The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Selling a house.
Our last house move was 23 years ago. It took just over a month.
Now 23 years later we have also sorts of tech advances etc etc but we've been told it's 3 months minimum..

I mean wtf, why does it now take bloody longer than it did ??!!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ETCHY said:

Selling a house.
Now 23 years later we have also sorts of tech advances etc etc but we've been told it's 3 months minimum..

Probably a security thing. It’s so easy to fake documents etc especially when everything is done online. By making it so slow, the scammers don’t bother and try easier pickings like getting granny to tell them her bank details.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ETCHY said:

Selling a house.

My wife says house sales in Aus take weeks rather than months to sort out. She thinks the relevant section of the British legal and financial professions have a vested interest in drawing out matters over several months. 

I spent some time last night perusing used Nissan Quasquais of the diesel manual flavour and wondering if a cheap one would make a nice car that I could afford to run. 

It might, but then I started researching my hdi's issues and have some pointers to look at, so decided maybe another day. 

The only thing my bloody Facebook is full of this morning is adverts for Nissans! It's the only place I get served ads as the pihole blocks the rest, might turn it off for a laugh and see what comes up in the browser! 

Would a £15/1700 quasquai make a good big an car? Need some space for when I've got the kids and I don't want anything I need to be precious about but it needs to be economical and reliable. Saw some pics of the instrument cluster showing between 45 and 52mpg though which I could take

Feel a bit sick for even thinking of a quasquai but they seem to be ageing well and now their not the motability open legged scum mum vehicle of choice (same with the juke but I think that's be too small) and I don't see thousands of them being driven badly everywhere their not so bad... 

6 minutes ago, warch said:

My wife says house sales in Aus take weeks rather than months to sort out. She thinks the relevant section of the British legal and financial professions have a vested interest in drawing out matters over several months. 

I think she's probably right, I'm surprised the land registry accepts applications that aren't hand written on vellum!

For example, if you use a conveyancer you can prove your identity by showing them your photo id/passport. If you don't, you need your passport, a passport photo, form ID1 and get said form signed by a conveyancer.

18 minutes ago, warch said:

As long as the seller has their documentation sorted as by the law,you can buy a house here in Bulgaria within a day.

Anyone none EU resident now has to own a company, which then buys the property as an asset.

That's assuming you can get a D Visa in the 1st place now though..

On 19/04/2024 at 10:45, warch said:

Unless it's a massive house everyone involved is working on a fixed fee so what's the incentive?

The real reason is the race to the bottom with fees. To make a profit each conveyancer will have hundreds of files. You can only touch so many files in one week so matters sit. Add that to these hellhole conveyancing factories full of people on minimum wage who have no idea what they're doing and you've got yourself a problem.

If you want your house purchase to go quickly and smoothly make sure both you and your seller are paying a proper solicitor hourly rates. You'll be done in a month no bother

• Agree 1

On 19/04/2024 at 10:52, beko1987 said:

I spent some time last night perusing used Nissan Quasquais of the diesel manual flavour and wondering if a cheap one would make a nice car that I could afford to run. 

It might, but then I started researching my hdi's issues and have some pointers to look at, so decided maybe another day. 

The only thing my bloody Facebook is full of this morning is adverts for Nissans! It's the only place I get served ads as the pihole blocks the rest, might turn it off for a laugh and see what comes up in the browser! 

Would a £15/1700 quasquai make a good big an car? Need some space for when I've got the kids and I don't want anything I need to be precious about but it needs to be economical and reliable. Saw some pics of the instrument cluster showing between 45 and 52mpg though which I could take

Feel a bit sick for even thinking of a quasquai but they seem to be ageing well and now their not the motability open legged scum mum vehicle of choice (same with the juke but I think that's be too small) and I don't see thousands of them being driven badly everywhere their not so bad... 

They will make excellent "an cars" however you really need to find one that's been well looked after. 

They get really badly neglected. Early J10 examples which will be in that price bracket, they suffer from rotten rear suspension arms which is a big ticket repair because the entire trailing arm has to be replaced, so watch out for advisories on that. 

DPF issues can crop up with low mileage usage. They don't give much trouble with regular usage but will block up

The 1.5 DCI is probably the most common you'll find and the best one to go for. They can suffer from typical modern diesel woes but that's part and parcel of running any 15 year old "modern" diesel. 

