The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I've just seen someone on Twitter post that they were bravely going to trust a 1997 Mondeo for a 200-mile trip, because their 08 plate Vectra had a steering fault. Followed up by them taking the Vectra anyway because they 'bottled' it. FFS!

Comparatively, depending on whether we can get the main beam to work the Scirocco will go for MOT retest.

If it passes I've a load of commitments over the weekend, so it may get a snowy 350 mile shakedown after 18 months off the road and a full engine/ gearbox/ suspension swap.

I've just seen someone on Twitter post that they were bravely going to trust a 1997 Mondeo for a 200-mile trip, because their 08 plate Vectra had a steering fault. Followed up by them taking the Vectra anyway because they 'bottled' it. FFS!

Bloody ballbags what's up with them the mondeo has only just become old

Greg Hendry's funeral in Paisley, Glasgow, this afternoon.

Published earlier this week

-

HENDRY GREG. Passed away in tragic circumstances on Sunday 25th February 2018. Greg, much loved dad to Piper-Rose, beloved son of David and Margaret, a loving brother to the late Jillian and a special nephew and cousin who will be missed by all who knew him. Funeral service will take place at Woodside Crematorium on Friday 16th March at 2pm, to which all family and friends are respectfully invited.

What a complete and utter fanny.

I'm planning to drive a 1995 BMW that's still not road legal yet to Durham and back at the end of April. I'd best get a move on with it then!

I saw that, he ain't exactly Indiana Jones is he...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

So they took a car with a known fault instead. What a plonker.

IMO the 90s was the pinnacle of reliable motoring. I would trust most 90s cars that are running fine now to still be running fine after 100miles.

And having driven both I know I'd feel fresher stepping out of the mondeo after that distance.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

I saw that, he ain't exactly Indiana Jones is he...

I moved units with a 1985 Peugeot estate. Did the Woodhead six times in it.

That's lame, even by AS standards. I wish I'd had realised the front flexis were destroyed, like.

-

HENDRY GREG. Passed away in tragic circumstances on Sunday 25th February 2018. Greg, much loved dad to Piper-Rose, beloved son of David and Margaret, a loving brother to the late Jillian and a special nephew and cousin who will be missed by all who knew him. Funeral service will take place at Woodside Crematorium on Friday 16th March at 2pm, to which all family and friends are respectfully invited.

I'll be thinking of him during my MOT.

I had two new tyres fitted to the Rover this morning.  Went for Toyo Proxes as they were a good price and a brand that I'd heard of. 

Interesting* photo of a wheel:

post-5013-0-55164300-1521200200_thumb.jpg

Quite pleased I managed to squeeze it in before work as we're off to France next Monday for a few days (nowt fancy just mooching around Normandy).  The steering feels better and there's much less tyre rumble, so that's all good.  The other two can wait till pay day.

Rear brakes are still squeaking though, and I notice temperatures will plummet tomorrow, so my plan of fiddling with them may just end up being a cursory dousing in brake cleaner and hope the blast down the motorway will free things up.  It did last week...

I have been driving the Jag regularly over the last week after its month in the sin bin.

I had been concidering shifting it along scince the hose fiasco started, I was looking at Volvo and Merc estates as possible replacements. Somthing more modern and reliable. But this last week has reignited the fire, I have never been so happy with it.

"If you love em', let em' go, and if they come back it was ment to be."

I can see myself owning it for many years to come.

-

I'll be raising a glass to him later. RIP Hendry lad.

Made a useful little modification to the bx today. Two washer jets for a fiver delivered and a couple of quid for enough new pipe to do 3 cars. Got rid of the useless spray bar that kept blocking up and was falling to bits. New jets work well and after a bit of adjustment to the direction of the nozzles cleans the screen great.

post-740-0-54493700-1521204871_thumb.jpg

Hold on there with the criticism folks.

There’s quite a few on here (myself included) who wouldn’t want to do 2 miles, let alone 200, in a Vauxhall Vectra.

That chap is probably so hardcore that he could do a 10 stretch in Guantanamo bay standing on his head.

I assume you are talking about Tyron bands? the two-part metal thing that fills the wheel well to prevent a flat tyre coming off the rim? If so, go to a caravan workshop - they sell them and will know what they are doing.

Otherwise, just get a garage to break the front bead and push the tyre down far enough to grind/dremmel off the allen bolts, then bin the fucking things. The principal of them is sound, but they are really meant for trailers and caravans where it is possible to not realise the tyre has punctured and keep driving. It stops the flat tyre coming off the rim and fucking shit up. They are a bit pointless on a car though as you will notice a flat tyre straight away.

Hey, someone that knows about them!

They are indeed - no idea why this giffer put them on his 740.

Yep, doing that tomorrow.

The tyre place looked at it and said that the powdercoaters fucked the sidewall/bead up and I'll have to buy a new tyre.

FFS.