The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

33 minutes ago, Tenmil Socket said:

Didn't suffer when I was younger but is getting worse as I get older... self preservation perhaps?

Think this is fairly common. I work with a lot of tradesmen who say the same about ladder work as they get older.

27 minutes ago, Tenmil Socket said:

Didn't suffer when I was younger but is getting worse as I get older... self preservation perhaps?

Ditto - as a teenager used to be scampering up and down the cliffs back home with never a thought of consequences. 
Now I am a bit like yourself - I'd only cross that aqueduct if it was life and death.
There's a bit of self-preservation in there, maybe some maturity too but neither explain the fact that if I'm on a secure ladder about six feet off the ground (where feck all is going to happen) then I'm absolutely bricking it

3 minutes ago, DeanH said:

Think this is fairly common. I work with a lot of tradesmen who say the same about ladder work as they get older.

My brother in law (just a lad - 59 years old) is a proper lead and slate roofer, done some big jobs in his time - he's very happy now doing ground based jobs.

2 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Ditto - as a teenager used to be scampering up and down the cliffs back home with never a thought of consequences. 
Now I am a bit like yourself - I'd only cross that aqueduct if it was life and death.
There's a bit of self-preservation in there, maybe some maturity too but neither explain the fact that if I'm on a secure ladder about six feet off the ground (where feck all is going to happen) then I'm absolutely bricking it

My brother in law (just a lad - 59 years old) is a proper lead and slate roofer, done some big jobs in his time - he's very happy now doing ground based jobs.

When I was younger I always wanted to go up in a hot air balloon... even the sight of one now makes me shudder 😬

2 hours ago, Tenmil Socket said:

I never said it was going to fall down... if you're not scared of heights you wouldn't understand.

I was casually watching one of those 'rail rider', out in the boonies/High Sierra's US, Utoobs....

For all it wasn't a 3D enhanced/*Huge Jackman showcase movie 🙄 >>>

..... as the GoPro - on a pole - headed out over the wooden trestle bridge.... I felt proper sick 🤢

🚙💨

thought some of the forum Citroen lickers and XM fans might be interested in supporting this.  Paul is a top guy ,well known in Citroen circles and a one man fountain of knowledge/help/spare parts for XMs. His friends are trying to help him get his beloved V6 XM finished as his health is sadly deteriorating 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/finish-restoring-pauls-citroen-xm?utm_campaign=p_lico+share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=customer

Busy old day today. 

Took Rodney to hydrotherapy then shot back ready to be on standby for train station taxi pick up for the Qashqai sale, just as I was about to leave, mother JJ rocked up delivering a box of sausage rolls but had hit a pothole in the floods and done both the passenger side tyres on her proper shite Corsa C that she’s owned for absolute donkeys years.

Quickly chucked it on my driveway, took her home, train station and back, Qashqai off to its new owner, whipped the Corsa wheels off and shot over to the nearest tyre place in town which happens to be a little independent place who are always massively helpful. 

Pair of “Frun-one” tyres at £50 a pop on, back home, wheels back on, car shuffle around now the driveway is back to normal with the Qashai gone. 

Just need to run the Corsa back to Mother JJ later and I can relax. 

IMG_2853.jpeg

IMG_2854.jpeg

6 hours ago, New POD said:

My bad. You are right, I don't. Doesn't mean it isn't a thing though. 

I've experienced someone having a panic attack on top of Crib Goch. I think it was a one off because he went on to join the RAF and goes out rock climbing regularly. 

For some people it's the fear that they will succumb to a momentary impulse and jump off. I didn't like being in the little courtyard near the top of Mont Saint Michel. I realised with my reasoning mind that I wasn't going to go over the parapet, but coming face to face with the realisation that you can be extinguished instantaneously can be upsetting.

8 hours ago, Tenmil Socket said:

I had to stop there a few years back to compose myself after a sudden panic attack!

That was the first day of a holiday there. On the last day we stopped at the aqueduct and just 2 steps in I bottled it and immediately turned back 😆

I honestly don't know how people can do it.

image.png.adffcf1428937c23ad3af0aac632c3d8.png

It is stunning. They’ve closed it currently for draining apparently. Because it’s not too far away we go there a couple of times a year. But my wife who is scared of heights took some convincing to over! 

6 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Beautiful Acqueduct but fuck going over it on a boat. I can dul understand the fears, I'd be a wreck 😂

Having been over both on foot and by boat I can confirm boat is worse as the edge is much more apparent! I was stood on the back of a canal boat with my daughter. I loved doing it though, and will definitely do it again! 

At the NEC Classic show in November, I got a fair load of brochures, but one of my favourites was for the Fiesta based Mazda 121. I originally found a brochure for the sad face Fiesta, but then @rantingYoof found one for the 121...so just HAD to get it! 😄

My copy is from 1996, so when browsing ebay I came across a later copy, which had the 1998 logo! Curious I just had to get it, and the bonus is it came with a 1997 copy as well! (Exactly the same as the 1996), so here is the 1997 and 1998 copy side by side...

20240105_174644.thumb.jpg.095f1de7caca4b8f86bc6f61406c0fa0.jpg

A bit more modern looking the cover, sporting the white-blue colours of the era, and of course the new badge.

