The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

34 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

Potholes - and they wonder why people buy 4x4's with decent suspension.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-67957584

"The AA said it dealt with 631,852 pothole-related incidents related to tyres, wheels, steering, and suspension last year - another five-year high according to the organisation". Sounds a very high number of 'incidents'.

Apparently robots and making the roads out of plastic is the answer. 

Must be a slow newsday - and another free advert for the AA.

Part of the reason I plod along with the Xsara despite being bored of it is it's lovely 15" steels, £30 tyres and cheap suspension components! 👌

I'm sure I've knocked my tracking back out since having it done in September 😡

Drove over to the in-laws today and gave the FOX a very quick going over with a bucket and sponge. It hasn’t been washed in a couple of years and was pretty green. First of all I swapped the battery for a fully charged one. What’s with this stupid plastic cage on top of the battery? I couldn’t figure how to remove it and it ended up breaking. No doubt a YouTube video would demonstrate how easy it is to remove in 10 seconds or something. The engine bay itself looks like it belongs to a car that’s been parked up for decades, lots of ally corrosion and cobwebs.

With a fresh battery the FOX started first time. Everything seems to work, electric power steering, brakes, windows etc and nothing is seized. Cleaning it showed it to be in pretty good shape with a few small thumbnail dents on one rear quarter and the the odd scratch. Very good for its age. Interior looks very good with nothing broken or badly worn. The paint is a weird pewter grey colour that used to be popular a while back, a good polish should bring it up very well. I think it might’ve had one of those ceramic treatments dealers used to offer as there doesn’t seem to be any oxidisation. 

One tyre is badly perished (Michelin obv) but the spare has a new tyre fitted so will get swapped over. 

Despite being very smoll the Fox is pretty tall and my 6ft1 frame fits behind the wheel with no issue. The rear seats are pretty comfy too although it’s strictly a 4 seater rather than 5. 

It deffo seems too good to crush. Should I give the Laguna a break for a few months  and experience some South American minimalist motoring?  

IMG_4634.jpeg

IMG_4635.jpeg

IMG_4637.jpeg

IMG_4636.jpeg

IMG_4638.jpeg

IMG_4639.jpeg

22 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

old rotten giffer-made workbench out of the garage

We had one of these when we got keys to current house. 

Estate agent asked if we wanted a 'workbench' in the garage, so I said yes please, expecting, well, a workbench.

What I discovered was not a workbench, it was a hot mess of 2x4, ply, no more nails, screws and some distinctly non-compliant electrics as the icing on the cake. 

The guy was an absolute bodger, he'd wired up the (metal) shed with a fluorescent tube supported by cable ties. 

We're still discovering little surprises he's left for us around the house. Twat. 

52 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

With a fresh battery the FOX started first time. Everything seems to work, electric power steering, brakes, windows etc and nothing is seized. IMG_4634.jpeg

I liked these when they came out. The muttering rotters were a bit dismissive about its 10/10ths handling, completely missing the point as usual. 

What appealed to me was the low-tech robust design suited to Brazilian roads, ie long travel suspension and good ground clearance - something the average Brit still doesn't understand when they moan about buckled alloys on their new Audi with 21" rims. 

RoverFolkUs has said that a few of the 1.2s have escaped from valve trouble, maybe by being ACTUALLY SERVICED as opposed to the usual shopping car neglect. 

The one thing I didn't like was the spec seemed to be quite basic unless you forked out for 'Urban' or the like which pushed the price into Polo territory anyway. 

Probably brilliant as a WBOD as I bet that little engine warms up quickly. 

11 minutes ago, grogee said:

We had one of these when we got keys to current house. 

Estate agent asked if we wanted a 'workbench' in the garage, so I said yes please, expecting, well, a workbench.

What I discovered was not a workbench, it was a hot mess of 2x4, ply, no more nails, screws and some distinctly non-compliant electrics as the icing on the cake. 

The guy was an absolute bodger, he'd wired up the (metal) shed with a fluorescent tube supported by cable ties. 

We're still discovering little surprises he's left for us around the house. Twat. 

