The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Guest Hooli

Not sure where these should go. But I took them today so!

Scarecrow Shite! The farmers around here have a habit of using old cars as bird fleggers 8)

Twin headlights, must be a posh one.

Mrs_Jon's Clio is having issues, so is off the road. Thus, 28 year old 205 has been pressed into service and was collected from my cousin earlier this week, as he'd been loaned it long term.

The modern* Mondeo is serving its purpose but occasionally smells clutchy, which I think is mechanical death knell stuff for a scruffy Mk3 petrol. Currently at 354000km.

The Commodore's motor is still in the garage not being fitted 3 YEARS after it arrived. The Visa needs final fettling from HGF and the Land Rover is a long term project that I've not touched in weeks. Quite rightly, Mrs_Jon wants me to pull my finger out and get stuff fixed.

Therefore, I've just paid for a car I gave a 4 minute once over in the rain a few days ago, when it was parked out on the owner's street. That said, it's a literal once in a lifetime opportunity to bag one of these in NZ and it's road legal and therefore mega practical and is both shite and desirable, to boot so it just had to be done. Didn't it?!

My multi-car insurance is due next month.The renewal has gone up £21.to £724

A quick look on line.

Direct line came up first,so tried them almost £200 cheaper.

Direct line it is then.

Edit *At the moment a happy insurance post* If spending money on insurance is happy for once.It may not last!

Shepfact: GT85 appears to temporarily revive knackered old red car paintwork, in this case The Volvo's passenger side rear door and rear quarter, which were painted due to collision damage some time before I bought the car. Indeed, the door is a replacement panel.

The puddle under the car in the first picture is the result of applying spray grease to the base of the inner rear wheel arches, in order to augment the Waxoyl already there:

post-4796-0-33515900-1521118314_thumb.jpg

post-4796-0-75556700-1521118339_thumb.jpg

It will be interesting to see how long the GT85 keeps the paint shiny, but it seems to be alright so far, despite it raining overnight.

I'd love to get the car resprayed, as its paintwork is really showing its age and is down to the primer in places, but currently there's no way that I can afford the sort of paint job that the car truly deserves. One day...

Minor passed its MoT yesterday.  No advisories.   It has a tyre close to being advisable which is a bit of a concern and I think goes back to a pothole incident a couple of years ago.  I had to do a diesel spec warm-up run to disguise the slightly leaking tail pipe too.     

Cowley has also passed but is still in dock owing to a handbrake cable saga that has managed now to waste 17 days of my life.   You couldn't write it, so I won't bore you with that one.

Bye bye Civic. Hope to see you again and not too soon!

0e72bb2db1682c39da8ec3a915c2d44f.jpg

Actually felt sad seeing it going off. Sitting in it to move it off the drive, I remembered the distinct, soft smell the car has. I hope it doesn't get written off. If it does, as long as it's not silly money, I'll buy it back.

Boot floor looked sound. So even if they do, it should be easily repairable by replacing the crash beam under the bumper.

b829fd0b02d0eec476c43aa183837897.jpg

Minor passed its MoT yesterday.  No advisories.   It has a tyre close to being advisable which is a bit of a concern and I think goes back to a pothole incident a couple of years ago.  I had to do a diesel spec warm-up run to disguise the slightly leaking tail pipe too.     

Cowley has also passed but is still in dock owing to a handbrake cable saga that has managed now to waste 17 days of my life.   You couldn't write it, so I won't bore you with that one.

I liked this for the passes not the 17 days wasted

Solved the problem of the broken wires in The Volvo's door wiring loom (in common with the engine bay loom, the door looms of a Volvo 700/900 are separate from the main loom) by purchasing a guaranteed good replacement from a 1992 940 from German eBay:

post-4796-0-92080800-1521144664_thumb.jpg

Only cost the equivalent of £35 and should be a far easier fix than trying to cut and solder wires in a confined space.

As you can probably tell, I really, really like this car ^^

Deserves its own thread Shep! 

I'd start a thread about the car, but nearly 15 years of repairs and maintenance would take a heck of a lot of recounting; at the moment, I'm playing 'catch-up' with various medium to long term 'live with' and age-related problems that the car has, mainly to do with its electrical system, which isn't a Volvo 740 strong point.

The replacement door wiring loom will just about sort it, although I could do with replacing the fuse box/relay board at some point within the next couple of years. 