The 2.0 would offer better performance but it's the M9R lump which I've sworn off, they're a bit of a pain when they go wrong. 

They did do a 1.6 DCI but they're unlikely to be in that lower price bracket. 

They will eat through front suspension components, particularly lower arms and track rod ends so maybe budget for a set of those 

Clock springs commonly fail causing a flashing airbag light, a common problem but they're fairly cheap to buy now. 

All in all a fairly decent modern family car but if you buy a bad one it will be a money pit. Don't worry too much about mileage as long as it's got plenty of service history to show it's been looked after

On 19/04/2024 at 10:52, beko1987 said:

I like mine. It's an 09 J10 QQ with the 1.5dci lump. It's a non-DPF setup - DPFs started appearing on some of the later 10 plate facelift examples. I think some of the earliest facelifts are also non DPF though. Mine had the rear arms replaced by a previous owner which is  major box ticked. 

Mine sips diesel and hits 50mpg pretty easily despite its size and shape. 

I bought it as I'd had enough of zero storage in the MR2. I also wanted something half decent on fuel too. I didn't really want or expect to like it but both I and Mrs L both like it way more than we thought we would. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

They will make excellent "an cars" however you really need to find one that's been well looked after. 

They get really badly neglected. Early J10 examples which will be in that price bracket, they suffer from rotten rear suspension arms which is a big ticket repair because the entire trailing arm has to be replaced, so watch out for advisories on that. 

DPF issues can crop up with low mileage usage. They don't give much trouble with regular usage but will block up

The 1.5 DCI is probably the most common you'll find and the best one to go for. They can suffer from typical modern diesel woes but that's part and parcel of running any 15 year old "modern" diesel. 

The 2.0 would offer better performance but it's the M9R lump which I've sworn off, they're a bit of a pain when they go wrong. 

They did do a 1.6 DCI but they're unlikely to be in that lower price bracket. 

They will eat through front suspension components, particularly lower arms and track rod ends so maybe budget for a set of those 

Clock springs commonly fail causing a flashing airbag light, a common problem but they're fairly cheap to buy now. 

All in all a fairly decent modern family car but if you buy a bad one it will be a money pit. Don't worry too much about mileage as long as it's got plenty of service history to show it's been looked after

Good to know, thanks! I've been more drawn towards the higher milage ones anyway, and ones with a few dings and dents! 

There seems to be lots off all engine flavours, I was gravitating towards the 2.0, not sure about auto or manual yet, probably manual. But if the 1.5 isn't bad... It'll get an oil change once a year and probably over serviced for the miles I do like the Xsara 😂 DPF should hopefully be OK as I do a mix of driving. 

But I got a can of brake clean yesterday and am going to take a closer look at the intercooler pipes tomorrow, I don't hate the car, and don't have the money to replace it atm and it's not broken*, but good to look around! 

Shall keep reading about. Did see a nice dark purple one in Tesco earlier and they don't look huge. No longer than the Xsara and I do like a big car to throw the kids in and not give a crap, it needs to be a portable den at the FoD and carry the tent. Being higher up and having modern headlights I might not struggle so much at night too

Once my mates stag do is done I might keep the savings pot going I've had for the last 6 months for that and rename it car

• Like 1

Driving.
The South.
Driving IN the South

Fuuuuuuuck.

How many fuckers just sit in the middle lane FOR FUCKING EVER when there is NOTHING in the inside lane for FUCKING MILES.

Screenshot2024-04-2019_18_30.png.4760490424d119f71974300fc813e07a.png

Screenshot2024-04-2019_18_09.png.3f80ca55faba9240cab1fa4910377aec.png

Screenshot2024-04-2018_14_37.png.7a3c658faea4fede976a9e16ed6686bc.png

Screenshot2024-04-2018_14_13.png.6bf6ee5d8bfe991fdf801eb6c1d9190d.png

Screenshot2024-04-2018_12_26.png.e05312f0aab4b151f551285a8c9c0b91.png

Screenshot2024-04-2018_13_29.png.de7de415b2dfb85d9897c4dd59622275.png

Plus Southern folk - what is the fucking obsession with cameras? EVERYFUCKINGWHERE?  Traffic lights, gantries, country lanes, box junctions, outside some random old ladies house, where a sign saying doing a U turn isnt allowed, to check if you are venturing 1 inch into London in a smelly diesel????? Everywhere had a bloody camera.