The garage wiring is definitely non-compliant, so I’m not running anything over 1kW power in there. Mainly lights and occasional power drill.

4 minutes ago, grogee said:

I liked these when they came out. The muttering rotters were a bit dismissive about its 10/10ths handling, completely missing the point as usual. 

What appealed to me was the low-tech robust design suited to Brazilian roads, ie long travel suspension and good ground clearance - something the average Brit still doesn't understand when they moan about buckled alloys on their new Audi with 21" rims. 

RoverFolkUs has said that a few of the 1.2s have escaped from valve trouble, maybe by being ACTUALLY SERVICED as opposed to the usual shopping car neglect. 

The one thing I didn't like was the spec seemed to be quite basic unless you forked out for 'Urban' or the like which pushed the price into Polo territory anyway. 

I did notice the high ground clearance, it’s quite utilitarian. On the V5c it’s listed as an URBAN FOX 55, I’m guessing that’s why it’s got electric  front windows. 

Googling these 1200 3cyl engines gives mixed reviews. Many have had timing chain problems. I guess it’s the nature of the market segment that these cars get neglected and impending issues get ignored until it’s too late. 

Today has been busy. I did a half day this morning due to lack of supervisors. 04:00 - 09:00. Then did 800m in the swimming pool.

At the weekend @Scrap’s Saab 9-3 (ex @CaptainBoom) managed to hoover up some water in the air intake, thankfully no damage caused and a new air filter sorted out the rough running. Old one was drenched. I also showed Scrap how to do an oil change. Couldn’t be bothered to get all the undershields off, so I popped my vac-pump cherry.

IMG_4108.thumb.jpeg.e5c50fd0b8a7bcd7bccb1ff72a805983.jpeg

IMG_4109.thumb.jpeg.0f48ac3f36c5019cdd4f8c2c0e743925.jpeg

Glorious* carpet. The Saab now sounds a lot better with clean liquid dinosaurs running around its internals, and it’s a lot easier to get to the filter than the poxy Fiat lump in mine.

After this I cleared out the remaining old shite in the garage that is either destined for the shed or tip, assembled to table saw I won on eBay for £30, and parked the Citroën under cover.

IMG_4112.thumb.jpeg.825469305eec4505fa48e1ec61bb95f1.jpeg

Still some shed stuff in the garage, but once I put some hangers and hooks in the shed I can clear the deck. Yes, the wiring is terrible, but it’s one of my next projects.

Yes, I have installed a garage door opener. Does this make me a tosser?

2 hours ago, Lankytim said:

Drove over to the in-laws today and gave the FOX a very quick going over with a bucket and sponge. It hasn’t been washed in a couple of years and was pretty green. First of all I swapped the battery for a fully charged one. What’s with this stupid plastic cage on top of the battery? I couldn’t figure how to remove it and it ended up breaking. No doubt a YouTube video would demonstrate how easy it is to remove in 10 seconds or something. The engine bay itself looks like it belongs to a car that’s been parked up for decades, lots of ally corrosion and cobwebs.

With a fresh battery the FOX started first time. Everything seems to work, electric power steering, brakes, windows etc and nothing is seized. Cleaning it showed it to be in pretty good shape with a few small thumbnail dents on one rear quarter and the the odd scratch. Very good for its age. Interior looks very good with nothing broken or badly worn. The paint is a weird pewter grey colour that used to be popular a while back, a good polish should bring it up very well. I think it might’ve had one of those ceramic treatments dealers used to offer as there doesn’t seem to be any oxidisation. 

One tyre is badly perished (Michelin obv) but the spare has a new tyre fitted so will get swapped over. 

Despite being very smoll the Fox is pretty tall and my 6ft1 frame fits behind the wheel with no issue. The rear seats are pretty comfy too although it’s strictly a 4 seater rather than 5. 

It deffo seems too good to crush. Should I give the Laguna a break for a few months  and experience some South American minimalist motoring?  

