collection mission to SPAIN!!!! COMPLETED IT M8

Mr_Bo11ox

3 hours ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

good intel. I did wonder about the ferry and whether maybe a couple of hours of chilling and a plate of expensive fried food might be a good input into the equation.

The one time I did over 700 miles in a day in the 2CV, dinner on the ferry worked very well indeed. Worth looking at any other crossings? Dieppe to Newhaven saves a chunk of misery either side of the channel. 

2 hours ago, dean36014 said:

Last year I booked tickets to see a band in Rouen. Now when my late partner was alive I did many drives to  Versailles in my bx. So I confidently booked a room in a hotel in Rouen for 4 nights and headed over in the c15 van. Imagine my surprise to discover that there was now a low emission zone in Rouen and my van wasn't compliant, not did I have a sticker to display in the windscreen. So I had to dump the van a 2km walk away from the hotel and I'm partially disabled. I subsequently discovered that a, if I'd had a sticker I could have used an exemption by displaying my disabled badge, and b, at the time they hadn't yet put the cameras up to enforce it. I recovered the van the next day and dumped it in the underground hotel carpark. Band was great though, got to be an aging rocker again and saw Ghost( the band , not the film).

Do the cameras pick up UK-registered cars, and if so do they bother trying to enforce fines post-Brexit?

29 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Do the cameras pick up UK-registered cars, and if so do they bother trying to enforce fines post-Brexit?

Well I did get a speeding fine for going 8km's over whilst I was out there. I can also say that my partner when she came over to the UK in her french registered bx got UK speeding fine through the post. Unfortunately we discovered these when we cleared her apartment when she passed away. She'd just ignored them and nothing happened.

49 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

The one time I did over 700 miles in a day in the 2CV, dinner on the ferry worked very well indeed. Worth looking at any other crossings? Dieppe to Newhaven saves a chunk of misery either side of the channel. 

Did that 700 include a St Malo - Portsmouth ferry per chance? 🙂

That’s the best crossing ever.

Also @Mr_Bo11ox I had tools taken off me whilst going through security in France so make sure you’re ok to take them if carry on. Hold would’ve been fine and they posted them back to the FR house for €12 but was a pita all the same.

Gzongenflatch

50 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Getting a vignette is straightforward and yes they do cover foreign vehicles:

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/

Notwithstanding any postal fines there is the possibility of on-the-spot enforcement.

Areas covered are in the interactive map above - it really is a very few traffic hotspots which are easily avoided if driving a non-compliant vehicle.

20 minutes ago, dean36014 said:

Well I did get a speeding fine for going 8km's over whilst I was out there. I can also say that my partner when she came over to the UK in her french registered bx got UK speeding fine through the post. Unfortunately we discovered these when we cleared her apartment when she passed away. She'd just ignored them and nothing happened.

I think in recent years we’ve dumped the reciprocity on speeding fines. I’ve accidentally barrelled through several speed cameras in France over the last few years and I’ve never received a souvenir photo despite seeing the flashes.

19 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

I think in recent years we’ve dumped the reciprocity on speeding fines. I’ve accidentally barrelled through several speed cameras in France over the last few years and I’ve never received a souvenir photo despite seeing the flashes.

The reciprocity does not seem to have been reinstated however if you take the same registration number car back and are stopped again the previous speeding offence may be enforced.

It's easier just to keep to the speed limits - motorways are a sensible 80mph. It's all very well signposted.

The reason for all this is that the death toll per km is very high in France and currently a very hot issue indeed.

31 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

There you go.  #BREXITBENEFIT.  Put that in your pipe and smoke it remoaners.

47 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

This was a year ago, so definitely after Brexit. 

You'll be fine. Sounds like you've got everything planned. A route, a couple of hotels and a flying visit to Mother_Bollouxe in quelque part en France.

IIt's probably an age thing, certainly has been with me as I'm more cautious than I used to be. The only issue I ran into was getting in Dunkirk and they'd shut off the main route into the boat terminal, the diversion wasn't very well sign posted but I managed to get to the terminal in plenty of time.

Similarly in the last couple of years of driving into Brussels my usual everyday cars (Peugeot and Jaguar) have either broken down or more recently with the Jag got smashed up. So I've had to make some last minute hurried changes. Honestly, things just seems so much more simpler over the water. I've now registered 3 cars for use in Brussels, it takes literally 5 mins to do (so long as your car is post 2001 petrol and you have a V5 handy)

You'll probably have more issue coming back into the UK.

Be aware that there are a few public holidays this month. 

Next Wednesday and Thursday France will be more closed than usual. 

19/20th are also holidays. 

We take our holidays seriously here, very few, if any, shops will be open. 

As it should be 😁

Hammers and spanners here in Normandy if needed. A long way off your course though... 

MINOR SETBACK, Chased up our man selling the Simca doors yesterday, warning that I was heading his way 1 week from now. Heard nowt so i gave him a prod this morning. "Oh sorry my mate has sold all the Simca parts, sorry about that, have a good weekend". Fucking typical. I did arrange with him a while ago what I was doing. I should have tried to pay a deposit I suppose, but his comms skills were pretty dreadful and I thought it might turn into a big palaver so I didn't.

image.png.dec0b3520676b2952caff2ce14bb7938.png

Anyway, HAIRY BOLLOCKS. thats a real pisser as I really want to pick up a usable pair of rear doors (or at the very least a LH rear door) - I don't want to get into repairing my rusty door as it'll take me ages. I just wanna get another door, do any repairs on it that it needs, paint it and slap it on so that the car stays usable throughout.

There are a few other doors on there, e.g.:

https://www.leboncoin.fr/ad/equipement_auto/2025437008

image.png.8c8c52646ce9147de8c55809e5d4e13a.png

This one's not a massive diversion but its €70 for one door so much more expensive than the last lot (I'd still pay it like), also its got the earlier door handle so I'd have to modify it by grafting in the door handle area from mine, again doable, but more work. Seems like my best fallback option.

image.png.6d674080d0f38d29ed9f8227eaeb0d22.png

https://www.leboncoin.fr/ad/equipement_auto/2315154564

Heres a brand spanker for €80, seems a bargain but it would easy add a couple of hours of driving to my Friday collecting this which I can't really afford TBH

image.png.2e589e475b367ed5315b7a9f5e74bd9b.png

https://www.leboncoin.fr/ad/equipement_auto/2135571878

This seems to be some sort of old car breakers yard, its about an hour from Mutha Bo11ox so again doable but I was hoping to have a day off driving on the Saturday, also the door looks a bit damaged although i could probably fettle it after a fashion as long as its not rotten. Might give these lot a ring tomorrow and see what the crack is as theyre advertising 2 simcas for breaking.