The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

The sister in law's Previa with the rotten fuel filler neck (arch liner retaining all the road crud) is fixed.

IMG20240104135732.thumb.jpg.2b58763b83b8600d162c9cea6cce5597.jpg

IMG20240106120844.thumb.jpg.4f476f70d489e6b7df1b3cbc760474fa.jpg

IMG20240107134016.thumb.jpg.15f6fb8933ef6bf5ecf7e1cf76e0e44b.jpg

A shout out to V6 autoparts off of that there eBay who delivered a perfectly fitting pattern replacement part in under 24 hours via DHL for a quite reasonable £89.

Zinc anode painted followed by much Gravitex stone chip then topped off with lashings of waxoyl should see it outlast the car.

On 05/01/2024 at 20:36, Asimo said:

Vertigo is a bit weird. Quite different to the entirely reasonable fear of falling to a splattery end. It is as if the software in your head has a blue-screen spasm. One of the worst episodes I have had was at ground level, stood next to a massive wind turbine mast. I literally could not tell which way up I was and had to crawl away.

I’ve done a lot of hill walking in my time and been along plenty of paths with drops of hundreds of feet beside them, and have no problems at all. 
However, 10 ft up a ladder is another matter.

Been busy getting the motorbike out of its cocoon.

IMG_20231201_153137294.thumb.jpg.4e37bd9e0c540c6cad93a6a91feb72c7.jpg

IMG_20231128_191443400.thumb.jpg.ba29296ea24ad6512f471bf0f9c684f2.jpg

IMG_20231128_180737989.thumb.jpg.6067247c7aac0a4f4de51b6f71115f2b.jpg

We had the house, garage and shed rewired so wanted the bike safe from damage and theft whilst we moved out for the duration.

I've also been building the industrial racking I bought 2.5 years ago.

Will be a garage loft:

IMG_20240106_164211703.thumb.jpg.4879f7acbd47c35bf3eec1e98062e3e2.jpg

Will be a workbench and mahoousive storage at the far end:

IMG_20240106_164224050.thumb.jpg.3e024ebec4f78200869e70ee669975a4.jpg

I can lift the 1.5t rated beams and slot them in solo but not the 3t ones (ones on the floor in pic 4). Oh, one of the the blue frames fell onto my back! No damage done.

Each racking unit is 2.2m H (cut down from 4.5m) x 3m W x 900mm D. Although I'd measured and measured I was mightily relieved when they fitted in the garage.

Best off there will still be room to get a car in if it needs working on.

still putting off changing the egr valve on the galaxy as its freezing cold and rain and my only day off, i had an idea lets unplug the the maf, couldnt tell if was still egr faulty as it was bloody slow driving the missus up to go shopping for stuff she really dont need..lol

14 minutes ago, egg said:

That's sad, but I guess moving it just outside the M25 to Westerham, Sevenoaks or the Darenth valley villages would be an acceptable change and could just about keep the name...

I suspect they will do something like that for next year, although I wonder what percentage of exhibitors live in the area and will no longer have a modern classic to bring (I'd say non ULEZ cars made up at least 40 percent of the show last year, probably more)

I didn't get the front suspension on the Z4 sorted this weekend as I'd hoped - I now have all the bits I need, but it was just too bastarding cold to be crawling around on the floor undoing reluctant suspension bolts.

I did finally get around to fitting the Android stereo I bought a couple of years ago for the Maxus, with an Amazon voucher I got from work.

20240107_132403.thumb.jpg.0575dd8d1b340ebe53c54283c12c4aaf.jpg

In an ideal world it needs  a surround fitting to neaten it up a bit, but it's a scruffy old van so it's unlikely I'll bother.  It all works fine though, and the picture from the reversing camera is a lot easier to see on this than on the piddly 4.1" screen on the old stereo.  (The Gorilla tape isn't holding it in, it's covering up the metal mounting brackets which are rather ugly.)

9 hours ago, Sunny Jim said:

Finally a nice sunny day here so I had a run out in the C15.

IMG_20240107_131140.thumb.jpg.be456fe49befabd49673ea8cca6a2869.jpg

Got home to find this outside my house.

IMG_20240107_135441.thumb.jpg.51909dff790c547d220703dfdbee91a1.jpg

Nobody hurt fortunately, the neighbours' flue liner had failed and filled the upstairs of their house with smoke. Good practice for the driver getting something that size down a narrow twisty lane.

IMG_20240107_135716.thumb.jpg.b386be1688dc1ba216af25142ada7c15.jpg

Bloody hell - having driven up the lane to your house I can only say "rather them than me"!

7 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I didn't get the front suspension on the Z4 sorted this weekend as I'd hoped - I now have all the bits I need, but it was just too bastarding cold to be crawling around on the floor undoing reluctant suspension bolts.

I did finally get around to fitting the Android stereo I bought a couple of years ago for the Maxus, with an Amazon voucher I got from work.

20240107_132403.thumb.jpg.0575dd8d1b340ebe53c54283c12c4aaf.jpg

In an ideal world it needs  a surround fitting to neaten it up a bit, but it's a scruffy old van so it's unlikely I'll bother.  It all works fine though, and the picture from the reversing camera is a lot easier to see on this than on the piddly 4.1" screen on the old stereo.  (The Gorilla tape isn't holding it in, it's covering up the metal mounting brackets which are rather ugly.)

