The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

The 9000 has eased over 203,000 this weekend  having covered over 1000 miles in the last three weeks... 

Its become the family wagon of choice as both Mrs_b and I find the C5 we bought to take the family use strain rather uncomfortable to drive.... 

Replacement likely to be Swedish methinks... 

4 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

And following more pointers from NorthernMonkey, cleaned out the connecter and used my Compucleaner to blow out the connections, back to a smooth idle once more.   New one will be kept as a spare since they seem to be a damn consumable item on K11's. 

Any pics for fellow K11 owners to see please, my K11 will be called into service soon now the Sigma is broken ?

So today this happened.

First start in several years.  (The buzzing noise when revved is because the bottom exhaust bolt is missing so the exhaust rattles around a bit.)  Didn't take all that much starting to be honest - I gave the carb a quick clean, drained the varnish from the tank and put some fresh pez in, and it started after a few kicks.  I did take the plug out to clean but it didn't actually need doing.  Not bad for a 40-year-old 2-stroke (although to be fair the engine is only in its late 20s).  It's not UK registered so I definitely didn't* put my helmet on and take it for a cheeky spin up the road.

The Spacy wasn't quite so keen to play ball.  It has compression now so my oil down the bore last weekend seems to have done the trick.  It'll fire up briefly but then it dies, if you keep winding it over it does nowt but if you leave it for half an hour and try again it'll again start briefly and then conk out.  I might have to whip the carb off again as apparently not enough fuel is getting through.  At least the fact that it'll run briefly is a relief - will hopefully avoid having to take the head off.

Dug the 164 out of the garage and put it back on the drive.  That was relatively straightforward - only issue encountered was the battery didn't quite have enough juice to start the car, but a pair of jump leads from my big battery and it fired up straight away.  The indicators didn't work though, so I had a fun session with the multimeter trying to remember how the fuck I'd wired up the flasher unit all those years ago.  They're working now, although the offside rear cluster needs the earth looking at as it's flashing the tail light bulb at the same time.

Prior to putting the Volvo on the drive I backed the CRV in and changed the rear diff oil.  Again a fairly straightforward job, although I had to use the breaker bar to get the filler plug undone.  It's definitely quieter on full lock now, so that's good.  It might be up for sale soon though as I don't have a particular use for it.

I've traced the fault with the rear foglights on the Innocenti to a rusted earth connection to the light bodies.  Unfortunately the bolts holding the light units and earth wires in place showed no interest in coming undone, so I've bodged a temporary connector behind the bumper to bridge the rusty bit in the earth connection.  I'm going to do a slightly better job when I can be arsed and run a separate wire from the lamp unit to a decent earthing point.  The non-functioning high beam was traced to a knackered relay - standard 5 pin job so I've ordered one off eBay.  The non-functioning offside repeater was a little more puzzling, as it was getting power but there was no illumination happening.  Turns out that's a slightly dodgy earth - I'm not going to start pissing about with the wiring inside the wing so I've fitted an LED bulb which there is enough juice to light.  I'll get there one day...

I also tried out my new 12v jet wash - it actually worked surprisingly well by the standards of cheap Chinese eBay electricals, putting out a fairly powerful  jet despite the fact that the pickup pipe was just shoved in a bucket of water.  It'll make rinsing cars off a lot easier than chucking endless buckets of water over them anyway.

I put the rear nearside door on my neighbour's Fusion back together yesterday. Unfortunately a few fixings had gone missing in the meantime, namely the little spring clip that holds the window winder on. However as we just cut the cables inside the door and wedged the window up, it won't be doing much winding so it is jammed on with blu-tac now.

It looks better than before without the gaffa tape round the window at least.

Today is the 30th anniversary of The Volvo's first registration. It was supplied by Lex Brooklands in Colindale, north west London, which is still trading, albeit under a different name. I was going to drive the car back there today, but it seemed like an awfully decadent thing to do, given the current circumstances. Also, its battery is flat. Once I've given it a jump, I might drive to Basildon and back this evening.

I would have loved to have seen the car on that day. I bet that it looked amazing. Pity that it doesn't look so great nowadays; its paintwork is so thin in places that I daren't even attempt to polish it any more. I'd love to have it resprayed, but without a lottery win or a crowdfunding exercise it's not going to happen in the foreseeable future. The lack of MAACO and Earl Scheib-type bodywork places in the UK is lamented.

