The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Doctor's - not been since January's farce just trying to get registered as a patient to get checked out  because of the insurances companies insistence, never did get an appointment with a doctor as such just gave it up as a bad cause. 

Been feeling rough the last few days to the point I'd take my chances at the doctors for once in 9 years.  

1st appointment is Thursday... I could have walked off a heart attack by then ffs.

Told me to call twice a day for any cancellations, yeah thanks.

Another vote for Croatia - its lovely.

I'd consider the Greek islands still though. The economic situation might cause some issues but life still goes on and there will be some very good deals available I would imagine. Just make sure you take some cash with you.

I very much doubt that the Greek islands will be hit as hard as the mainland, being as their economies are so heavily tourist-based. Chap on Radio 4 was saying that a lot of places are refusing card transactions, but as long as you take plenty of small-denomination notes with you, you'll be fine. As a bonus, if they do dump the Euro in the next few weeks, everything will get a lot cheaper.

The last time I went island-hopping was 10 years ago, but I can vouch for Rhodes and Kos. Obviously there are tacky 'mini-England' areas, but there's plenty of decent places too, if you don't mind doing some exploring. I can thoroughly recommend Rhodes Town, really old place with tonnes of character, and you can get to Turkey in a couple of hours. Kos is great as you can cover most of the island by scooter in a couple of days, and Zia is an awesome place to spend an evening/night.

I've been to both Zante and Corfu, and they're both really nice. Granted, there are a few NEONBURGERSKYSPORTSOMG places, but if you can avoid staying there, and hire a car or scooter, there are some lovely places to see on both islands. The sea is crystal clear, the beaches are clean, the people are ace and the food is delicious.

Take lots of eurocash, and I can't see how you can go wrong.

So I nearly got killed by a Latvian knob who thought it was a good idea to turn right across traffic (on a 50 mph road) when his traffic light was on red!!

Thank goodness I had cat like reflexes (on this occasion), four good disc brakes, and that I was only going the requisite 50 (because I'll admit I don't always...)

On the upside, the dickhead in question was driving a Latvian plated Daewoo Nexia! Haven't seen one of those in a while... Would have been a shame to have obliterated it.

i would like to visit malta at some point, from what i've seen the place looks lovely, and i also would like to visit florence.

i'm not one for beach holidays and that, i live by the sea anyway!

Try Bosnia. Mostar is a beautiful small town with a bad history - so glad the bridge has been rebuilt. Similarly Sarajevo, still with plenty of obvious she'll damage to most of the buildings in and around the city. The old town is fantastic, and a real mix of cultures. Again, a city ruined by the events of 20 years ago, which is being repaired or left as a reminder.

Well pxssed off. Trying to book a cheapo sunshine holiday in October. Greece is about to go bust so all those islands are out. Tunisia. Fxck right off! Same goes for Egypt and the other Arab states. The ball and chain doesn't like Turkey and Tenegrief/Lanzagrote too expensive. Suggestions please! 

The Isle of Wight.

Well pxssed off. Trying to book a cheapo sunshine holiday in October. Greece is about to go bust so all those islands are out. Tunisia. Fxck right off! Same goes for Egypt and the other Arab states. The ball and chain doesn't like Turkey and Tenegrief/Lanzagrote too expensive. Suggestions please! 

The Greek islands are fine, just take cash!! Im off to Kos in August, those little islands are a far cry from the chaos in Athens. It will take a very very long time for Greece to exit the euro, its not somthing that could happen next week. Go Greece..

Why is my inbox full of messages like "important information regarding your privacy", "updates to our charging system", "hurry, you could win 10,000 points", "order goodyear tyres and secure your discount" and so on, ad naus. If they're not telling you charges are increasing or your privacy is anything but, they're trying to sell you more product.

Ebay seems the worst, they sound desperately cheerful with "Wow", "Summer Fun", "Inspire", "Hurry - you could win" all favourites and all appearing in the last week or two. Maybe these 'motivational' email headers are proven through careful* research to be just that?

As far as I'm concerned, the more cheerful/baraginous they sound, the less likely I am to read them.

I got one today informing me what the cost of my funeral in twenty years is going to be and that I need to sign up and give them £14,000 in a payment plan to save myself from the expense.

I'll be dead when it happens so  why do I need to worry about my funeral costs?

Stick me in a box, spray it with glitter paint and bury/burn it at the bottom of someone's garden, that'll be good enough for me.

Obviously I never use main dealers, but I've just had to get an under-warranty vehicle serviced at one on behalf of an organisation I volunteer with.

£544 for a first service on a Citroen Relay! What do they fill the engine with - Duckhams infused with fucking gold leaf?

Oh, but I can get a few quid off if I sign up to their "service plan". What a bargain.

I am watching the possible Grexit with interest as I am looking at buying a place abroad to retire to and the Euro is now heading downwards. I have found a place that I like the look of and it's already gone down £3,000 in the last week :-) You'll all be pleased to know that it would fit in well on the sister site "Buildingshite"

As for holidaying in Greece, only about 40% the ATMs have money in them and there is a 60 Euro withdrawal restriction per day, tourists are advised to take enough cash to see them through their entire holiday.  

You're not authorised to view the dipstick.

Oil level is checked by proceeding to a VW dealer, lowering your trousers and assuming the position. Or just drive it till it pops.

Company car Aldi doesn't even have a dipstick, it displays the level ion the main screen. Takes about 10 miles once the bonnet has been opened for it to work out how much oil is in it. Handy when you just want to do a quick top up...