The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Didn't those have some weird ABS system that only works on the back wheels?  Surprised the tester had never seen plastic leaf springs before though, several modern vans use them. 

Landcrabs had a very basic ABS on the rear. They had a unit mounted on the inner wing at a slight angle with a ball bearing in it. The harder you braked the further the ball bearing slid up it's little tube until eventually it blocked the line to the rear brakes. Then when you eased off it slid back down and normal service was resumed. 

I can confirm it was not entirely reliable. Twice in my 18/85S I ended up pointing in the opposite direction after a hefty brake application. 

On later cars, 1800 mk3 and 2200s, they had a more sophisticated pressure switch but on the earlier cars it was entirely mechanical. 

Someone was out taking photos of my car a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately it was Norfolk Constabulary...

Well, after 11 years driving regularly, and 85,000 odd miles covered, getting a first NIP is annoying but plenty worse out there. It seems to fall 1mph above the threshold for a course (54mph in a 40 - on the A11 leaving Mildenhall roundabout) so I have resigned myself to SP30 and 3 points.

3 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Didn't those have some weird ABS system that only works on the back wheels?  Surprised the tester had never seen plastic leaf springs before though, several modern vans use them. 

Some might have? Mine is AWD which has a pretty normal system.  I only really thought of the Corvette with composite springs.. 

5 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

That's normally a shop I avoid as our local one is a total zoo most of the time, 

My local one is in the North of Aberdeen in an industrial estate retail park on what is literally the city limits, and it's good, personally always stop by before heading into Aberdeen itself. But have found others I've been to around the UK to be more like you've described...  

1 hour ago, N19 said:

Someone was out taking photos of my car a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately it was Norfolk Constabulary...

Well, after 11 years driving regularly, and 85,000 odd miles covered, getting a first NIP is annoying but plenty worse out there. It seems to fall 1mph above the threshold for a course (54mph in a 40 - on the A11 leaving Mildenhall roundabout) so I have resigned myself to SP30 and 3 points.

They are buggers for sitting in the side road just after the services.  I've almost been caught there a couple of times. 

2 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

They are buggers for sitting in the side road just after the services.  I've almost been caught there a couple of times. 

It's a little galling, since the limit on the other side is higher IIRC, you come off a roundabout, I hadn't noticed the 40mph sign, so accelerated... and got snapped just before the derestriction.

Oh well, nothing to be done about it now - have to take it on the chin really!

1 hour ago, 17-Coffees said:

My local one is in the North of Aberdeen in an industrial estate retail park on what is literally the city limits, and it's good, personally always stop by before heading into Aberdeen itself. But have found others I've been to around the UK to be more like you've described...  

The one in what I *think* used to be MFI opposite B&Q I'm guessing?

Aberdeen was my stomping ground for a good few years before I (foolishly) moved south.  A decision we're as a family collectively working on reversing one day hopefully.

4 hours ago, N19 said:

At least you won’t lose half a day of your life being talked to as if you’re a moron.

I'm still getting an occasional parking brake error on the A8 as I expected. Easily cleared but it has prompted me to get something sorted code reader-wise. I have a copy of VCDS in my Google Drive, and the correct cable but I was completely confused by all the files and how to download it. Also, despite being solid state, my 14 year old laptop still overheats quickly and cuts out after 10 minutes. One for another day.

Meantime, after looking through Kiltox's thread on the car, I noticed he had linked to this VAG code reader which seems to be able to communicate with all its modules:

Deal: AUTOPHIX Upgraded OBD2 Scanner OM129 Battery Test 2-in-1 Code Reader Full Live Data Code Reader with All OBD2 Function Enhanced Code Definition Car Code Reader Diagnostic Scan Tool https://amzn.eu/d/4g513P3

So I bought it.

I replaced the key battery but computer still says no on the keyless entry. I think you need 2 keys to follow the reset procedure but as I have just one it will have to be unlocked off the button like all the other plebs do 🤣

Chauffeur duties yesterday for one of our local American basketball players, not quite Royalty but a celebrity in our circle nonetheless!

The TT was gone by the time we got back so the low battery mustn't have been too much of an issue.

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Deal: AUTOPHIX Upgraded OBD2 Scanner OM129 Battery Test 2-in-1 Code Reader Full Live Data Code Reader with All OBD2 Function Enhanced Code Definition Car Code Reader Diagnostic Scan Tool https://amzn.eu/d/4g513P3

So I bought it.

