The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Boss says wants to use company car so told to fix ther others, two just needed new batterys and the 3rd had broken handle, went to fit but that is too long with lock turn mech, not having hacksaw or power tools i looked to refit the old broken handle, so decided to double check old handle owt obvious to say was broken, too cold so thought put back in and go warm up, came to tighting bolt that was mega tight and wouldnt fully come out. It held 2 pieces metal straight but as bolt was cnackered it was allowing plate to move and not pulling lever to open the door, so thought go cable tie and temp/ permenant repair

post-4824-0-83848100-1521500572_thumb.jpg

post-4824-0-96043300-1521500690_thumb.jpg

post-4824-0-58772000-1521500711_thumb.jpg

Mini Convertible is going back today. Sold apparently! It was only registered on the 29th December 2017 and done 1600 miles. Honda HRV as a replacement. I kinda wish it was a Civic.

Still waiting for official conformation on my car and what they're going to pay.

Bentley is good in the snow! Traction control limits fun though :(  but then I'm not sure if I am brave enough to chuck it around deliberately! Also now got a 'Mineral oil ' warning light flashing at me when I accelerate. Bloody car!

A new windscreen fitted in Shonky the BX. As suspected there was some rust hiding but thankfully it cleaned up ok with no holes and all solid. He's all ready for a trip to Paris next week now. Screen surround should be ok for a few more years before it needs a tickle with the welder, and as a brucey bonus hopefully the mystery water leak will stop now as the screen was no longer bonded in the corners.

This image from a paper got put up on a local history Facebook page today, thought you lot would enjoy it.  Warmingtons were Bideford's Peugeot/Talbot dealer until they switched to Hyundai around the time of this photo, would have been early 90s at a guess.

post-5492-0-24448900-1521556772_thumb.jpg

It was a tiny, cramped building - there was a little workshop at the back but the actual garage which served it was in a seperate building across the river and is still trading independently under the same name to this day. 

They moved out to a purpose-built showroom in Barnstaple about 15 years ago, the building has been empty and an ongoing building project ever since. 

post-5492-0-02596700-1521556776_thumb.png

Taken BGD out for a run to see if the warning lights were behaving (yes they are   :)   ) and thought I'd better get somemore LHM as it is supposed to have 2 bottles in the boot along with the special adaptor to fit into the oil tanks on this thing. No one seems to stock it other than Halfords and by the cringe, it's fookin' expensive gear ain't it!?  £13 before discount card but I bought some Autoglym stuff as well so the bill was £14 which cheered me up.

The rev counter is currently behaving as well so I have nothing to whinge about with it.... it will never last !   :)  

Ongoing saga of selling old house/ buying somewhere new.

Been to view a very large house at the top of our budget that needs more work than I expected and has no garage.

It's still on bakelite electrics.

Tempting to keep the bakelite.

My observations of bakelite gear; the switches usually continue to work unless the springs die of fatigue, the wiring will however be a frightening mix of lead cabling with decayed guttapercha insulation that's waiting to randomly set the building on fire and shit DIY efforts made up of chocolate block, twist joints and a rats' nest of red/black era PVC, none of which is labelled or even vaguely logical in layout.

Yeah I walked away from house like that with similar wiring, beautiful 30's place with all original features, but I couldn't face or afford another bloody re-wire, oh and it had one loo, downstairs, separate from the bathroom!

My observations of bakelite gear; the switches usually continue to work unless the springs die of fatigue, the wiring will however be a frightening mix of lead cabling with decayed guttapercha insulation that's waiting to randomly set the building on fire and shit DIY efforts made up of chocolate block, twist joints and a rats' nest of red/black era PVC, none of which is labelled or even vaguely logical in layout.

I had A 1930s Hoover 725 apart the other month, and all the cloth, rubber and asbestos cable was breaking up, would near snap in half with light pressure.

The bakelite ends were superb though, polished up a treat. It all got rewired with modern cable and now won't try and kill anyone!

