The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

5 hours ago, junkyarddog said:

It's taken too long,cost too much,pissed me off on numerous occasions,failed on two stupid items,but finally this shitbox has passed it's test and is fully road legal for the first time since 2012.

20240307_173254.thumb.jpg.c83bf96ccbc54dc605b6526ceab8f8f5.jpg

Appropriate badge...

20240307_173452.thumb.jpg.3b777a0e55bca21d5f71007cc72df5a5.jpg

Nice enough cars, but don't put three people in the back seat, they sag something cruel. They are also lethal with a trailer on, again because of sagging. I put an empty 4 wheel trailer on the back of mine and over every bump the a frame would press down the car's tail so much that the rear trailer wheels would come off the ground. As there are a lot of bumps that meant the trailer would yaw from side to side over 30mph. It's down to specifying the same springs and shocks as a Golf, which didn't have a large boot sticking out behind. Back in the day you could buy helper springs, which fitted concentrically inside the rear springs, and made the whole thing much more stable.

10 hours ago, junkyarddog said:

Two new Heavy duty rear shocks which are about 25mm longer than standard are fitted,along with the aforementioned helper springs!😉

Back in the day Passat estate rear springs were and upgrade too,made of thicker material. 

Not my first rodeo with these cars.

20230906_153759.thumb.jpg.4f7576aa23c62369191ed532aa5bd98a.jpg20230904_133216.thumb.jpg.e5b727506ac2818b543645fae51d2089.jpg

If that's taken care of they are quite nice family cars, especially with a turbo. Even in those days 54hp was a bit weak. Although I had two B2 non turbo Passats that were a bit slower again. I really don't understand why VW didn't stiffen up the back end on the Jettas.

My Jetta was sold to my brother in law, who diligently repaired the door tops nearly every year. What finally killed it was the channel around the boot lid starting to disintegrate, meaning anything in the boot got soaked.

13 hours ago, barefoot said:

Our half wit, defrocked ex Conservative MP Andrew Brigden has been handing out general election flyers today. Meanwhile Sunak continues to deny May election,.

My sympathies. He really is a grade-A headbanger. Too right wing for the Conservatives!!! 

1 hour ago, artdjones said:

If that's taken care of they are quite nice family cars, especially with a turbo. Even in those days 54hp was a bit weak. Although I had two B2 non turbo Passats that were a bit slower again. I really don't understand why VW didn't stiffen up the back end on the Jettas.

My Jetta was sold to my brother in law, who diligently repaired the door tops nearly every year. What finally killed it was the channel around the boot lid starting to disintegrate, meaning anything in the boot got soaked.

Yeah,it's slow and gutless,I do have a 1.9 in a golf stashed down my cousins farm yard. 

I also have a turbo set up.....but I'm loathe to take it apart at the moment,despite its near 200k the 1.6 runs really well,and starts on the button,so I think I'll put up with it.

Besides my friend that I got it from is offering me money for it back.....

Will see.

Fuck indeed. Someone isn't getting a wink of sleep tonight.

I've been on the wrong end of an accident where something similar happened. Luckily the dual-rear wheels landed on the bonnet of one of the other cars, before a glancing blow off the top corner of the windscreen of a Royal Mail truck behind it deflected them into a field. I had the misfortune to run over the remains of the hub. Split the front alloy clean in two, which was fun* in the outside lane of a packed M6 at 70mph, then ripped the fuel cooler off and bent the rear alloy, before I fired it through the radiator of the Passat behind.

17 hours ago, artdjones said:

Nice enough cars, but don't put three people in the back seat, they sag something cruel. 

When I started collecting computers a Dr. Horace  Bernard-Smith gave me his Apple IIgs and paperwork collection, and I picked up some Apple ///s on the same trip. It was packed up to the roof on the back seat...

My Jetta Syncro looked stanced at the back and they have half the boot space to fill!

A few months ago I replaced the main upper engine mount on the Laguna as the vibration was getting excessive. It took a while to track down the source of the issue but on inspection the oil filled mount had collapsed as wasn’t really damping anything. A new aftermarket one was ordered but failed again after a week or so! I was refunded by the vendor but only got around to replacing the mount this week. A used OEM mount was sourced on eBay and finally fitted last night. I haven’t taken it for a test drive yet but the car is making much less noise on the driveway and the wiper arms aren’t dancing around anymore! 

I cut the old (new) mount open and found the damping oil had escaped and was sitting at the bottom. New Renault mounts cost approx £130 and this one was £50 so maybe that explains it! 

IMG_5141.jpeg

IMG_5142.jpeg