collection mission to SPAIN!!!! COMPLETED IT M8

Mr_Bo11ox

41 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

Looks like you are coming most of the way through France on the payage - the tolls have got very pricey make sure you have enough on your card.

£195 for both directions (Calais/Toulon/Calais) at Christmas. Doesn't seem so bad really.

I'm expecting to be relatively relaxed on the Thursday and Friday so time permitting I'll try to keep off the motorways I think. Sunday i'll be stressed to funk and going as fast as I think the brownmobile can go without blowing itself to bits

Must be taking this gig seriously now as this weekend I have got my GHIC card in case I unexpectedly end up in a French hospital. Up to now I have always adopted an 'ah it'll be fine man' attitude to all that stuff. Also bought a pair of fairly lightweight Puma trainers specfically for doing all this driving. My usual footwear is a pair of CAT steel toecap shoes that my work gave me, or a pair of quite nice Scarpa walking boots. Or slippers. None seem suitable for 3-4 consecutive full day shifts of Simca pedalling, so I went to the Shiters favourite fashion house 'TK Maxx' and  splashed £35 (YES £35) on some trainers

7 hours ago, wuvvum said:

This is going to be good!  Already one of the most liked posts in AS history and you haven't even left yet...

Bo11ox and Simcas takes me back to about 2007 when you brought along a spare Solara torsion bar to see if it'd fit my 1300 van when you were picking up that slightly* rusty Sigma estate.  I should have done more with that van really but the council said it had to go.  I'd love a hatch one day but probably not enough to go to Valencia for one.  I have a copy (courtesy of @Spottedlaurel) of the March 1975 What Car? where they did a Simca 1100 v Renault 6 road test, the Simca won that one and I'd be curious to see how they compare 50 years later.

kinell, yes I remember that well, 17 years ago eh. Jesus.

The engine out of that Sigma only went the distance a few weeks ago, as part of my Dad's garage clear out. I promised it to Hirst years ago but we never quite got it sorted between us

On 27/04/2024 at 20:24, barefoot said:

This is the third time I've looked at this thread and since no-one else seems to have done it yet, I'd like to ask for first dibs when you decide to move it on. I also have been looking at SIMCAs and although ideally I'd like an automatic estate I'm willing to make an exception for a brown one. 

Yo Barefoot, as I have not even clapped eyes on this thing yet I'm not taking any dibs just now!!!! But why dont you join my club and get one yourself? heres my top 5 Simca 1100's from my watchlists.

Simca Talbot 1200 3 puertas 1977 carousel

https://es.wallapop.com/item/simca-talbot-1200-3-puertas-1977-998139576

This rare 3-dr one in Beade (Galicia, NW Spain) looks dead neat (if slightly tide marky), €2400

Talbot 1200 1981 carousel

https://es.wallapop.com/item/talbot-1200-1981-983380689

This very late (1981) Talbot-badged one looks absolutely cracking for 1500€, probably better value than mine TBH. Its recently come down from 2500€. Location: Barcelona

Simca 1100 break talbot chrysler collection (image 2)

https://www.leboncoin.fr/ad/voitures/2606181207

This estate one has been for sale for flipping months yet looks absolutely brilliant and well worth €2500 if you ask me, Location not far rom Bordeaux

Simca 1100 vf2 (image 2)

https://www.leboncoin.fr/ad/voitures/2624625977

This VF2 looks intriguing and is only 500€ although its  a non-runner due to an ignition problem so thats a fat lot of use really isn't it. Still, its nice to look at (IMO)

Voiture ancienne (image 1)

https://www.leboncoin.fr/ad/voitures/2663065578

really shit advert here, but this looks well interesting for 1000€ although it needs some recommissioning seemingly

Simca 1100 gls (image 2)

https://www.leboncoin.fr/ad/voitures/2630446663

This one looks absolutely brilliant, he's not giving it away at 3200€ but it doesnt seem a big rip off considering how nice it looks. Location: Just this side of the Pyrenees

Simca 1200 especial carousel

https://es.wallapop.com/item/simca-1200-especial-995174393

Someone's gone TICK BOX KERR-AZY on the options list with this one - tinted glass, alloys, fogs AND driving lamps, looks the business for 2500€. Location Andalusia

simca 1200 rojo carousel

https://es.wallapop.com/item/simca-1200-rojo-740837294

This one looks super straight, I bet it would come up absolutely mega after a polishing mop sesh. Price is 2290€ but he's had it for sale for months, was 2500. I bet you'd get it for €2000. Location: Galicia (NW Spain again)

I might just book a few days off work to follow this thread 
All the best Mr B, always enjoy reading your adventures, welding skillz and collections.