Pawnote: I still can't believe that I've owned The Volvo for 15 years this year. When I bought it, I wasn't expecting to keep it for more than three years; my intention was to run it into the ground and replace it with a late model 240 GLT estate or a 940 'Celebration' LPT estate. Obviously, that never happened, and I'm glad that it didn't :)

Mrs_Jon's Clio is having issues, so is off the road. Thus, 28 year old 205 has been pressed into service and was collected from my cousin earlier this week, as he'd been loaned it long term.

The modern* Mondeo is serving its purpose but occasionally smells clutchy, which I think is mechanical death knell stuff for a scruffy Mk3 petrol. Currently at 354000km.

The Commodore's motor is still in the garage not being fitted 3 YEARS after it arrived. The Visa needs final fettling from HGF and the Land Rover is a long term project that I've not touched in weeks. Quite rightly, Mrs_Jon wants me to pull my finger out and get stuff fixed.

Therefore, I've just paid for a car I gave a 4 minute once over in the rain a few days ago, when it was parked out on the owner's street. That said, it's a literal once in a lifetime opportunity to bag one of these in NZ and it's road legal and therefore mega practical and is both shite and desirable, to boot so it just had to be done. Didn't it?!

I wondered why I saw the Mondeo parked at mrs Jon's work this morning  :?

A while ago I had to buy a new tyre for the Volvo. It didn't seal (and from experience I knew it wasn't going to with any amount of sealant), so I took it off and put the spare on until I sent two of the wheels to the powdercoater's, the flat one and one other off the car.

Fucking puncture band thingy strikes again... they rang me up, they're confused, never seen these things before etc etc. Eh? I'd completely forgotten about them since I asked when I had the tyres fitted that they bin them. Why did they put them back on then? Didn't realise they were still on there for fuck's sake.

They managed to do one but didn't do the other, as when they took the tyre off the Allen headed bolt on that weird band thing started to round, so they refused to touch it, or any more I send them, so if I even wanted to get them done (I now don't) I'd have to pay extra to get someone else to remove/have the same problem with the fucking band. Old Man's had a look before and can't get it ofr either.

So that's a PITA.

The one they did do...

40790960532_98a8aa1764_c.jpg

that tyre has TWO miles on it ffs. Seeing what I can do about that...

Oh, and the battery is knackered - it takes a load of cranking to start and the clock is losing time. Probably explains why the cigarette lighter has gone all ex-cop Dodge Monaco.

Bloody car, I'll be glad when it's gone. Never stopped being a PITA.

Long story short, the ex-mrs has had to quit driving through ill health (early onset Alzheimer's), so I've been tasked with selling her Pug 307.

Stage 1 was to get it MoT'd...of course it was going to fail spectacularly as it's a 307, it's been standing since Christmas, has 143,000 miles on the clock and it's a 307

It only bloody passed!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

A while ago I had to buy a new tyre for the Volvo. It didn't seal (and from experience I knew it wasn't going to with any amount of sealant), so I took it off and put the spare on until I sent two of the wheels to the powdercoater's, the flat one and one other off the car.

Fucking puncture band thingy strikes again... they rang me up, they're confused, never seen these things before etc etc. Eh? I'd completely forgotten about them since I asked when I had the tyres fitted that they bin them. Why did they put them back on then? Didn't realise they were still on there for fuck's sake.

They managed to do one but didn't do the other, as when they took the tyre off the Allen headed bolt on that weird band thing started to round, so they refused to touch it, or any more I send them, so if I even wanted to get them done (I now don't) I'd have to pay extra to get someone else to remove/have the same problem with the fucking band. Old Man's had a look before and can't get it ofr either.

So that's a PITA.

The one they did do...

40790960532_98a8aa1764_c.jpg

that tyre has TWO miles on it ffs. Seeing what I can do about that...

Oh, and the battery is knackered - it takes a load of cranking to start and the clock is losing time. Probably explains why the cigarette lighter has gone all ex-cop Dodge Monaco.

Bloody car, I'll be glad when it's gone. Never stopped being a PITA.

I assume you are talking about Tyron bands? the two-part metal thing that fills the wheel well to prevent a flat tyre coming off the rim? If so, go to a caravan workshop - they sell them and will know what they are doing.

Otherwise, just get a garage to break the front bead and push the tyre down far enough to grind/dremmel off the allen bolts, then bin the fucking things. The principal of them is sound, but they are really meant for trailers and caravans where it is possible to not realise the tyre has punctured and keep driving. It stops the flat tyre coming off the rim and fucking shit up. They are a bit pointless on a car though as you will notice a flat tyre straight away.