The grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

Yeah the neighbours here are great so can’t fault them for telling me, I just could’ve done without another thing to fix 😅

It looks like I should be able to re-use some or all of the tiles. There’s also someone locally giving a load of them away free and they appear to match my roof so I should be sorted for some already weathered replacements.

God knows what made the hole though.

Can I suggest whilst you are up the ladder you also take the opportunity to clean the plants growing in the gutter.

56 minutes ago, hairnet said:

@beko1987 nicking lead/cake/batons/guttering

Not me guv, I've been playing with 1000 domino's pizza locations the last few days, not left the house! 

I could show you how it makes a 1 mile buffer around each store, does a total paf count on the covered area, compares that against the full postal sector paf count and does a penetrstion comparison and spits out a nice little excel and pdf map of each location. 1000 times! Quite pleased with it but I need to go get some food now, no time for nicking lead. 

The sales person is gonna shit themselves, it's not even the full store list I'm just messing around waiting for data

46 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

Can I suggest whilst you are up the ladder you also take the opportunity to clean the plants growing in the gutter.

Already done, wouldn’t leave that whilst I was up there.

+10 points to @Mally, the battens are rotten. I’ve shored it up to keep the worst of the rain out and will have to phone for a responsible adult next. Happy days.

18 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

+10 points to @Mally, the battens are rotten. I’ve shored it up to keep the worst of the rain out and will have to phone for a responsible adult next. Happy days.

I've got a Bungalow, same tiles as you.  Had a slight leak, felt was split in the loft.

Cost me 6K for a new roof. 

1 hour ago, Rust Collector said:

Let me know when you find a responsible adult please, I need one to pick somebody up from hospital next week, can't find one anywhere.....

28 minutes ago, hairnet said:

IMG_20240323_163403578_HDR.jpg.213691011c05beee291ccb858b08ff37.jpg

Yesterday

IMG_20240324_093846104_HDR.jpg.c7c1711209134f7e5cb89542aa3bf7f2.jpgtoday

Ffs

On Friday , I could have posted similar pics  but labelled 9 am , 10 am , 11 am and 9.15am , 10.15 , 11.15.

Several times it was pouring with rain and bright sun at the same time.

On 22/03/2024 at 19:04, Mally said:

I've got a Bungalow, same tiles as you.  Had a slight leak, felt was split in the loft.

Cost me 6K for a new roof. 

6k isn't bad.

The parents just got quoted 8k for some pointing, some flashing and two dormer window surrounds on their farmhouse.

The person quoting got told to sling their hook.

Our mondeo has adaptive xenons. The n/s bulb that illuminates when you turn has gone.

Can I get the unit out of the car? No. I watched vids on youtube - all are older than ours and lower spec - light comes out easy.

I did the other side 12 months ago and it was a PITA but I got the light unit free. I am mindful I do not want to break anything so I do not want to lose my temper. I have put my tools away.

I really have no love for this car.

On 22/03/2024 at 14:22, Rust Collector said:

Text from my neighbour this morning:

‘Are you aware you have a hole in your roof?’

d54ed601-aad5-4b31-8d95-09cf5a48b289.jpeg.640d1d6ec03082e4ef6b224211311b9a.jpeg

I was not aware, and I was blissful in my ignorance.

Now that I’m encumbered with the knowledge of a hole in my roof I am grumpy.

I guess my Friday evening is going to involve a ladder then.

Roofs are a pain when they start going…. We’ve had a roofer out a couple of times recently as we had a leaking dormer and a hole in the roof following a storm in a similar position to yours. Being a dormer bungalow I had to climb into the roof space to investigate… 

Through the hole… 

IMG_4108.jpeg.ffffb097c14bb6c62d18010455a8034e.jpeg

Temporary repair. 
IMG_4110.jpeg.8d2f08fffd41f267a8783ad765c7c5d9.jpeg

Not much space: 

IMG_4128.jpeg.2656d8616af887b446273654188bd808.jpeg

Reminds me, I need to retrieve that bucket now the roofer has been. 

On water based grumps, we have a leaking heating system somewhere, as we now have a hole in the ceiling in the hole where water has dripped through… floorboards lifted, and so far can’t find it. Which means I need to move all the bedroom furniture to lift the next boards along. 

On a car based grump… (which is why I came here before being distracted by roofs) 

We bought (well PCPd) a brand new MG for the good lady a couple of years ago because we wanted the security of her not breaking down whilst the kids were babies and having a warranty if it did. Two weeks ago it broke (steering column has broken). Tbh in over 2 years we’ve had absolutely no issues, so that’s ok, cars break sometimes. However, MG agreed to look at it a few days later, and when we told them it was being recovered to them they claimed to have no record of the booking (despite having confirmed over the phone they would have it.) and informed us it would be another couple of weeks before they could look at it. We tried the other two MG dealers and got “end of April” and “looking at June mate” 

The dealer won’t provide a courtesy car. So we will have been paying for a car for a month which is sat broken on the drive. And who knows how long it will take them to get parts in.

Which would be fine if the wheel bearing on the XC90 didn’t fail and the Saab’s MoT wasn’t expiring this week. 🙄

Might have to buy another car at this rate! 

38 minutes ago, brownnova said:

The dealer won’t provide a courtesy car. So we will have been paying for a car for a month which is sat broken on the drive. And who knows how long it will take them to get parts in.