Do like a bit of bakelite, especially when polished up. Good dose of cream cleaner to clean it, then a gentle polish with the rotary car polisher then 5 or 6 coats of wax to bring out the 'grain' /colour

Rover man is coming to view the Volvo in an hour - out of the blue Old Man said he's willing to store the Volvo on the drive on SORN while the Rover sells, if he wants it as he's a known good buyer. I'll know later what happens but collectionage may occur tomorrow.

That could be a good result. 

As the weather was nice I decided to take the van down to the in laws and swap it with the Rover that's been in their garage since October as i want to get it home and ready for the summer.

This is the first time I've had both cars together.

314ab31856b911715abd1eed0f8ed70c.jpg

a227691bbc8cbc5f6112eaeed596cdb3.jpg

The brakes were stuck on a bit and the power steering was very heavy to start with but it all soon cleared up and me and my oldest had a nice cruise back home in it, it got her seal of approval!

b68bb4c3ebb5eddf06e503459f33f923.jpg

Ongoing saga of selling old house/ buying somewhere new.

Been to view a very large house at the top of our budget that needs more work than I expected and has no garage.

It's still on bakelite electrics.

Don't know about the UK , but period fittings are sought after over here. You can get modern reproductions with all the CE, NF markings but they're freaking expensive.

I'd say keep them but make sure the wiring to them isn't shit.

We should do age-related calendars......Start off with 1984.   Trigger's in-and-out picture represents a Friday evening in March of that year.   Ken Brickwell, director of a small local building company riding out a brief house-building boom has taken advantage of an extra hour of daylight to polish up the Ital after a week of site-checking and wage pay-outs.   The Rover is ready to take out Mrs Brickwell to a Round Table dinner where he hopes to network another small contract off the back of Taylor Woodrow. 

Taken BGD out for a run to see if the warning lights were behaving (yes they are   :)   ) and thought I'd better get somemore LHM as it is supposed to have 2 bottles in the boot along with the special adaptor to fit into the oil tanks on this thing. No one seems to stock it other than Halfords and by the cringe, it's fookin' expensive gear ain't it!?  £13 before discount card but I bought some Autoglym stuff as well so the bill was £14 which cheered me up.

The rev counter is currently behaving as well so I have nothing to whinge about with it.... it will never last !   :)

I’ll happily give it a run up to north wales at the weekend if you want to give it some exercise;-)

Yeah, I think it'll need a full rewire. Unfortunately I know no electricians in Cardiff, so have no friendly sparky willing to cater to my whims and save the bakelite fittings.

Just get some new stuff...

http://www.art-deco-emporium.co.uk/ceiling-roses-and-cups

You'll be able to flog the old gear off to offset the price....

I’ll happily give it a run up to north wales at the weekend if you want to give it some exercise;-)

It;s going to snow again apparently (not this weekend but...) but even though you are rich beyond measure, this things fuel consumption would test anyones 'Gold Card'!

:) 

Moved into an old (1895) place a couple of weeks back and had it rewired because pretty much all the switches were Bakelite and the wire insulation vulcanised rubber. We've retained the old switches wherever possible or bought refurbed ones (from eBay). Makes a real visual difference.

Finding a spark was a hassle though. Rang six and only two returned calls, and one of them told me he was about to have an op putting him out of action for 6 months. I'd normally get three quotes but the final bloke showed up when he said he would, got a quote out quick, the price seemed reasonable and he did a good job.

Now, to find a plumber...

It;s going to snow again apparently (not this weekend but...) but even though you are rich beyond measure, this things fuel consumption would test anyones 'Gold Card'!

:)

Well if you change your mind, I’m happy to help :-)

Mercedes dealer not called back from Saturday, main local guy I’ve not heard back from for a month, and second local merc guy recommended by the paint shop not called either. How hard is it to give people £1000 these days!?

The bloody car is stuck in the barn until it’s fixed. Just feeling extremely grumpy and depressed ( on national happy day or something) as I need to go to my grandads funeral on Monday. If I don’t hear from the merc dealer tomorrow I’ll be in touch with the Citroen garage to do the work.