P.s:
Still makes me laugh, that you swapped me a bag rammed full of Haribo and Lucozade, for a reliant engine 

He sweetened the deal.

Gzongenflatch

Never before have I seen a single post hit a three-figure "like" count.

Living up to your name, indeed, on this one!

These days I have concerns about going to the Midlands from Aberdeen for a car, and I'm a fair bit younger than you!

12 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Never before have I seen a single post hit a three-figure "like" count.

Living up to your name, indeed, on this one!

These days I have concerns about going to the Midlands from Aberdeen for a car, and I'm a fair bit younger than you!

Jeez - 121 likes and 8 thanks so far - methinks he may have won the week, if not the month!

I'm far less intrepid nowadays than I was a few years ago. e.g. my A-frame has several years of dust on it now!!!! I haven't got rid of it though as it I like to tell myself I haven't completely given up on the shite lifestyle. Struggle to see myself changing a set of tyres in a muddy field using tyre levers & footpump these days tbh.

3 hours ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Struggle to see myself changing a set of tyres in a muddy field using tyre levers & footpump these days tbh.

Ah, the Avenger estate! Still laugh about the Stomils reference you made. Whatever happened to that one?

1 hour ago, Jenson Velcro said:

I wonder what the locals think of these cars in their homeland? Do they consider them classics, bangers or regular transport? 

I went on holiday to Portugal and there was a surprising amount of old rammel just being used as daily transport, R4 and 5, 2CVs etc. 

Where we went in the Algarve they reckoned they only get 2 weeks rain a year, that plus zero road salt means nothing seems to rust much and I reckon there are a lower % of people who are engaged in the love island/new build house/£750 a month rented premium* SUV lifestyle.

31 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

I went on holiday to Portugal and there was a surprising amount of old rammel just being used as daily transport, R4 and 5, 2CVs etc. 

Where we went in the Algarve they reckoned they only get 2 weeks rain a year, that plus zero road salt means nothing seems to rust much and I reckon there are a lower % of people who are engaged in the love island/new build house/£750 a month rented premium* SUV lifestyle.

Sounds nice

Can I still move there post brexist?

I think the importation process post-brexit is more complicated than it used to be, but not impossible. Classic cars are subject to 5% import tax and this has to be collected by a legit customs agent. So basically you have to find one of these and pay him to manage the levying and collection of that money. I emailed HMRC and they sent me a long list of people/companied authorised to do this and I contacted a few of them. The cheapest I found was charging £125 to levy/collect the tax then issue whatever bit of paper it is to say that been paid, plus do the NOVA declaration (for which an input is that same confirmation that the duties are paid). So I’m looking at £125 broker fee plus about £50-60 actual import tax. Previously all this cost £0 of course, but because the economy is now so much bigger and more vibrant than it used to be pre-brexit, forking out the £185 is actually a real-terms bonus or something, idk

6 hours ago, Jenson Velcro said:

I wonder what the locals think of these cars in their homeland? Do they consider them classics, bangers or regular transport? 

I've never remembered seeing one of these on the road in France in 20 years. A very very few at shows - not that they are a bad car, quite the opposite they are nicely drivable - it's just that they all got used and used up and they stopped making them 40+ years ago.

They have joined the Talbot Horizon, Peugeot 309, Renault 18, Talbot Samba etc etc in virtual French oblivion as 'classic' cars. Collectable Post-War Simca cars tend to be the Aronde, Bargeera and the Vedettes ; especially the very flashy V8.

There are no bangers on French roads much - most now pushed off the road by the strict MoT.

Plenty of everything tucked away in sheds - so unpopularity means that lots of parts are still about tho.