The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I remember those Siesta glasses as always being in ones and twos at the back of cupboards as  a kid, sometimes being dragged into service at village hall events when they ran out of the regular glassware.

For me it's Arcoroc.  I spent a few years scooping up enough to make a full set and spares from various charity shops and have enough that it should see me out barring catastrophe.  Got the clear pressed glass for tumblers, hiball, red wine, white wine, sherry, champagne, and continental lager (they were the hardest to find).

il_fullxfull.3406971927_asba.jpg

Then I've got the brown glass for teacups, saucers, coffee cups, dinner plates, and tea plates.

il_1140xN.3952589058_e8c1.jpg

Got a few extra bits of brown glass arcoroc for flans and the like, but those are a bit harder to find in the right style to match.  Not as easy to find now as they were, though you do still get the odd one in charity shops, and some listings online for frankly laughable sums punted as 'rare' and 'vintage' when they're nothing of the sort.

1 hour ago, Rust Collector said:

A summary of today:

• I oversaw the launch of a new software system at work, which I’ve been responsible for overseeing from concept and has taken forever to get to implementation. I’ve had huge anxiety in the run up to this day, and feared failure. It actually went fairly smoothly despite my apprehensions, and I only messaged a bug report to @rob88h by accident once. I’m calling that a result.
  • I came home to find that my mrs has reversed the disco into the Proton, smashing the indicator on the proton and damaging the bodywork of both vehicles. Not ideal, but nobody hurt so not worth worrying about.
  • My Labrador, who at 12 should be old enough to know better, for some reason rammed his head in the hole of his feeding table. In panic he then ran amok with the table still attached, damaging the house and breaking his feeding table in the process. It was a bastard to pull him back out of it and wasn’t enjoyable for him.
  • My father in law and his wife put our kids to bed, cooked us a fantastic dinner and are now filling me with beer and gin.

It’s been a bit all over the place today.

At least the cock-ups aren't of your making! Plenty of mileage there, with Mrs and the Lab.

8 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Arcoroc

My parents replaced their Siesta glasses with a full set of those. I seem to recall they got the tumblers from a petrol station but they also had wine glasses and champagne flutes. I'm sure some of the latter survive at my mums house, I'll need to check!

The Vivaro didn't pass the Mot, there were some small defects and the biggest was that the winter tires it was on had the wrong load rating, but the most frightening thing was that one of the brake hoses I changed 2 years ago has started to bulge under pressure now.

So it wasn't too bad, a new set of summer tires and fix the other and it's road legal again for 2 new years. And since it is not road legal, I left it at the garage so they can fix it when they have time in the next few weeks.

Turns out an elderly ML320 petrol does exactly 16mpg round the doors, that's running on E5. It does seem to run better on that (and people say it'll be more economical) but I'll try it on E10 to see how the numbers stack up, as the latter is shit loads cheaper.

6 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

Turns out an elderly ML320 petrol does exactly 16mpg round the doors, that's running on E5. It does seem to run better on that (and people say it'll be more economical) but I'll try it on E10 to see how the numbers stack up, as the latter is shit loads cheaper.

Despite this, I miss this car.

The glassware of my childhood would have to be Anchor Hocking Fire King Peach Lustre mugs.

IMG_6238.jpeg.62c61bb7881392e757bebbbdfb3ce51c.jpeg

My grandparents had a set and I always enjoyed watching the tea slosh around through the shiny transparent mugs, so much better than these boring non-see-through mugs everyone else had.

I have the one remaining mug from the set.

1 hour ago, andyberg said:

Despite this, I miss this car.

Honestly not surprised, plus it drives a thousand times nicer than the outside suggests. Still haven't had the starting 'thing' looked at, but it's not got any worse. 

14 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I remember those! Weren't they free* if you saved up 50,000 Texaco fuel vouchers or something? 

Edit:

Apparently you could buy tall versions of the same.

My parents had several of the smaller ones like yours- I'll have to see if any have survived the last 40  years. 

Edit again:

Turns out it was Esso Tiger Tokens. Seems like yesterday...

th.jpeg.dcdb80a3a9c66f12a91edfce9fe27649.jpeg

There was a 'competition' at the tyre place I worked as to who could get the most Tiger Tokens. One lad was the absolute king, he got thousands of the things somehow.  Often wonder if the Transits we had are still about somewhere, most of them hardly ever saw top gear as we ragged the arse out of them and tried to avoid 5th to burn more fuel.

22 hours ago, vulgalour said:

il_fullxfull.3406971927_asba.jpg

T

The glasses of my childhood.

My father was a mobile plant glazier so managed to get 1000s of tiger tokens driving a VW Lt with a luton body workshop on the back, in additon to all the glasses he got the power tools and the garden strimmer and almost the whole catalogue. 

7 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

There was a 'competition' at the tyre place I worked as to who could get the most Tiger Tokens. One lad was the absolute king, he got thousands of the things somehow.  Often wonder if the Transits we had are still about somewhere, most of them hardly ever saw top gear as we ragged the arse out of them and tried to avoid 5th to burn more fuel.

I worked nights at a Shell station when they first started the sticker for 5 litres, fill a card or 2 for a mini Maisto car.

Needless to say I ended up with a full collection,all the way up to a 1/12 Jaguar Xj220.

Then it switched to the Ferrari Collection and again I had the full set,even the Panini/Top Trumps cards..