So what's the first page like? 

20240105_174711.thumb.jpg.ba79166329db7084dddaf1d9b2257e95.jpg

Ah....nice 'new' photos(shop) we can see! 🤣 Oh, and font change and the adding of "Mazda" at the bottom right. 

I honestly don't know what I was expecting. 

I wonder if the fear of heights develops with having kids.

Nothing gives me the willies like seeing my kids near a drop.  In France last week we walked along a cliff side with 100' drop just next to the path, and I had to trust the 7 and 5 year olds to concentrate as we had two 2 year olds with us.  They were good, but when one seems to have ADHD and limited impulse control it felt a bit* risky

9 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Beautiful Acqueduct but fuck going over it on a boat. I can dul understand the fears, I'd be a wreck 😂

Before Covid I was speaking to Timmy mallet at an art exhibit of his at the local bike shop. He had just been to Wrexham and ponysyyttllle aqueduct to paint. I said I’d never been across despite being from there. I do suffer from a fear of drops not heights - it’s weird, and almost like you’re about to fall off the perfectly flat and stable surface. I can stand on top of a mountain with no problem. But a fire escape can make me hold on to the rails for dear life. Odd.

Vertigo is a bit weird. Quite different to the entirely reasonable fear of falling to a splattery end. It is as if the software in your head has a blue-screen spasm. One of the worst episodes I have had was at ground level, stood next to a massive wind turbine mast. I literally could not tell which way up I was and had to crawl away.

So far in my week off, I've tided my garage - hoover and clear up but not a proper tidy as my wife says.

Probably a game of spot the difference.

image.thumb.jpeg.f1ef63d57645925f989a228d7e12d95f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f0729aec22a70e00864ec6e053fc91ae.jpeg

Found the diesel heater exhaust had broken through, so replaced that

image.thumb.jpeg.1dff5efaff14608f799fca102cc26351.jpeg

Extension lead plug was getting very hot. Pulled the plug apart to find the fuse contacts all dirty. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f4d44ad9cd541d4b37f359bfa3aa2f77.jpeg

Pulled apart my Milwaukee die grinder to try fixing the trigger. I love this tool but it was expensive and this trigger is a complete design flaw. Its variable but it gums up with crap. I did my best but the switch doesn't come apart. It now works at full speed at least.

image.thumb.jpeg.019f7e45b048d72bc3a83e1c9689f9c0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.50bfaf537d7754900fdbf352e759440f.jpeg

Started up and turned around the TT to put it on charge and pump up the tyres. I haven't used this in a month. MOT is up at the end of next month, so I'll probably get a fresh ticket and will sell it end of this month to be honest.

I've had my fun and I think I'm ready to move on.

image.thumb.jpeg.f56f676e26727a661607e6535b312cd8.jpeg

It started, but only just!

Finally did some work on the Midget, which I'll update my Midget thread in due course...

Replaced the NS wishbone on the ‘gooner today. I’d been putting it off as the bolts are super tight and I didn’t want to end up with an immobile car for a week with the job half done or something. With a 2ft scaffold tube the bolts were eventually cracked off and the wishbone replaced.

The rear bush looked pretty knackered so replacement was overdue!  

IMG_4547.jpeg

IMG_4548.jpeg

The auction find Fiesta is still going strong…

…..I decided to treat the old girl to some instant 10,000bhp modifications.

IMG_0618.thumb.jpeg.9af8cfefc5a6b4e60f3c110a444a8088.jpeg

IMG_0619.thumb.jpeg.1ea77a1c706bfe5056836d208cf1ea89.jpeg

Yes, it is a shitbox and it identifies as a Manchester Bee.

I had a small issue with the EML coming on after some heavy downpours. Apparently there’s an issue with the engine wiring loom chafing the block and the most vulnerable point is the wiring loom for the crank sensor. Water got into it, killed the rev counter and popped the light on. A quick five minute session with the OBD Scanner (that I found in a scrap car at the scrapyard) cleared the code and it’s never came back. The rev counter did die briefly then came back and all is well. I’m now typing this and realised I forgot to get a section of crank sensor wiring from a car at the yard this morning.

Oh and this happened yesterday.

IMG_0689.thumb.jpeg.ff488ac65c9141b173efed6c4863fe62.jpeg

Welcome to the 100k Club! Badge of honour duly awarded. Well done little car.

15 hours ago, greengartside said:

I had a small issue with the EML coming on after some heavy downpours. Apparently there’s an issue with the engine wiring loom chafing the block and the most vulnerable point is the wiring loom for the crank sensor.

I think my Fusion went into limp mode a couple of times for a similar kind of reason from memory. Anyway, ECU is a weakness.

Finally a nice sunny day here so I had a run out in the C15.

IMG_20240107_131140.thumb.jpg.be456fe49befabd49673ea8cca6a2869.jpg

Got home to find this outside my house.

IMG_20240107_135441.thumb.jpg.51909dff790c547d220703dfdbee91a1.jpg

Nobody hurt fortunately, the neighbours' flue liner had failed and filled the upstairs of their house with smoke. Good practice for the driver getting something that size down a narrow twisty lane.

IMG_20240107_135716.thumb.jpg.b386be1688dc1ba216af25142ada7c15.jpg