The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Got rid of my LG plasma (freebie in 2016, needed a new power board, only had one working HDMI port but was still a cracking picture - I think the local air cadets are still using it for a flight sim!) almost 3 years ago to the day for an LG OLED (55CX, just over £1k thanks to newer models on the horizon and an ambitious pricematch attempt that Richer Sounds honoured - this was my 'I've saved x amount due to not commuting thanks to lockdown, I'm treating myself' present) and it hasn't disappointed. I'll absolutely be running it until it dies. Can't see anything on the horizon that would ever make me think about upgrading. My only minor gripe is that I need to get a new TV cabinet in order to accommodate my centre speaker as you can't get anything low enough to sit under the screen without obscuring the picture.

Ma keeps complaining the milk is going off cos shit milk from that shop. Hmm. One quick measure of the fridge temperature suggests it may* be related to fridge being set at 12 degrees.

So I turned it up a bit. Next day she's chuntering about the carrots being cold so I may have gone a smidge too far. Bit hard to tell cos she's turned it back down.

Now on day 3 of "this has been ruined because you've frozen it". Oh do fuck off mother dear. Put it all in the fucking bin, I'll take you to monkey spunks and you can restock the bastard with stuff thats guaranteed not to go off at 12 degrees. 

Bonus grump of idiot sister texts Ma, am I putting any bets on the grand national? Maybe I am, but not for her. Get her own account and place her own bets.

Why am I being like that???? Well, could be something to do with if she wins she wants paying out and if she loses she accidentally forgets to pay for the stake.

Ha ha, I left out the other sister thing today as being too fantastical. She's started another miracle diet, I think it's one of those where you have like 800 calories a day in packet soup etc, and starve yourself thin. While giving them £70 a week for food* supplies.

So it's day 3, are we by any chance going near Staniforths? Well no, wasn't planning on it. Why?

Surprise, we are going there, her diet needs a fuck off cream cake. But it's ok, the diet is based on ketones as well as 800 calories, so cakes are in.

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

Nah.

You're just going over to mumsnet and making stuff up based on a cocktail of their latest topics.

There's no way one person's life is so full of drama and sheer fucking stupidity.

And if it was, there's no way that said person wouldn't be a serial killer by now.

23 minutes ago, jakebullet said:

Mrs's block of flats is turning into a crime zone. Attempted robbery today of the sainsburys van. Bit* extreme fighting with the driver for random bags of shopping.

Whereabouts is that?

1 hour ago, Pieman said:

WOMAN = singular.
WOMEN = plural.

Even BBC news reporters cannot get this right in written content any more.  How hard can it be?

That depends on the women! :)

Totally agree though, standards have dropped.

10 hours ago, Pieman said:

WOMAN = singular.
WOMEN = plural.

Even BBC news reporters cannot get this right in written content any more.  How hard can it be?

The BBC are probably slowly diluting gender specific words & hoping we don’t notice, so it fits in with their totally ridiculous attitude to woke. Because as you no doubt know, it will be illegal to assume or suggest any such thing by 2026

I've seen the ugly side of gambling today. It's mecca fucking bingo.

Take this email for free bingo, drink, and burger for you and a friend worth £50. It could be good for a giggle on a boring Sunday afternoon?

WRONG. It's just depressing. The grannies desperately donking their pension away. The queue for the bar where everyone asks for a 4 pint jug of carling and 1 glass, n they look at you like you have done a shit on the carpet when you ask for a cappuccino. Terrible songs* that have the music from popular songs but words extolling the virtues of bingo.

Plus Mrs has broken a tooth n won nowt to pay for it.

26 minutes ago, jakebullet said:

Take this email for free bingo, drink, and burger for you and a friend worth £50. It could be good for a giggle on a boring Sunday afternoon?

WRONG. It's just depressing. The grannies desperately donking their pension away. The queue for the bar where everyone asks for a 4 pint jug of carling and 1 glass, n they look at you like you have done a shit on the carpet when you ask for a cappuccino. Terrible songs* that have the music from popular songs but words extolling the virtues of bingo.

It’s a fuckin joke, virtually EVERY kind of sport is sponsored by gambling companies. They banned tobacco companies, coz it’s bad for health, yeh I get it, but do you know anyone who lost their house, business & maybe everything they own, coz they smoked a few fags? 

1 hour ago, rattlecan said:

It’s a fuckin joke, virtually EVERY kind of sport is sponsored by gambling companies. They banned tobacco companies, coz it’s bad for health, yeh I get it, but do you know anyone who lost their house, business & maybe everything they own, coz they smoked a few fags? 

20 fags a day is at least £5k a year. Goes a long way to keeping a roof over your head.

7 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

20 fags a day is at least £5k a year. Goes a long way to keeping a roof over your head.