Is it still on finance? Might be worth giving the finance company a poke and mention the lackadaisical dealers and booking error on their part. I've known of them to 'encourage' the dealer to resolve the issue due to the fact that as you rightly say, you're paying your finance agreement but you don't have the vehicle to use.

3 hours ago, brownnova said:

Roofs are a pain when they start going…. We’ve had a roofer out a couple of times recently as we had a leaking dormer and a hole in the roof following a storm in a similar position to yours. Being a dormer bungalow I had to climb into the roof space to investigate… 

Through the hole… 

IMG_4108.jpeg.ffffb097c14bb6c62d18010455a8034e.jpeg

Temporary repair. 
IMG_4110.jpeg.8d2f08fffd41f267a8783ad765c7c5d9.jpeg

Not much space: 

IMG_4128.jpeg.2656d8616af887b446273654188bd808.jpeg

Reminds me, I need to retrieve that bucket now the roofer has been. 

On water based grumps, we have a leaking heating system somewhere, as we now have a hole in the ceiling in the hole where water has dripped through… floorboards lifted, and so far can’t find it. Which means I need to move all the bedroom furniture to lift the next boards along. 

You need to make sure air can circulate within that cold area of your eaves space, and that the insulation isn’t blocking any routes that the air needs to move; or else you’ll have more rot to deal with before long. 

43 minutes ago, GlenAnderson said:

You need to make sure air can circulate within that cold area of your eaves space, and that the insulation isn’t blocking any routes that the air needs to move; or else you’ll have more rot to deal with before long. 

I reckon that’s what has fucked my roof, the insulation looks to be so thick that it’s creating an air pocket round the edges that presumably has restricted air circulation.

25 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

I reckon that’s what has fucked my roof, the insulation looks to be so thick that it’s creating an air pocket round the edges that presumably has restricted air circulation.

Yeah. I was told years ago, by an old fashioned roofer; If you’re going to insulate, you’ve got to ventilate. 

No point saving £300 a year on your gas bill if you’re going to face twenty times that inside a decade for roof repairs. ☹️

Speaking of roofing, been trying to get hold of the company who did a whole bunch of work for us last year as there have been a couple of things that have failed over the winter.  Emails bounce and they're not answering their phone.  Great.  So much for the ten year warranty then.

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

Speaking of roofing, been trying to get hold of the company who did a whole bunch of work for us last year as there have been a couple of things that have failed over the winter.  Emails bounce and they're not answering their phone.  Great.  So much for the ten year warranty then.

Is every trade or business in your area run by Dominic fucking Chappell or something?

15 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Is every trade or business in your area run by Dominic fucking Chappell or something?

Evidently.

I mean, of course this wasn't going to get blown off by the wind.  A single self tapper into the plastic soffit board and into the clip on end of the gutter was *obviously* going to be adequate.

IMG_20240320_112956.jpg.ce2c12e958153c3157729f7977ccc493.jpg

IMG_20240320_112935.jpg.ac34643187360a59f124407ae73219e5.jpg

One on the other side of the house is on the way to doing exactly the same thing.

IMG_20231120_154841.jpg.1c73393bd284deea0d0b434908e68e42.jpg

Plus both of these bits of trim have fallen off.

IMG_20240321_130213-EDIT.jpg.7d504830090918e0e10bfa68f18e5572.jpg

They've already re-fitted that once.

Guess I'm going to need to get someone else in to sort it, though god only knows what else they're going to find if they start digging.  They *seemed* to be doing a decent job of the bulk of the work as far as I could tell at the time, but it looks like they've really half assed the finishing portion.  They were also horrifically bad at turning up when they said they would.  Basically every review for them on Google for the last six months is a 1 star job.

I do not deal well with heights, so will not be doing this myself.

Ma bursts into my shed while I'm drilling.

Quick! Idiot Sister is on the phone. She's at KDA and wants to know what to buy to cut the cat stuff!!!!!!

Er, what cat stuff?

The stuff that came for the cat! You know in that black bag.

Nope. Could you vague it up a bit for me? What's it made of?

You know. Maybe metal, or plastic, or plastic metal. Maybe mesh.

Angle grinder? Cuts* most things.

No! Sensible!

Well if it's wire maybe wire cutters?

(5 minutes later) They don't have wire cutters !!!!!!!!

Er, something else cutter-y?

Think she went for secateurs in the end. Doesn't really matter when most of the tools sold there are sub blackspur quality. 

Forgot to mention sister actually did get a kitten from "ex film star cats". For legal reasons* they can't tell her the film, or show her what it's been trained to do. Unless eating and shitting are it's special talents. So not a scam, unless you consider selling random kittens at a markup because they're special* is a scam.

On 25/03/2024 at 13:18, GlenAnderson said:

Yeah. I was told years ago, by an old fashioned roofer; If you’re going to insulate, you’ve got to ventilate. 

No point saving £300 a year on your gas bill if you’re going to face twenty times that inside a decade for roof repairs. ☹️

Stalekleivloftet.png.7f2b25faf6223e4898bb58c8d0783281.png

This wooden building in Norway is over 800 years old and hasn't rotted away, and you can see why. The construction allows for ventilation even under the floor.

2 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Ma bursts into my shed while I'm drilling.

Quick! Idiot Sister is on the phone. She's at KDA and wants to know what to buy to cut the cat stuff!!!!!!

"I've no idea what you're on about and am not going to make a decision without the right information that is clearly going to be my fault later."

Seriously.  Stop letting everyone make everything your issue.