The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

My mate Anna has been looking for a car recently, after her bubble rover 214 decided two headgaskets was not enough.

She was away to look at a berlingo this evening, after I had given her a list of all the things to check.

To her credit she's the thorough sort, and there were a few things that made her spidey senses tingle.

She walked away, and told me as much.

I promptly found a 53plate Saab 9-5 2.0t estate with MOT til July, full s/h Inc sump drop and an owner who had had it 10years.

After a test drive and a good going over, it was bought for £50 less than the Berlingo.

Huzzah.

We then also had to run by her in-laws so they could see the GSA:)

https://www.otsnews.co.uk/mp-councillors-secure-safety-improvement-new-formby-mcdonalds-junction/

improvements !   the last time this junction got improved we lost the left turn filter to go north to Southport  ,

and from Ormskirk a straight on lane which included a turn right to Southport ,  you guessed ,  it the right turners block the straight on traffic to Formby ..

this took years to be researched and be corrected ,

and at that time the shops still existed and people needed a crossing like whats just  been approved ???

so now another round of road works and spending and a junction with less traffic throu put ....because Mcds is opening ...

by the way , people cross the by pass to the north of the junction where there is no crossing , the Northbound lane is clear of traffic at times due to the lights and the south bound lane the traffic is stopped ............

so it will all be in vain anyway .

Just browsing the interwebs when suddenly a wild dollywobbler appears  :mrgreen: (the link should jump the video to a specific time)

https://youtu.be/sVWyXz2YDNA?t=406

speaking of dollywobbler and hand cranking cars, its a shame the guy in/making the video did not mention the invacar model 70, im pretty sure you can hand crank one of those :) (although I have never seen it done)

Just browsing the interwebs when suddenly a wild dollywobbler appears  :mrgreen: (the link should jump the video to a specific time)

https://youtu.be/sVWyXz2YDNA?t=406

speaking of dollywobbler and hand cranking cars, its a shame the guy in/making the video did not mention the invacar model 70, im pretty sure you can hand crank one of those :) (although I have never seen it done)

Ah. Good old content thieves...

You can hand crank an Invacar, but they don't come with a handle...

https://www.otsnews.co.uk/mp-councillors-secure-safety-improvement-new-formby-mcdonalds-junction/

improvements ! the last time this junction got improved we lost the left turn filter to go north to Southport ,

and from Ormskirk a straight on lane which included a turn right to Southport , you guessed , it the right turners block the straight on traffic to Formby ..

this took years to be researched and be corrected ,

and at that time the shops still existed and people needed a crossing like whats just been approved ???

so now another round of road works and spending and a junction with less traffic throu put ....because Mcds is opening ...

by the way , people cross the by pass to the north of the junction where there is no crossing , the Northbound lane is clear of traffic at times due to the lights and the south bound lane the traffic is stopped ............

so it will all be in vain anyway .

I just don't understand.

Ah. Good old content thieves...

You can hand crank an Invacar, but they don't come with a handle...

I was thinking that, I doubted they asked you for permission for use of the video. a lot of this sort of stuff is all over youtube, i guess its a form of freebooting almost. the least they could do is give a "sources" list in the description or something....

as for the invacar stuff, yeah im not surprised, that being said I know a lot of wheel chair users have a lot of upper-body strength so who knows  :mrgreen: I do wonder why they put it there.... (was the dynastart unit an off the shelf thing or?)

230 not out. I always compare good mileage scores to a good innings at the crease. 100 is to be expected from a top order batsman, 150 entirely possible if boredom doesn’t set in. A double century gets a standing ovation and - I hope - 230 gets your name up in the pavilion.

post-19618-0-26940500-1535474234_thumb.jpeg

My mechanic friend has just been over to fit the new brake flexi hoses to the fiat. Unfortunately in about twenty seconds he saw there is about 1mm left on the pads. So I’ve just ordered a set from Eurosport for £9.90 and he’s coming back on Friday. Grr.

Anyone else found AUTODOC app yet?

For the parts I’ve had so far the pricing beats ECP (even with codes) and delivery is reasonably quick.

Autodoc and buycarparts are both the German equivalent of eurocarparts and carparts for less. They are the same company, yes they are cheap, I bought a loads of lemforder suspension stuff for the Clio in jan. Don't know about fast delivery, it took two weeks for my stuff to arrive.

Good value if you buy a fair bit of stuff so you don't get stung too heavily on postage and your in no rush.

Just make sure you order correctly otherwise you will have to send it back to Germany.

1965 Scimitar GT
 update shocker...!

Ever tried to entirely forget about a car you own? Had a vehicle that annoyed and frustrated you so much you just wanted to chuck it in a lockup and forget about it... indefinitely? I in October 2015 I did just that...

Theres no project thread for this car for some reason! So heres a link to some old news 24 posts which track the back story on it if your bored...! 

Buying Pics: http://autoshite.com/topic/30553-the-new-news-24-thread/?p=642158

Carbs part 1: http://autoshite.com/topic/30553-the-new-news-24-thread/?p=730140

Carbs part 2: http://autoshite.com/topic/30553-the-new-news-24-thread/?p=730258

Replacement engine: http://autoshite.com/topic/30553-the-new-news-24-thread/?p=787305

October 2015 was problematic month, I spent many evenings and weekends trying to get the Straight 6 Coupe to run well enough to get it an MOT. A month of effort that resulted in failure; no matter what I did I couldn’t get it to run without misfiring or backfiring spectacularly. The car was living on the street and the mot and tax were recently expired and its dubious legality was adding to my stress levels.

I had an idea that the problem was ignition related, the timing was checked and rechecked. Lots of parts were replaced during testing: points, condenser, rotor arm and cap all seemed to make no difference, the battery was repeatedly run flat while trying to get it to live Nor did swapping for an alternative distributor. several coils were tried but still it would not live.

In the end I simply gave up and It was sent to SORN purgatory in a lockup garage where it languished for nearly 3 years...

So finally in August 2018 Dave and I decided to have another go at getting it running... 

Here it is crammed in the garage with an assortment of other car junk: 

90.jpg

The tyres were flat and it had acquired the faint air of neglect that lockup garages seem to bring. Parts and tools littered the inside of the car, relics from my last bad experience with it... There was so much junk crammed round it the only way to get in was through the passenger side window... We had a loose plan to fit a positive earth compatible Lumentition kit I'd bought in 2015, put a fresh battery on it and see what happened...

Heres the Lumenition module and ballast resistor cable tied to the servo (pro level installation this.)

91.jpg

View from inside:

92.jpg

heres what happened when we tried to start it:

Fired up with more or less no fuss...!

Pleased with that the carbs received a few new parts that were missing when they were rebuilt 3 years ago.

96.jpg

We ran through the baseline setup on the carbs, checked the timing and pulled the car forward out of the garage under its own power...

Pumped the tyres up a bit more...

95.jpg

94.jpg

Hard to belive theres room for a car in here:

93.jpg

Finally it was ready for a drive round the block....

It was a boost to do something with it after so long, the curse has seemingly been lifted! . Its desperate for some more fettling but that will have to wait until the GTE is on the road and the garage at home is free. /Progress!

Excellent! I've said it here before but I'm still staggered how recent law changes mean that you could be fully road legal for nowt (we'll ignore insurance just now..) by just taxing it online at the time. Loving that front plate and that shape is so attractive. Were these expensive when new? Trying to work out why more weren't produced, frankly.

Anyway, good luck with future fettling. The weather and surroundings make the perfect backdrop for something that looks like a down at heel motor, circa 1980 (except for the fab wheels).