Holy thread resurrection!
Not much has happened with Chloe the Clio. I’ve just been using it, doing some quite long trips in it including nearly every weekend to work on the Royale which is at my parents in Southend. In the last month I’ve also been to Wolverhampton and to Oxford in it. Hasn’t missed a beat.
Mindful the MoT was approaching fast, I bought a new back box on eBay as the old one was really rotten and blowing badly. It had a slight blow until I clobbered a nice fresh and large piece of roadkill on my way to work and broke BeEp’s homemade hanger on the centre pipe. I repaired his hanger using a bracket from some old dexion shelving. I then fitted the back box myself one Saturday, not too bad a job and chucked a couple of new mountings on there. Much better, nice and quiet now!
I also had a look at the heater blower, which worked when it felt like it but reaching down past the wiper motor and wiggling the multiplug usually got it going again. I took the wipers off (discovering the splines on one of the arms are all stripped, amazingly it doesn’t slip) and the plastics to gain access. Managed to get the plug off and one of the pins was quite burnt. Cleaned it up the best I could with a small screwdriver, and it seems ok now.
I had some trouble with the engine getting sluggish to start when sitting for a few days. I decided the battery was kaput, bought a new Yuasa battery, re-engineered either DodgyTom or BeEp’s earth terminal bodge so it’s actually tight, and it was great for a few days but now it’s getting sluggish to start in the morning. So must be some kind of current drain, not sure where.
i chucked it in for an MoT today at my usual place and this happened:
That was reassuring but it wasn’t all plain sailing. I was asked to come and have a look at the car on the ramp. The tester showed me the drivers side calliper was binding and had worn one of the pads right down. I guess this is the source of the scraping noise under braking, I had convinced myself was the rear brake shoes until I pulled a drum off to have a look. In my defence, 10 months ago when I last checked them all four pads were fine.
The tester reckoned it was the slider rather than the piston that was sticking, so I’ve ordered a slider kit and a set of pads, will tackle the job later in the week. She said it should have failed but passed it because she knew I’d repair it.
I also had my attention drawn to a very worn steering rack (with plenty of play on the drivers side) and a leaky front shock. The rack is a job I’ll do in the spring - it’s far too cold at the moment.
Ive also just had two new ditchfinders put on the back as the old ones were very old and one of them had a puncture. They go with the two new fronts I had fitted shortly after purchase.
The plan for the near future is a full service including plugs and leads, and obviously the calliper and pads as mentioned. I took the Renault 11 trimz off mostly to clean them which I’ve done and also because it’s so difficult to get the airline on the valve when you’re pumping a tyre up all the time. I actually quite like the utilitarian look without them, being a base RL model it shouldn’t have full trims anyway, it had centre caps originally.
i just took these pictures so you can see it still exists!
To be honest, we all know this is an end of life car and has been for at least the last three years, but I’ve never scrapped a car and don’t intend to start now. So, it will be repaired!