The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Went to see the Volvo for the first time since the day after the crash in October, it's been at a mate's yard since the police released it.

20230310_130416.thumb.jpg.a2a3e6d324a6d35a504b81054dda2a2b.jpg

It took it well, and I think I was probably going slower at the point of impact with the wall than I'd remembered. I was not in a good way mentally that day and there's lots of gaps in my memory.

Should be allowed to drive again quite soon after being released from hospital nearly 3 months ago. We're taking it up to my house this afternoon, I'll be able to potter away doing bits and pieces over the next few weeks.

20230310_140801.thumb.jpg.85cfb36f8eaf117b6b577feba84f3c89.jpg

Investigating the rover's cold start issues. The coolant temp sensor is not the original - the part where the socket/spanner fits is not brass - it's plastic. Removal is fraught with risk. I checked the resistance bearing in mind it is warmer today than yesterday - it was what I expected.

I cleaned the terminals on the coil, amplifier on the dizzy, coolant temp sensor, thermotime switch, air flow meter, power resistor, battery connections and earths.

I moved the flap on the air flow meter - I could hear the pump energise.

First turn of the key and the engine burst into life. I detected a slight miss so I need to check I have fitted the plug leads correctly.

Sadly my attempt at bleeding the brakes was toss - still spongy as a spongy thing.

48 minutes ago, J W Pepper said:

That must have been "interesting" to drive.

You could say that, but being lowered it drives shit anyway 😂 they were shit quality lowering springs and the only one that was intact was completely rotten as the remnants of the powder coating completely fell off when I dropped it onto the floor!

I'd say it was just loud and rattly more than anything. Amazingly, the shocks were ok despite two of the springs being broken up and doing nothing at all so all the force was being taken by the shock

Worth adding that this car had 3x broken springs! The one above, one that was broken in two places into 3 pieces and one that had just snapped the end off.

All happened since last year, 4k miles ago!

8 hours ago, reb said:

Went to see the Volvo for the first time since the day after the crash in October, it's been at a mate's yard since the police released it.

20230310_130416.thumb.jpg.a2a3e6d324a6d35a504b81054dda2a2b.jpg

It took it well, and I think I was probably going slower at the point of impact with the wall than I'd remembered. I was not in a good way mentally that day and there's lots of gaps in my memory.

Should be allowed to drive again quite soon after being released from hospital nearly 3 months ago. We're taking it up to my house this afternoon, I'll be able to potter away doing bits and pieces over the next few weeks.

I didn't know you had pranged the Volvo reb, how did it happen and more importantly was everyone OK?

2 hours ago, dome said:

Had a brain fart and bought a set of campervan ramps so I could do oil changes and the like on the fleet.

I've got an old set of steel ramps but nothing I own fits on them. I also have a set of ramp extenders but they're fucking shite. These seem like a good buy👌

IMG_20230311_095530.jpg

Where did you get those?

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

Where did you get those?

Facebook marketplace.

These are the same kind, they seem to be the tallest ones available.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165976119463?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=QxLHoD0FSOe&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=YzsLDtWLQsO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

42236313-9E8F-4081-B4C5-0F79AABC23A9.jpeg

Its a pass!

Another year on the highways for the 9000 secured.

Tester goes to test headlights

Me: “The headlights are a bit shit” 

Tester tests headlight image

Tester: “Yeah, they are really quite shit” 

Decided they are just within tolerance… so better add a new set of headlights to the shopping list! 

Bar the headlights (which I knew about) absolutely no issues at all. Which I’m very pleased about!