Also: Smart motorways - UTTER FUCKING SHITE. 
Not only are they partly built with No work at all going on, but just miles and miles and miles of Average Speed cameras and 50mph zones where they are in operation every fucking gantry has a camera on it and TWICE today I saw people pulling out from the emergency refuge and having to get up to speed on a bloody live lane of the M6 and the M40
And once a car that had not made it to the emergency refuge and was stuck nudging the crash barrier on a live lane of the M6 whilst the signs simply said "obstruction" and dropped the speed to 60 FFS.

And Breathe:

Have a ZX estate....

Screenshot2024-04-2018_26_09.png.31bb3adab2fdd2b641e8d0baac325683.png

And now wankers who wobble because they loaded the Mondeo arse first onto the trailer...
Why would you do that?

GLowmk8XoAAHHJN.jpeg.39e099cd5f5274dc70727ee624b8f4bb.jpeg

And I FUCKING HATE these number plates - almost always without fail found on something black.

437171753_1437637977117972_6277566598043126223_n.jpg.e304a05782cfc7b2993916ddf39c20a3.jpg

Screenshot 2024-04-20 18.13.11.png

53 minutes ago, UltraWomble said:

Driving.
The South.
Driving IN the South

Have you reached the coast yet?.🤣

1 hour ago, UltraWomble said:

Driving.
The South.
Driving IN the South

Fuuuuuuuck.

How many fuckers just sit in the middle lane FOR FUCKING EVER when there is NOTHING in the inside lane for FUCKING MILES.

Screenshot2024-04-2019_18_30.png.4760490424d119f71974300fc813e07a.png

Screenshot2024-04-2019_18_09.png.3f80ca55faba9240cab1fa4910377aec.png

Screenshot2024-04-2018_14_37.png.7a3c658faea4fede976a9e16ed6686bc.png

Screenshot2024-04-2018_14_13.png.6bf6ee5d8bfe991fdf801eb6c1d9190d.png

Screenshot2024-04-2018_12_26.png.e05312f0aab4b151f551285a8c9c0b91.png

Screenshot2024-04-2018_13_29.png.de7de415b2dfb85d9897c4dd59622275.png

Plus Southern folk - what is the fucking obsession with cameras? EVERYFUCKINGWHERE?  Traffic lights, gantries, country lanes, box junctions, outside some random old ladies house, where a sign saying doing a U turn isnt allowed, to check if you are venturing 1 inch into London in a smelly diesel????? Everywhere had a bloody camera.

Also: Smart motorways - UTTER FUCKING SHITE. 
Not only are they partly built with No work at all going on, but just miles and miles and miles of Average Speed cameras and 50mph zones where they are in operation every fucking gantry has a camera on it and TWICE today I saw people pulling out from the emergency refuge and having to get up to speed on a bloody live lane of the M6 and the M40
And once a car that had not made it to the emergency refuge and was stuck nudging the crash barrier on a live lane of the M6 whilst the signs simply said "obstruction" and dropped the speed to 60 FFS.

And Breathe:

Have a ZX estate....

Screenshot2024-04-2018_26_09.png.31bb3adab2fdd2b641e8d0baac325683.png

And now wankers who wobble because they loaded the Mondeo arse first onto the trailer...
Why would you do that?

GLowmk8XoAAHHJN.jpeg.39e099cd5f5274dc70727ee624b8f4bb.jpeg

And I FUCKING HATE these number plates - almost always without fail found on something black.

437171753_1437637977117972_6277566598043126223_n.jpg.e304a05782cfc7b2993916ddf39c20a3.jpg

Screenshot 2024-04-20 18.13.11.png

It's because modern cars are so hard/tiring to drive.

• Like 1

You drove my work commute! (m40 from Wycombe to j6/b4009!) 