Not really the point I was making. Gambling costs literally mortgage’s. You can gamble 100’s,  1000’s or millions in the blink of an eye. Don’t recall anyone smoking a grands worth of fags in a week let alone a few seconds 

6 minutes ago, rattlecan said:

Not really the point I was making. Gambling costs literally mortgage’s. You can gamble 100’s,  1000’s or millions in the blink of an eye. Don’t recall anyone smoking a grands worth of fags in a week let alone a few seconds 

This. 

Some of the guys at work have binned a couple of grand over a weekend and then spent several years suffering for it. 

I’d ban all advertising for online gambling tbh. 

2 hours ago, jakebullet said:

I don't think that's the ugly side of gambling. More like the pathetic, shit side. 

The ugly side would be addiction and destitution 

31 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

I don't think that's the ugly side of gambling. More like the pathetic, shit side. 

The ugly side would be addiction and destitution 

Fairly sure there was plenty of addiction but only at low stakes. They are just constantly trying to get money out of you every minute you're in there. £20 for books, then every second between pages it's put a quid in the slot for the table game. Plus RTP is 50% so you have no hope of getting lucky in the long term.

The way out goes thru slot machines where they're shovelling £20 notes in the slot.

I feel so happy that I've clawed back £3000 profit from mecca by abusing their offers online. They really are the evil empire.

On 09/04/2024 at 09:23, loserone said:

So my grump is people who post 80% of their posts having a dig at people in the grumpy old man thread without a hint of irony.

I didn’t know there was a ‘grumpy old man thread’ I’ve only seen the ‘grumpy thread’ which by its title perhaps precludes me from commenting there 

On 29/03/2024 at 17:26, horriblemercedes said:

Is there a mode of transport that is worse than trains? 

I haven't been on one for years and today is reminding me why

It's the people on trains, not the train itself. Don't ask how I know... I:m in the middle of students going back to school after the weekend 

Son messaged me early Sunday morning.Did I fancy helping him with the rear wheel bearing/ABS sensor on his partners A3?Said I was a bit busy,but suggested he got the parts from Parkers which is open Sundays.Said he'd already ordered them from ECP and was going to pick them up WCPGW?.About lunchtime,get a call.Started job and they'd given him the wrong wheel bearing.Could I go to Parkers and get the right one,as she's taken his car.Turns out there's two sizes of bearing.Long queue,but get there in the end .Asked which size,part in stock,pay,just getting in car and he phones to say they'd given him the wrong discs and pads too!Back in queue again,parts in stock,round to his,bearing fits but ABS ring is missing.Back to Parkers.Chap gets another one out which has ring on it.Thinks someone might have had the ring off and returned part.Parts were less than half ECP price though so not all bad.Wasted a lot of a nice day though.I suppose our motor trade members have this all the time.

I moved a mile or so up the road recently, and I'm amazed at how difficult various organisations find the concept of 'I am moving house and I would like to keep paying you money'. I spent a lunchbreak a few weeks before we moved filling out all the 'I'm moving house' forms on various websites. Results as follows:

Octopus / Bristol Water - moved me out of the house fine. The idea that I might need electricity / gas / water / sewage at the new place apparently didn't occur to them. Still, a 10 minute phone call and a new direct debit set up for each and sorted. 6/10.

Council tax - OK, bonus points for being the only organisation to work out that I still needed to pay them after I moved, they sent me all the paperwork with a new account number for the new address, the amount I was being charged, instructions for how to set up a new direct debit etc. Unfortunately they decided the sensible thing to do would be to send that to my old address, three weeks after I moved and six weeks after I told them I was moving. 'Its the address we have on file for you' - clearly its not is it, you useless bastards. Still, I paid for a mail redirect and sorted using the council tax payment portal that's run by Capita and took me right back to 2004. 5/10.

Virgin Media - the reason I'm posting this here but actually I'm not sure I have the ability to type it out in full without hurling my laptop across the room. No exaggeration, I must have spoken to 20 different people across phone / email / live chat, and I've spent at least a day doing it including one 4.5 hour phone call which ended with the guy going 'I'm really sorry, but I don't really know how to fix it, shall I just cancel your contract?' (I said yes, he didn't). Got to a stage six weeks after we moved where they said they could sort it but they needed to send out new equipment. Now apparently that needs to be signed for in person, they won't leave it with a neighbour or in my bin shed or whatever so I arranged to work from home today. Cue two emails within 15 minutes of each other this morning, one telling me it was being delivered by Yodel and the other by Royal Mail. Neither have a tracking number, neither have turned up. I phoned up (again), apparently the solution is to get an engineer round rather than use a competent courier service. The next available engineer appointment is next week.  FUCKYOU/10. 