The decadence on show, aircon in a Maxus!

After the success of the N/S  Laguna wishbone replacement I got cracking with the O/S.

its always nice to see an obvious failure point when replacing a part. Oddly the front bush had failed on this side, on the other it was the rear bush that had split. 

I managed to break my 1/2 to 3/8 adaptor but I should be able to get a replacement FOC from Halfrauds. 

IMG_4568.jpeg

IMG_4569.jpeg

IMG_4571.jpeg

IMG_4572.jpeg

1 hour ago, Lankytim said:

break my 1/2 to 3/8 adaptor but I should be able to get a replacement FOC from Halfrauds

That's a good idea, they're consumables really. I don't know if an impact one would be stronger in max torque but it would probably break more suddenly and send your knuckles into something hard and sharp

On 06/01/2024 at 18:44, Jenson Velcro said:

Caught sight of @groovylee tackling the hills on this years Exeter Trial.

A480E45C-67C7-49AE-9BF4-3F9B5B8A8F95.jpeg

Amazing! Thanks for the great pic!I was so gutted with that hill, we were celebrating getting up the main slope at the start, and sort of didn't realise there was more to come 😅

The rest of the trial went well, right up until Simms where we snapped a halfshaft and destroyed the diff. A *quick change of both and we went on to finish 💪IMG-20240107-WA0014.thumb.jpg.81fca1c2f285b7fa58f2eb194d3d6c32.jpg

1 hour ago, groovylee said:

Amazing! Thanks for the great pic!I was so gutted with that hill, we were celebrating getting up the main slope at the start, and sort of didn't realise there was more to come 😅

The rest of the trial went well, right up until Simms where we snapped a halfshaft and destroyed the diff. A *quick change of both and we went on to finish 💪IMG-20240107-WA0014.thumb.jpg.81fca1c2f285b7fa58f2eb194d3d6c32.jpg

A good effort changing the diff and half shaft. Are you claiming a medal?

it was an interesting one where you spun to a halt. You seemed to have too much wheelspin, and may have been better off easing up to get some grip as it was pretty slippery there. Easy to say though as it all happens so quickly and the brain can be a bit fogged, having driven through the night. At least it was a dry run, although with a fixed roof over your head, and I presume a heater, you’re going to be much better placed than many if it was raining.

15 minutes ago, Jenson Velcro said:

A good effort changing the diff and half shaft. Are you claiming a medal?

it was an interesting one where you spun to a halt. You seemed to have too much wheelspin, and may have been better off easing up to get some grip as it was pretty slippery there. Easy to say though as it all happens so quickly and the brain can be a bit fogged, having driven through the night. At least it was a dry run, although with a fixed roof over your head, and I presume a heater, you’re going to be much better placed than many if it was raining.

no medals unfortunately. yeah, on the wheelspin front, i rounded the corner and said "oh poo" or words to that effect, and instinctively donned my lead wellies. I gather a certain Mr Pearson in the red Dellow(?) pretty much trickled up. damn good driver he is :-) 

1 minute ago, groovylee said:

no medals unfortunately. yeah, on the wheelspin front, i rounded the corner and said "oh poo" or words to that effect, and instinctively donned my lead wellies. I gather a certain Mr Pearson in the red Dellow(?) pretty much trickled up. damn good driver he is :-) 

Yes it’s always interesting watching lots of different cars at the same spot and seeing the different approaches of the drivers. Trickle or burn? That’s the question.

20 minutes ago, Bren said:

Hattons models is closing. After 77 years.

Had a shop on Smithdown Rd before moving to Widnes.

Given the eye watering prices for locos and rolling stock I am not shocked.

Hattons were always cheap for new diecast and consistently undercut everyone else so their profit margin on them must have been razor-thin. Their second-hand stuff on the other hand was often overpriced (£35 for a badly-repainted Northcord bus with some bits missing anyone?) and sometimes the same price as new. It's like they were two separate businesses who didn't talk to each other. Still a shame to see them go - if one of the biggest and most-established names can't survive it doesn't bode well for smaller model shops.

As many have probably read, I am experiencing extreme cold. The temperature rose to minus 20 this afternoon, so it was time to start the car and help dad with the van that won't start.

The Hyundai has been unused for 3 weeks in temperatures below minus 10 where several days have been minus 30 and below. So not ideal but it started surprisingly immediately, but the smell of burnt belt came quickly and it turned out that the pulley for the belt tensioner was stuck and the pulley for the water pump was not moving freely. After heating these with a hair dryer they spun freely again, so the only explanation is that they was frozen, something I have not experienced before. And the coolant was fine.

Then there was dad's Peugeot van, the engine wouldn't turn over and several hours of charging the battery didn't help. So I tried my stronger charger on both the boost function and charging and that got it to start. Which was great. I've experienced similar things before, but I can't explain it, but there's something about newer cars needing a strong charge and high voltage to start.

And if everything goes according to plan, I'll take the Hyundai for a good drive tomorrow to charge the battery and get it warmed up. 

There's always something, isn't it?

11 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I've experienced similar things before, but I can't explain it, but there's something about newer cars needing a strong charge and high voltage to start.

High resistance in the battery due to the cold?

I was bad at Physics at school but I remember learning about how temperature affects resistance in electrical circuits