The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Got the old strut off the BMW with relatively little difficulty.  There appears to be a problem with the new one though - the strut top mount won't turn, or at least it will but only with major levering - it should be spinning more or less freely.  I'm not sure what's gone wrong - whether the garage have put the strut together wrong (which would surprise me as they're generally very good), whether they've overtightened the top nut, or whether one of the bits I bought is dodgy or there's something missing.  Either way it's not ready to go on the car yet so I've had to shove the old one back in temporarily.

Also the windows have now stopped working.  I came back to the car having gone to get some tools and the driver's door window had gone half way down, which was odd as I hadn't touched anything.  It didn't want to go back up - operating the switch did nowt.  Eventually I managed to get it to close, but then it wouldn't move - it wouldn't even drop down fractionally when the door is open like it's supposed to.  Until I came in for a coffee and went out to find it had dropped down fractionally, and now wouldn't go back up again.  Still, at least the gap is now only a few mm rather than the several inches it was before, so hopefully it won't get too wet in there.

I plugged the Delphi in and it couldn't find any codes - the only stored codes were in relation to the wiper park switch (which I was aware of) and me disconnecting the battery.  The Delphi will "ping" the window lifters, bypassing the switches, but I didn't try that today as I wasn't sure whether it'll only "ping" them in one direction.  I also didn't try the roof given the weather, but assume that if the windows aren't working that won't be either.  I'm assuming it's the BCM which has thrown a wobbly - I've now disconnected the battery for the night and will see if it wakes up again when I reconnect everything tomorrow.  If not I'm going to have to remove the BCM and get it repaired - yet another bloody expense.  This car really is fighting me every step of the way.

5 hours ago, MJK 24 said:

Friend just WhatsApp’d me.

His Transit Connect had just started running like a bag of shit and clonking and banging.  Had to pull over at the side of the road.

Looks like the engine and box are hanging out 😂

1F023D8B-5890-4FDC-86DA-46F8BA586A2F.jpeg

What vintage is that? I bet that's not a cheap fix. Hope he's OK 

9 minutes ago, 320touring said:

To quote an old meme...

"I wanna RACECAR!!!1!"

Screenshot_20240303-194146-289.thumb.png.e8f038b9731dd7a6ad863b1e0d69c5ac.png

"We have a RACECAR at home..."

The RACECAR at home...

IMG_20240303_161122200.thumb.jpg.23ab56364b00c194ba8f814eff0d3695.jpg

Fast Clios .. Great bunch of lads!

Looks minor to what my GTI had going by the copart pictures!

Reconnected the battery on the Z4 this morning and the windows are working again.  The boot latch solenoid has gone mental though, firing off every few seconds.  I took the trim panel off and yanked the plug out in the end - the key lock operates the latch via an old fashioned analogue cable so the electric bit isn't really required anyway.  And at least the car is now watertight.

Spent most of yeaterday trying to find the water ingress on the black Saab. The recent inclement weather certainly hasn’t been helping, and CaptainBoom thinks it was coming in from the real light clusters but I didn’t see any sign of old water ingress here.

I also put a new aerial in but still no radio reception.

Cannot locate the water ingress anywhere, but judging by the passenger side of the boot is wetter and has more surface rust I would say it’s either the hole the aerial pokes through in the rear wing, or the rearmost window in the C-pillar leaks somewhere.

After reinstalling the aerial I squirted water all over the car with the hose and saw no ingress, and as the aerial retaining nut on the outside was barely finger tight I’m hoping that is problem solved.

The boot carpets and fabric lining is out of the car so it can dry out.

Meanwhile the last tonne of substrate for my driveway should be arriving today, hopefully by the end of the week it will be laid.

11 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

Spent most of yeaterday trying to find the water ingress on the black Saab. The recent inclement weather certainly hasn’t been helping, and CaptainBoom thinks it was coming in from the real light clusters but I didn’t see any sign of old water ingress here.

I also put a new aerial in but still no radio reception.

Cannot locate the water ingress anywhere, but judging by the passenger side of the boot is wetter and has more surface rust I would say it’s either the hole the aerial pokes through in the rear wing, or the rearmost window in the C-pillar leaks somewhere.

After reinstalling the aerial I squirted water all over the car with the hose and saw no ingress, and as the aerial retaining nut on the outside was barely finger tight I’m hoping that is problem solved.

The boot carpets and fabric lining is out of the car so it can dry out.

Meanwhile the last tonne of substrate for my driveway should be arriving today, hopefully by the end of the week it will be laid.

@vulgalourused talc to find a water leak in his maestro I remember, especially if you've already got the interior out.

Plus it'll smell nice afterwards 

Moved into the new house yesterday.  The whole thing went remarkably smoothly except for me underestimating how much actually goes into a regular sized Transit.  Fortunately my friends are amazing, so this wasn't an absolute disaster, so the half dozen boxes that I had to leave behind are going to make their way up here later this week.  Figuring out moving van size is difficult, a longer wheelbase or higher roof would have been enough to get everything in, but since the next size up would have been both those things that seemed like it would have been much too big and everything would have been rattling about.

Now is the race to get the studio up and running again and my headspace where I need it creatively to get back on with work.  I definitely don't want to take more than this week off to do it, if I'm not working I'm not earning, such is the nature of self employment.

There's a couple who send their daughter to the same school as my youngest son.  Usually, they rock up in a green 1994 Defender 90 with a few splodges of red oxide on it.  However, it looks like they've got some new wheels!

IMG_0678.thumb.jpeg.a8b0ec8b21035d5b6ad82975d545eece.jpeg

I don't ever remember seeing one in AS Bronze.  Tabling a motion to have it included in the new Autoshite logo.  Mega.

3 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Not a million miles away from yourself, as it happens, in sunny Scunny.  Well it was sunny yesterday, it's pretty damp today.

Blimey, you do get about the place.  Not too far from here but also nearly an hour away, such is life on the island county!

26 minutes ago, ruffgeezer said:

Blimey, you do get about the place.

I worked out last night I've moved 10 times in 25 years.  It's no wonder I struggle to finish anything.  Derbyshire, Yorkshire, Croydon, Lincolnshire, Kent, Middlesbrough... it'd just be nice to stay put,  I can't keep doing this.