The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

This bush in the front garden apparently decided yesterday that it was spring and therefore time to burst into flower.

20240224_142510.thumb.jpg.d196714bafb463d1f16ab528f8f7f0ae.jpg

It may have regretted that decision this morning.

20240225_080716.thumb.jpg.81379cabee68b429f1fd0d3d757435f4.jpg

Went to see a mate on Friday night and he gave me a present.

20240224_141918.thumb.jpg.a6bc33e9d2f5e169da5abfedd4f42881.jpg

A 3D jigsaw puzzle in the shape of an essentially complete but broken (snapped crank - TADTS apparently) Vespa GT125.  I really didn't need another two-wheeled project, but it was free so I couldn't really say no!  I've not done anything with it yet though, I've not even got it out of the back of the Zafira yet.  I did have a bit of a tinker with the Lexmoto today (one of the other two-wheeled projects) and got the headlight working - not got the tail light working yet as I ran out of daylight but that should just be a question of finding the correct wire from the back of the bike and joining it up.

The 75 is in for its MOT tomorrow morning so I gave it a quick look over - couldn't see any obvious fails but was a little surprised at how bad the front tyres have got - one is at around 2.5mm and the other still has loads of tread but is starting to crack.  So I'm going to have to fork out for another pair of tyres for it fairly soon - it had a great pair of nearly new tyres on the front but they both got nommed when the springs snapped.  Handbrake is still shite but it always has been and always seems to pass so fingers crossed it will again.  I even gave it a quick hoover out as it was pretty grim inside.

I ordered 4 new tyres for the 75 today. 2 are perished and slow-punctured Avons and the front 2 are Falken Zeits nearly on the markers.

Normally I'd go for Falkens which are A rated for wet grip which is important to me on a 1.7 ton car.

But I noticed GT Radials, not normally a tyre brand I'd go for were on offer for £30 off for 4, so that would be £287 mobile fitted. They are identical to the Falkens in that they are A rated for wet grip , D for economy (not important with my low mileage) and 69db. That's about a £45 saving over the Falkens.

Screenshot_20240226_114445_Chrome.thumb.jpg.85177a156af193655f3d3c9b77a01669.jpg

I have 215/50 on just now but you can equally fit the wider/lower profile type and they are much cheaper.

I also collected 2 good used complete front struts as 1 damper is leaking badly.

13 hours ago, wuvvum said:

This bush in the front garden apparently decided yesterday that it was spring and therefore time to burst into flower.

If it's not shown signs of distress in the past, judging by how mature it looks, a cold snap likely won't cause it any bother.  Once established, Camellias tend to be pretty tough old things.  If anything, the frost could improve its tolerance to cold snaps.  Keep an eye on any yellow/brown die back and chop it off to prevent disease, other than that you should be able to just leave it be and enjoy the lovely flowers.

19 minutes ago, egg said:

@Yoss @wesacosaand our other Skoda botherers - just had an email from Czech parts supplier 'skoda parts' saying they can ship to the UK without customs and fees (seems they are also UK registered now). Might be of interest...

image.png.ea173696d38b0f9617edf1a5a0014b45.png

ooh thanks that's good to know. looks like delivery fees are down too (was a flat €17 last time I used them)

13 hours ago, wuvvum said:

It may have regretted that decision this morning.

20240225_080716.thumb.jpg.81379cabee68b429f1fd0d3d757435f4.jpg

Went to see a mate on Friday night and he gave me a present.

20240224_141918.thumb.jpg.a6bc33e9d2f5e169da5abfedd4f42881.jpg

A 3D jigsaw puzzle in the shape of an essentially complete but broken (snapped crank - TADTS apparently) Vespa GT125.  I really didn't need another two-wheeled project, but it was free so I couldn't really say no!  I've not done anything with it yet though, I've not even got it out of the back of the Zafira yet.  I did have a bit of a tinker with the Lexmoto today (one of the other two-wheeled projects) and got the headlight working - not got the tail light working yet as I ran out of daylight but that should just be a question of finding the correct wire from the back of the bike and joining it up.

The 75 is in for its MOT tomorrow morning so I gave it a quick look over - couldn't see any obvious fails but was a little surprised at how bad the front tyres have got - one is at around 2.5mm and the other still has loads of tread but is starting to crack.  So I'm going to have to fork out for another pair of tyres for it fairly soon - it had a great pair of nearly new tyres on the front but they both got nommed when the springs snapped.  Handbrake is still shite but it always has been and always seems to pass so fingers crossed it will again.  I even gave it a quick hoover out as it was pretty grim inside.