IMG_4634.jpeg

IMG_4635.jpeg

IMG_4637.jpeg

IMG_4636.jpeg

IMG_4638.jpeg

IMG_4639.jpeg

Nice find. As regards the battery cage, that's typical VAG. Everything made of pointless and intricate plastic mouldings that have no obvious way of dismantling without the full factory workshop manual. But it looks so neat!

1 hour ago, grogee said:

I had one of these as a courtesy car for a week and it was fine. As you say, a bit basic but not the worst thing I've ever driven. 

Local garage lads seem to keep finding these unmolested crackers as side projects...... the bastards 😁

Was garaged 2014 by giffer owner apparently 

IMG_20240115_142505.thumb.jpg.b04d0b2e70378698800dcf5153c036cf.jpg

Has a couple of garage storage dents and dings..... 

IMG_20240115_142447.thumb.jpg.04b102e9fce44b37a936508074bdbb27.jpg

IMG_20240115_142455.thumb.jpg.064dc043a4ce8a7ff4175fbe89f26a47.jpg

But looks to be a corker - obviously I put in a hopeful 'is it available' query but I'm not holding my breath. 

1 hour ago, Back_For_More said:

Local garage lads seem to keep finding these unmolested crackers as side projects...... the bastards 😁

Was garaged 2014 by giffer owner apparently 

IMG_20240115_142505.thumb.jpg.b04d0b2e70378698800dcf5153c036cf.jpg

Has a couple of garage storage dents and dings..... 

IMG_20240115_142447.thumb.jpg.04b102e9fce44b37a936508074bdbb27.jpg

IMG_20240115_142455.thumb.jpg.064dc043a4ce8a7ff4175fbe89f26a47.jpg

But looks to be a corker - obviously I put in a hopeful 'is it available' query but I'm not holding my breath. 

That looks a real peach. Hopefully they get back to you

21 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

Today has been busy. I did a half day this morning due to lack of supervisors. 04:00 - 09:00. Then did 800m in the swimming pool.

At the weekend @Scrap’s Saab 9-3 (ex @CaptainBoom) managed to hoover up some water in the air intake, thankfully no damage caused and a new air filter sorted out the rough running. Old one was drenched. I also showed Scrap how to do an oil change. Couldn’t be bothered to get all the undershields off, so I popped my vac-pump cherry.

IMG_4108.thumb.jpeg.e5c50fd0b8a7bcd7bccb1ff72a805983.jpeg

IMG_4109.thumb.jpeg.0f48ac3f36c5019cdd4f8c2c0e743925.jpeg

Glorious* carpet. The Saab now sounds a lot better with clean liquid dinosaurs running around its internals, and it’s a lot easier to get to the filter than the poxy Fiat lump in mine.

After this I cleared out the remaining old shite in the garage that is either destined for the shed or tip, assembled to table saw I won on eBay for £30, and parked the Citroën under cover.

IMG_4112.thumb.jpeg.825469305eec4505fa48e1ec61bb95f1.jpeg

Still some shed stuff in the garage, but once I put some hangers and hooks in the shed I can clear the deck. Yes, the wiring is terrible, but it’s one of my next projects.

Yes, I have installed a garage door opener. Does this make me a tosser?

I read that as you did 800 miles in the swimming pool, i presume i read that wrong ? lol

1 hour ago, Spottedlaurel said:

That 10% figure of monthly income is interesting. Even if I forget the years when I had finance to buy something, I suspect that tax, servicing, insurance etc was never very often below that amount.

Last year I spent 13.5% just on tax and insurance. If I add in servicing, repairs, fuel and garage rent it went up to over 30%. 😲 Time for a clear out, I think.

In other news, I was on the A456 in Halesowen earlier and saw a Class 09 diesel shunter on the back of a low loader, not something you see every day. 

On 14/01/2024 at 20:19, grogee said:

Went to BiL's house today for a family gathering. He rents his garage out to a mate who is a car dweeb like us and previously there was some JDM saloon in there that he's now done up and sold. 

Now he's got this Celica GT-4 which has just been in for bodywork and it looks the bollocks. I'd love one of these. 

20240114_133551.jpg

20240114_133602.jpg

20240114_133613.jpg

Very very nice. Reminds me of my Dad's one.