Here's a photo of the car ten years ago, when it still had half decent paint. A couple of days after this photo was taken, I drove it to eastern Germany and back without any issues whatsoever:

730587980_1990VOLVO740ESTATE.jpg.5b0ac6e655df946825111cf4f568a114.jpg

Fun facts about The Volvo: the car was given its pre-delivery inspection on 24th August 1990 at 7 miles, even though it wasn't registered for another week. It had its first service on 5th September 1990 at 500 miles. I suspect it was originally a demo car or management car, as it's fitted with a few quite desirable Volvo accessories and it's evident that it once had a hard-wired carphone.

I hope that it will last long enough to become tax and MOT-exempt, and to get the respray it so deserves.

12 minutes ago, Shep Shepherd said:

Today is the 30th anniversary of The Volvo's first registration. It was supplied by Lex Brooklands in Colindale, north west London, which is still trading, albeit under a different name. I was going to drive the car back there today, but it seemed like an awfully decadent thing to do, given the current circumstances.....

Sometimes you have to put on the style. Just do it.

On the other hand, there's probably nobody left working at Colindale who remembers that particular car.

I cannot work out where or what this has come from. It is where the front of the car would be on the left most space on the drive but I leave all 3 of my cars there at any one time.

None are displaying signs of a leak of any sort and have not left a mark at any other spot on the drive. 

It's too clean for oil, has no smell and hasn't dried in.

Stumped.

IMG_20200901_171732.jpg

Wow. I actually did some tinkering on the Peugeot 407 today. Amazing!

20200901_174412.thumb.jpg.55f042697e67a5f7ab8e842164e6c303.jpg

There was an annoying rattle that emanated from the drivers door area.  I eventually managed to get the drivers door card off. After getting the polystyrene-type door membrane off, the noise appeared to be coming from a screw that was held on the to the inside of the door that supported some sort of window channel. Goodness knows how but unscrewing this screw, shaking the channel a bit then putting the screw back in place seemed to help. The window channel didn't seem to be affected and the drivers window is still happy to go up and down smoothly.

Unfortunately, a couple of the plastic retainers broke as I pulled off the door card. It's why I hate jobs like that. I couldn't honestly be bothered to drive but the annoying noise seems to have dissipated.

I've bought a passenger side check strap as it doesn't have one and 2 new keyfobs as the current ones are falling apart.

49 minutes ago, blackboilersuit said:

Brake fluid? I had a pin hole in a flexi once that left driveway stains like that. No loss of braking performance and the fluid level didn't drop enough to set the low level warning off. 

It seems at an odd position in the drive  as it isn't near where the wheels sit. Due to the Mrs not wanting a car in front of the door, mine are parked as far over as possible and usually sit in the same position. It is actually going into the garage to have some corroded sections of brake lines replaced on Thursday however so if that is the issue it will be picked up.

6 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

I cannot work out where or what this has come from. It is where the front of the car would be on the left most space on the drive but I leave all 3 of my cars there at any one time.

None are displaying signs of a leak of any sort and have not left a mark at any other spot on the drive. 

It's too clean for oil, has no smell and hasn't dried in.

Stumped.

IMG_20200901_171732.jpg

Any of them have aircon? If the compressor shat itself there might be an oil leak and A/C lube is clear(or very pale yellow) and often does not smell.

Back to welding up the lovely* Corsa. This was supposed to be just a bit of bubbling at the back of the sill but of course it always escalates. 

20200902_105348.thumb.jpg.6e3348f7152098fcbcd72cd4575e45ae.jpg20200902_105332.thumb.jpg.1605faca039b9a438ad8cb0d5610bbaa.jpg20200902_105341.thumb.jpg.bc6bad467601786d1b7c22a42998ee2b.jpg

This is the worst bit for me, looking at rusty holes and wondering what to do about them - so you make them bigger

20200902_111125.thumb.jpg.d216d907f4d4b8a22fad885ae00f2078.jpg20200902_111117.thumb.jpg.f2e6a3d0f2d75ba4b070990746e8537d.jpg

Inner and outer sill and inner wheelarch all reconstructed out of a metal shelf

20200902_162032.thumb.jpg.abd0afd519d76b1bcd50fb2e54ee4fc5.jpg20200902_162024.thumb.jpg.42bd315b8ecf8e460a7488ffbcd782ca.jpg20200902_162018.thumb.jpg.644285133e60fb8fa9245b7ecf2d3fd1.jpg

I've got to create the wheelarch and grind back all the welds but it's solid now. Only got to last another year or so before the old geezer will have to give up driving

8 hours ago, barefoot said:

My 75 drips quite impressively, but my man with the spanners tells me that it's just condensation from the AC, it's nothing to worry about and They, (all airconditioned cars) All Do That, Sir.

For sure, but would that stain the drive like that? Not in my experience of AC equipped cars anyway.