7 minutes ago, angle said:

I moved a mile or so up the road recently, and I'm amazed at how difficult various organisations find the concept of 'I am moving house and I would like to keep paying you money'. I spent a lunchbreak a few weeks before we moved filling out all the 'I'm moving house' forms on various websites. Results as follows:

Octopus / Bristol Water - moved me out of the house fine. The idea that I might need electricity / gas / water / sewage at the new place apparently didn't occur to them. Still, a 10 minute phone call and a new direct debit set up for each and sorted. 6/10.

Council tax - OK, bonus points for being the only organisation to work out that I still needed to pay them after I moved, they sent me all the paperwork with a new account number for the new address, the amount I was being charged, instructions for how to set up a new direct debit etc. Unfortunately they decided the sensible thing to do would be to send that to my old address, three weeks after I moved and six weeks after I told them I was moving. 'Its the address we have on file for you' - clearly its not is it, you useless bastards. Still, I paid for a mail redirect and sorted using the council tax payment portal that's run by Capita and took me right back to 2004. 5/10.

Virgin Media - the reason I'm posting this here but actually I'm not sure I have the ability to type it out in full without hurling my laptop across the room. No exaggeration, I must have spoken to 20 different people across phone / email / live chat, and I've spent at least a day doing it including one 4.5 hour phone call which ended with the guy going 'I'm really sorry, but I don't really know how to fix it, shall I just cancel your contract?' (I said yes, he didn't). Got to a stage six weeks after we moved where they said they could sort it but they needed to send out new equipment. Now apparently that needs to be signed for in person, they won't leave it with a neighbour or in my bin shed or whatever so I arranged to work from home today. Cue two emails within 15 minutes of each other this morning, one telling me it was being delivered by Yodel and the other by Royal Mail. Neither have a tracking number, neither have turned up. I phoned up (again), apparently the solution is to get an engineer round rather than use a competent courier service. The next available engineer appointment is next week.  FUCKYOU/10. 

I would quite happily set Mr Branson on fire…

Went to ASDA for some odds and ends.  Don't shop there although it is in easy walking distance, mainly due to the smokers hanging about in the entrance.  Anyway, put my big boy pants on and ran the gauntlet.

Bloody chaos in there, folks wandering about in a daze, focused on their phones.  A scrum for some marked down shit, couldn't get past them or see what it was.

Tills crammed.  Braved the robotill which went OK but I swear is slower than the human operated till.

Not used to this at all as I usually shop in Lidl, of which there are two close by, or Aldi, a choice of three.

Plus a couple of B&Ms & smaller shops.

Always quiet and calm in there, people get on with their shopping with no fuss, don't block the isles and there is rarely a wait at the tills.

Should have gone and got my car, although the trek is almost the same as walking to ASDA.

10 hours ago, myglaren said:

Went to ASDA for some odds and ends.  Don't shop there although it is in easy walking distance, mainly due to the smokers hanging about in the entrance.  Anyway, put my big boy pants on and ran the gauntlet.

Bloody chaos in there, folks wandering about in a daze, focused on their phones.  A scrum for some marked down shit, couldn't get past them or see what it was.

Tills crammed.  Braved the robotill which went OK but I swear is slower than the human operated till.

Not used to this at all as I usually shop in Lidl, of which there are two close by, or Aldi, a choice of three.

Plus a couple of B&Ms & smaller shops.

Always quiet and calm in there, people get on with their shopping with no fuss, don't block the isles and there is rarely a wait at the tills.

Should have gone and got my car, although the trek is almost the same as walking to ASDA.

You don’t get that in M&S or Waitrose 😉
Primark is another ‘shithole’ store, I blatantly refuse to go in. If my missus wants to go in I just stand outside, I can’t stand the place, it just seems to attract scum (as you kind of alluded to in Asda) there are clothes all over the floor, the queues are always huge. No thanks, I’m not that skint that I need some £1 pants

On 14/04/2024 at 17:26, rattlecan said:

I didn’t know there was a ‘grumpy old man thread’ I’ve only seen the ‘grumpy thread’ which by its title perhaps precludes me from commenting there 

Define 'old' young person ? Physical age or state of mind :-)

I'm 61 - I was in Glasgow at the weekend for a wedding and felt rejuvenated after seeing masses of (much younger) people barely able to walk around their own circumference without getting out of breath. And, as for boogie stamina? Meh.

The grump: went to the venue in a pre-booked cab (rather nice Skoda thing). The guy goes all around the houses to get from West to East end of town. 
Eventually, I realise that he's getting directed by a satnav talking to him in his earbud thingy and he's no real idea of where he is at.  He then clinches the deal by turning to me and asking "It's Glasgow Green, isn't it? Whereabouts?"

"How the fuck should I know? Last time I was on Glasgow Green was 1986 and you were a glint in your father's eye" 
I bit that back (my child bride dislikes public swearing) just bared my gritted teeth and pointed at the bridal car - "that way". 

We walked back to the hotel......