd spend £45 and send it through the polish car wash first? We only drove an hour to see it, but it was an afternoon wasted.  I just can't fathom how anyone would think that was an acceptable way to market something like this.

I've told him to just buy a panel van and I'll help him convert it.

It's beyond words the level of disdain I have for people who can't even be bothered to clean or even clear the crap out of a vehicle prior to sale. The VW Camper above is absolute epitome of someone expecting a return for zero effort and it literally says everything about that person.

I hope you shook your head as you walked away.

5 hours ago, richardmorris said:

While I’m here, so to speak. I have a new pair of door strap hinges to fit as the old ones have both snapped an arm. I need a tool to compress the prongs together in order to fit into the clips on the door. Any ideas? Is there any sort of rubber pronged locking pliers about?

4354742A-D37E-4E76-BB1A-AD113A047106.jpeg

Some fat cable ties to hold them together then cut them when in position?