The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

That CX is definitely not right. Didn't sound like a boost leak, so maybe it's just not generating it. Still loved driving it...

Anyway, Invacar is back out for pre-MicroCar Rally prep.

EDh2o0yX4AAjErE.jpg

Think I'm going to remove the unOfficial Pace Car stickers now. They've served their purpose.

going to finally fit some new headlamp trim rings? :mrgreen: (or dare I say some polished hubcaps! well the wheels could do with a clean up at least!)

happy to see TWC out and about regardless tho :)

8 hours ago, Tam said:

Sounds like classic MAF sensor fucked! Disconnect it and see if it improves. Lots of options nowadays. Probably best to look up CJL Tuning on Facebook and get a Mafless tune. Some of these things are running silly horsepower but do seem to implode a bit. Basic tune with a couple of sensible upgrades will cost similar to replacing MAF any way!

I'll give that a bash.  A DIGIMAFAM off eBay is 60 quid so that might be an option if it is the MAF.  Second hand MAFs are available for less, but might turn out to be a complete waste of money.

10 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Vacuum/intake piping etc alright?  

First thing I did on the T5 was replace all the hoses, made a big difference.

Intake piping is all good - much of it is metal, and I've replaced the rubber bits with known good ones off the other Rover.

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

going to finally fit some new headlamp trim rings? :mrgreen: (or dare I say some polished hubcaps! well the wheels could do with a clean up at least!)

happy to see TWC out and about regardless tho :)

I can't get the old rings off, so they're staying. I only have one hub cap. I have removed the lettering though!

24 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

I can't get the old rings off, so they're staying. I only have one hub cap. I have removed the lettering though!

according to the workshop manual you lever a screwdriver in between the lamp unit and the bezel at the bottom of the lamp to release a spring clip that lets you remove the bezel :)

if it makes you feel any better REV also currently only has 1 hub cap fitted (although Luckily I do have spares so ill sling a second one on in time)

Went to view a car yesterday. Slept on it, and it was pretty much the first thing I thought about when I woke up. So I’m buying it- that’s my winter project sorted... 

I shall keep its identity under wraps until collection day. As long as I can find a trailer or A frame for the 8 mile trip home. 

Off to look at another on Thursday... but that’s Mrs_brownnova’s shite purchase... Honest... 

Yes, well. This is the longest I’ve had my daily car off the road since the 2cv had a chassis replacement - and that only took a week because of welding to the bulkhead.  This is actually an improvement of sorts, as I can see a shiny new compressor - although yes, it is in the boot.

23 hours ago, Ghosty said:

It has had paint, there's an appraisal from a Jag indie called KWE in 2005 that observed the roof's been done, also one of the wings has been replaced (but has rotted out around the headlamp again) and one of the rear doors has a very iffy ridge (filler?) just under the coachline. It needs close scrutiny to look bad, though - not nearly as bad in person. 

I really like your Series 3.

All old Jaguars, mine included, are Schrodinger’s Jag: they are simultaneously rotten and not rotten. They are only definitively rotten when you look.

41 minutes ago, Skizzer said:

I really like your Series 3.

All old Jaguars, mine included, are Schrodinger’s Jag: they are simultaneously rotten and not rotten. They are only definitively rotten when you look.

Why I don’t look. My mechanic welder friend rick keeps saying. “ will you stop poking it”.

7 hours ago, dome said:

Top buyage Ghosty. I loved my Series 3.  I've got a couple of bits lying around in the garage from it, door seals and a transmission filter from memory if they're any good to you?

I think it's had both in the recent past, but spares might not go amiss...

Checked over the Astra at work the other night, solid as far as i can see and not as bad as I thought it'd be. Tidy. Was low on oil though so topped up. Got home and when ticking over in the driveway I smell burning oil, odd as I never split any oil. Open bonnet to see I had't put the cap on correctly, letting plenty of oil escape...cock. ?

On 9/2/2019 at 7:44 PM, Ghosty said:

As detailed in the Chumley thread, I've got a series 3 XJ now. Sovereign 4.2 no less.
Wasn't cheap, but it's solid in all the right places, has full service history, refurbed wheels, rebuilt engine and gearbox, lightly breathed on suspension and steering, and it drives like a dream - a previous owner spent an obscene amount on it - however the tyres are date stamped 2002 so might be worth replacing them. It's an absolute dream and I'm over the moon with it.
Cheap to insure as well!

Having seen it in the tin, the pictures really don't do it justice! It's truly a magnificent thing, well bought Max.