Welcome to thr club.

20240224_121459.jpg

1 hour ago, egg said:

@Yoss @wesacosaand our other Skoda botherers - just had an email from Czech parts supplier 'skoda parts' saying they can ship to the UK without customs and fees (seems they are also UK registered now). Might be of interest...

image.png.ea173696d38b0f9617edf1a5a0014b45.png

Thanks, I got the very same email. It is good to know they are now UK registered. I've no idea how that works but it's good news. I must admit they don't have quite as good a range as they did a few years ago but still better than over here obviously. I guess even over there supplies will start drying up.

Had to collect a greenhouse.

Range Rover isn't as big as you'd think inside, I should probably have spent the money on a pickup for the way I do things!

5F435359-C0C0-4010-9214-35EF483D28EA.thumb.jpeg.19d79adc86702a867d0eb7c08afb2b39.jpeg

On the other hand not many 4x4s have the, er, pickup that this thing displays.  A New Defender tried to catch me on the bypass and failed.

And I suppose it could be pretty and fast. If I chucked £185,000 at a Cheiftain.

8 minutes ago, puddlethumper said:

I have a friend who bought an Evoque about 9 years ago and has traded it in for a new Defenceless. Depreciation on said Evoque was 4 grand per year. I could have at least a different car every year, if not more, with that. 

Shock horror in new cars depreciate scandal!

You could but you wouldn't have a new car with a manufacturers warranty, it's a good job cars depreciate as it allows others to buy them when they are older.

On 25/02/2024 at 16:17, Ghosty said:

I used the sedan about ten times last year, if that. Couple of shows and runs on nice days. 

Coming out the house to it every day, I felt bad looking at it. It wanted for nothing, but left me lacking enthusiasm, and I've been taking my hatch Civic out over it every time. Drove it around Christmas and it felt weird. Not right, I'd fallen out of love with it. I drove it again on Valentine's day and I just knew it wasn't right any more. The Yaris has taken up its practical side, and the hatch Civic my passion and the fun side. What use was it to me?

My friend needed to borrow a car. I lent it out, 'cause I trust her with it. 

And well, she's ended up keeping it, cause she loves it. I've got my money back on it and it's gone on to a great home where I'll still see it about. Driving around with it there with me is surreal, but it's the right thing. I'm glad it's being used and that I get to vicariously enjoy it. 

It's in good hands, it's with a certain Favorit owner who doesn't do things by halves...

It's been a sweet two and a half years. But sometimes, if you love things, you need to set them free. 

PXL_20240223_193524394.jpg

Damn, I would have loved taking it off your hands. Let her know should she decide to pass it on!

17 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

This also seems to be the wider consensus.  I have heard the company is no longer trading.

They've been part of the Goodyear group for quite some time now, and their road tyres haven't been made in the UK for ages. Their old factory in Melksham (by the banks of the river Avon) still stands, but has only been making tyres for motorsport use, and is rumoured to be up for sale. 

I don't think that any tyres are designed to last very long at all. The MOT stipulates 7 years max, and I've just replaced the set of four Hankooks that I put on my Rover 75 as soon as I bought it in July/August 2019. I suspect it's something to do with the fact that they are made of recyclable shit rather than the proper rubber and infinite-life hydrocarbons like they were in the good old days. 

Talking to one of the lads at work, he's in his late 20s. Mentioned how I bought a 106 S1 Rallye for £900 about 15 years ago.

He was fairly gobsmacked. Loves em as much as I do.

Then a couple of hours later, this drove past my window:

image.png.ff6bd6e59c8d68a7b07a1df979db31e8.png

Piloted by what looked like a fairly elderly couple (although it was quite dark so I hope I haven't offended anyone)

I was in two minds whether to sprint after it and offer them £900 for their "Auld Peugeot" . Then I noticed the plate.... 03 is late for a rallye.

Comes up as 1100cc on the DVLA, so it's a replica!! How dare they!

2 hours ago, barefoot said:

I don't think that any tyres are designed to last very long at all. The MOT stipulates 7 years max. 

Are you sure about that? Its 10 years for vehicles with more than 8 seats and only if they are on the front axle but there are no checks on private vehicles at all.

Screenshot_20240227_181001_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d4d7ee3936e1f9ad3bbdaff956dcf194.jpg

Screenshot_20240227_181215_Chrome.thumb.jpg.46b8845745211d77ac110db82a0f10a3.jpg