I think is the 7610 version is the one that does VAG. I did see another VAG specific scanner for cheaper than £120 on Amazon. I'll have to see if I can dig a link out. 

VAG code reader

I think this was it:

https://amzn.eu/d/gqkOrdO

Also, despite being solid state, my 14 year old laptop still overheats quickly and cuts out after 10 minutes. One for another day.

Often dust builds up on the heatsinks. Ideally pull apart to clean it out but I've had luck blowing on the fan outlet to push it all back out. 

16 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Today has been spent working on a friend's white Rover.  Another friend was here helping and arrived in his red Rover.  The Princess was just there to provide moral support and tools.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20240330164751_COVER.jpg.7e061a33800ea76d0cdf4371f5a6b0d5.jpg

Rover dealer circa 1993 

Salesman " We'll give you £50 for the princess against the 87 820 Sir "

Owner " it's a one owner with 27000 miles " 

Salesman " ok £60 

Owner " Done "

I haven't had a fun day. Since the new wheel loader has taken the garage for the small Zetor tractor, it has been given a temporary tarpaulin garage. In a strong wind, one of the poles of that garage came loose and knocked exhaust system so it broke off.

So this means I got to have the fun of dismantling 50 year old exhaust parts that have never been apart. And it went as expected, 1 threaded stud snapped.

So after several attempts to get it out, I had to give up and remove the exhaust manifold, all the bolts here came out but the lowest ones were difficult to get to.

IMG_20240331_123020_416.jpg.126efbf72812fb49a281f28c0f5eb4a7.jpg

Disassembled and I also discovered that a frost plug has started to leak a lot so it also needs to be replaced it is clearly visible in picture.

IMG_20240331_124229_141.jpg.053ed61ed51eab279fb2d73eeb51c00d.jpg

And this is the problem, both threaded studs in the exhaust manifold need to be replaced, but they won't come out no matter what I try, so I have to think a bit about coming up with a solution. I don't think there is a new exhaust manifold for this 2 cyl engines, but will check.

IMG_20240331_123319_464.jpg.1f114f848dfd1099c03bf05ca7560c24.jpg

1 hour ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

And this is the problem, both threaded studs in the exhaust manifold need to be replaced, but they won't come out no matter what I try, so I have to think a bit about coming up with a solution. I don't think there is a new exhaust manifold for this 2 cyl engines, but will check.

Grind the broken stud off flush with the manifold. Centre punch and drill through the stud. Grind a small flat on the back of the manifold where the hole emerges and just use a standard nut and bolt. If it ever seizes again an easy grind off and a new nut and bolt.

9 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

VAG code reader which seems to be able to communicate with all its modules:

So I bought it.

Aye, well that was fucking shite.

The link is for a shitty OM129 which does fuck all and is way overpriced. Back in 2021 it presented a far superior 7610 model.

As the 2 models looked the same, guess who didn't study everything before buying it.....

It did state that there are no fault codes with either the A8 or A4.

Return is scheduled for Tuesday 😞

I haven't bothered with a thread on any of my cars for a few years now as there's not much going on compared to other people's. I'll do usually try to post updates on all my cars on the NN24 thread although no news is good news 😅

Plus I'm sort of privileged to own a notorius* forum car!

39 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

not much going on compared to other people's.

It can certainly appear that way when everything is lost in N24.  But you actually do a fair amount, and the cumulative content is much more valued than the couple of likes for each post may suggest.  

22 hours ago, Saabnut said:

Grind the broken stud off flush with the manifold. Centre punch and drill through the stud. Grind a small flat on the back of the manifold where the hole emerges and just use a standard nut and bolt. If it ever seizes again an easy grind off and a new nut and bolt.

I had thought of something similar but tried your suggestion and it worked great, so after a bit of cleaning, the exhaust manifold is ready to get back on the engine again, just need to get new gaskets first. IMG_20240401_133336_000.jpg.9434243039974dfe00ab62657eff22da.jpg

I also got to use the old drill set I inherited from my grandad, these are the best drills I've used and they were made in West Germany so I'm guessing they're from the 1980s?

IMG_20240401_133818_174.jpg.de34b5397ae5df2a9dc639954e5f2483.jpg