Bar the occasional van sat at Stokenchurch on a bridge there's no cameras on that bit 👌

• Like 1

8 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Have you reached the coast yet?.🤣

No, he was raging so hard he had to pull over and let his personal coolant level drop ;-)

Mind you - those number plate are shite (and inside lane is left considerately clear so that us folks in 60mph limited HGV type things can safely* undertake the 57 mph car things in lane 2)

• Like 3

After changing the Transmission Fluid and filter on my wife’s car, in a hurry to get finished yesterday I backed over my plastic drain pan spilling 10ltrs of ATF over the fresh concrete floor in the new unit at my work. One upside is I found that acetone works really well in removing oil stains from concrete 

29 minutes ago, UltraWomble said:

IMG_20240420_182042.jpg.54f1be50093b3220e3c3478f2d1193e2.jpg

How come range meters are hopelessly optimistic? 

Because the designer isn’t the one who has a long walk if they run out.

I've always found VW have the largest reserve amount after it says it's empty, there's often still over a gallon remaining in the tank.

• Like 1

When my C5 said the range was 0 I could still get at least 60 miles out of it.

And filling it up, could get 72L in the 65L tank.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scaryoldcortina said:

I've always found VW have the largest reserve amount after it says it's empty, there's often still over a gallon remaining in the tank.

Possibly so you don’t have starting problems if parked on a slope. There’s enough petrol when signalling empty, to ensure the pick up pipe is covered and the pump won’t pump air (especially imp for diesels).

• Like 3

20 hours ago, UltraWomble said:

Why would you do that?

Because you're from a certain demographic in Ireland who rules don't apply to? That rig must be right on the towing limit, or over.

• Like 1

Cunts next door are attempting to piss off the maximum number of people possible with top quality* parking. After Mrs. Cunt got a nice visit from the 5-0 she stopped parking touching Hazel's car, which was a win for a while.

However, this weekend Hazel has Mr. Cunt's pikey tipper touching her bumper, so she's less than happy. The £30,000 cat S disco 4 is now parked a bit further up, in such a position that the next 2 houses to Hazel struggle to get past the bastard to get off their drives. So that's 3 annoyed on the other side of the street.

But wait, there's more! Pikey tipper is in the street because round the back there's pikey tipper #2 appeared. This is a kicked to fuck example that is SORN, no insurance, and crucially is parked badly so it's going to block access for 7 more houses to get out. Mrs. Cunt isn't capable of driving manual cars, so that's 7 who's going to find getting to work a soupcon difficult in the morning. Assuming he's not going to be driving that one around illegally of course.

Yes, I know I'm just green with envy that I don't own 2 shit pikey tippers and a written off disco 4.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 21/04/2024 at 18:12, scaryoldcortina said:

It's about five litres on the reserve, based on my experience of a MK4 Golf.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Cunts next door are attempting to piss off the maximum number of people possible with top quality* parking. After Mrs. Cunt got a nice visit from the 5-0 she stopped parking touching Hazel's car, which was a win for a while.

However, this weekend Hazel has Mr. Cunt's pikey tipper touching her bumper, so she's less than happy. The £30,000 cat S disco 4 is now parked a bit further up, in such a position that the next 2 houses to Hazel struggle to get past the bastard to get off their drives. So that's 3 annoyed on the other side of the street.

But wait, there's more! Pikey tipper is in the street because round the back there's pikey tipper #2 appeared. This is a kicked to fuck example that is SORN, no insurance, and crucially is parked badly so it's going to block access for 7 more houses to get out. Mrs. Cunt isn't capable of driving manual cars, so that's 7 who's going to find getting to work a soupcon difficult in the morning. Assuming he's not going to be driving that one around illegally of course.

Yes, I know I'm just green with envy that I don't own 2 shit pikey tippers and a written off disco 4.

I'm sure the insurance must cost more than buying the Disco 4,Shirley?

15 hours ago, scaryoldcortina said:

On my T6 I needed to drop the fuel tank to fit a dip tube for a diesel heater, so I ran it til it said "range 0 miles" and then did 17 more miles, driving fine.

Drove the front wheels onto some ramps, turned the engine off and realised I wanted to reposition it a bit and the bastard wouldn't start again!

When I dropped the tank there was no more than a litre left in, I was amazed the van even ran. Van does 25mpg so I would say that 0 miles means there's a gallon left in the tank.