2 hours ago, 17-Coffees said:

Checked over the Astra at work the other night, solid as far as i can see and not as bad as I thought it'd be. Tidy. Was low on oil though so topped up. Got home and when ticking over in the driveway I smell burning oil, odd as I never split any oil. Open bonnet to see I had't put the cap on correctly, letting plenty of oil escape...cock. ?

has it rust protected the floor with its oil

Mrs Beard recently decided that she wanted another Honda Accord Tourer having had two of them in the past. She just likes them and is familiar with them etc....  She has been using the Chevrolet Tacuma 2.0 auto for daily duties but wanted another Honda estate. Ebay was perused and I recently 'won' a 2006 Accord Tourer for £410. A diesel with 176,000 miles with no MOT. Failed on not much. Suspension bushes and a headlight not working. Also has an oil leak (advisory) ongoing for the last five years. Picked it up from Derby and drove it the 150 miles home with no issues. Putting it in for repairs and another MOT on Friday. Seems a lovely thing, three owners, leather, all the options ticked and the a/c works. In fact everything seems to work incuding the sunroof. The exhaust manifold is cracked (TADTS apparantly) and will need replacing as it occasionally pongs a bit inside the car when idling but not an MOT item it seems. 

Anyone any experience of the Honda Accord diesel? Never had a diesel Honda before! 

Local garage chain managed to undercut Kwik Fit by about a tyre and a half without prompting, so five brand new Falkens are being fitted. Montego wears a weird size but A-rated (for grip, fuck economy) Falkens rocked in at under 60 quid each supplied and fitted including disposal.

The rear tyres celebrated their 21st birthday last year so thought it maybe best to change them. Next to tidy the sills up when I can be arsed.

20190904_120725.jpg

Checked over the Astra at work the other night, solid as far as i can see and not as bad as I thought it'd be. Tidy. Was low on oil though so topped up. Got home and when ticking over in the driveway I smell burning oil, odd as I never split any oil. Open bonnet to see I had't put the cap on correctly, letting plenty of oil escape...cock. 
What is it you do for a living again, haha!

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

I'm entirely failing to do any of the preparation work I planned for the Invacar before the 140-mile drive to Somerset tomorrow. I have topped up the engine oil, and dealt with the oil leak issue by putting a blanket behind the seat. We were issue with these blankets at the Citroen Centenary event in France, so that should absorb any leakage nicely.

I'm now trying to both re-rubber a BMW 7-Series wiper blade and dismantle a used rear wiper assembly for the CityRover. I'm mostly failing at both. In short, I'm hopeless.

EDnN32hWsAAZOY2.jpg

So since my corolla kinda died and i had the over heating carina e sent to africa and the townace van moved on also, I got this today. 1 months test and over 6 months tax on it. Located a 5 min walk from my house so no collection thread business. 

Its a Mitsubishi Pajero junior JDM and all that jazz. No rust as is generally the way here on old things. 1.1 pez, 4x4 works well. Stereo doesnt and it smells like a pack of dogs smoked a pack of cigs in it but there ya go. Tail gate wont open either and glove box catch is broken. I think literaly every thing else is working which is some going for 23 years and nearly 300000 km. Body work is very clean. 

There are are a couple near me bring broken right now so i hope to pick up what ever i need easily enough.

IMG-20190903-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20190903-WA0006.jpg

This just happened.

DSC_0539a.thumb.JPG.594af0226d9e78711d806888a7f91a5d.JPG

Not a condition that any of my fleet find themselves in very often, but someone at work gave me a 10p a litre off fuel at Tesco voucher which expires on Saturday, and I'm driving to Scotland in a couple of weeks, so thought I might as well take advantage.

Computer reckons I should be able to make it past Inverness without refuelling - I've reset the trip meter so will see how accurate that turns out to be.

DSC_0541a.thumb.JPG.f072ae672bfe239472eb31f55fefa496.JPG

1 hour ago, 00833827 said:

So since my corolla kinda died and i had the over heating carina e sent to africa and the townace van moved on also, I got this today. 1 months test and over 6 months tax on it. Located a 5 min walk from my house so no collection thread business. 

Its a Mitsubishi Pajero junior JDM and all that jazz. No rust as is generally the way here on old things. 1.1 pez, 4x4 works well. Stereo doesnt and it smells like a pack of dogs smoked a pack of cigs in it but there ya go. Tail gate wont open either and glove box catch is broken. I think literaly every thing else is working which is some going for 23 years and nearly 300000 km. Body work is very clean. 

There are are a couple near me bring broken right now so i hope to pick up what ever i need easily enough.

IMG-20190903-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20190903-WA0006.jpg

1100 cc??? (!)