The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Picked up the hire car today. As it wasn't my fault I got a like for like replacement.

The guy on the phone said it's a Mini Cooper. Cool I thought, something mildly interesting (better than an Astra...). "I wonder if it was a 5 door or 3 door?" passed through my mind. Then had a fright "Ohhh no, I hope it's not one of those enormous Clubman things!?!".

No. It wasn't. Far, far worse than that.

4afd7ad57da347f5e195a1bb66f625ec.jpg

When you close the doors, it does this...

6189f09ed1ddc04d79f25fc2faa896dc.jpg

Is that a bit like the Batman symbol, but in reverse?

Anyone got a balaclava that I can borrow for 7 days?....

Dollywobbler might have one....

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

etc......

sorry but I am lol'ing here.

edit - obviously sorry for the accident - but the fact they see a Civic as like for like with  THAT - hahahahahahaahahhahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

oops - there I go again

Been to the garage to get the tyre inflator thing out of the boot of BIG dollop and I am appalled at the state of the car/garage, may as well not have a roof at all for all the good it's doing. Car is soaking yet again and looks dreadful. It's got to go (the garage, maybe the car as well) so I need to know if there is a market for large garage items: compressor, welder, stuff like that?

Picked up the hire car today... Anyone got a balaclava that I can borrow for 7 days?

I feel your pain - when my first 205 got written off they sent me an Audi A1 in full wanker spec, complete with the world's most retarded automatic gearbox. Longest two weeks of my motoring life, that was. I'd actually prefer what you've got (apart from those stupid lights).

The (rather camp) hire car chap said "You'll love the car you've got! It's that little mini convertible out there :) :) "

"Really?! ????" Said I.

He said he was very envious of me of what car I got.

I'm usually not very bothered about what people think of me when I drive any car. However this one I felt very self conscious being in it with the roof down.

Another interesting thing is that this car came through Thrifty - not a credit hire company. On my last accident (again rear end, the car I replaced the Civic with) I had a Merc B-class. They were charging back around £350 a day for that car. The paperwork for this car says that its costing the other insurer £18 a day. Apparently DirectLine and Thrifty have a multi-million pound deal for courtesy/hire cars now. It all started since the start of this month, so everyone is a bit new to it. However hopefully this means cutting down on the ripping off of insurers in business-to-business transactions. Maybe even helping reduce insurance costs? (Probably not).

I'm genuinely quite intrigued to see what its like. Only done a thousand miles and still on its factory fit Michelins. The most annoying thing (for me) is that being the soft-top its slower than the standard car - I guess from the additional weight of that roof.

I would fully embrace that with the roof down (and you’ve seen what an ugly fat bastard I am)

Even in stop start Bristol traffic on a cold day :D

Despite my reluctance, the hire guy insisted to put the roof down for me. Then disappeared off without telling me how to put it back up again!

The roof does have a neat feature where you can just have the half bit at the front open - like a cloth sunroof does.

I'm genuinely quite intrigued to see what its like. Only done a thousand miles and still on its factory fit Michelins. The most annoying thing (for me) is that being the soft-top its slower than the standard car - I guess from the additional weight of that roof.

I think soft tops need to have reinforcement along the chassis to stop chassis flex, and this usually adds a reasonable amount of weight.

Yes and its why I generally don't like these sort of cars! A soft-top to me should be a sports car. Quick, nimble, light and impractical. However to fit those useless seats in the back to make it appear practical and the fancy electronic folding roof, they have to strengthen it up to stop it flopping around (like a Saab convertible does).

Just realised that I won't be able to fit my bike in to take home either. :?

I really shouldn't moan at all to be honest. At least its a petrol Mini convertible, not diesel. It could have been much worse really, they could have given me a Vauxhall.

Just wasn't quite what I was expecting when they told me I had a 2017 Mini Cooper.

Gave the rear brakes a strip and clean on the A6. Pads had about 5mm of material left so they should last until summer.

Was surprised how rust free all the suspension and underbody were considering it is 14 years old. Ashamed to admit though it was the first time I have had the wheels off - they required boiling water.post-4771-0-97642500-1520967095_thumb.jpg

BREAKING NEWS

Darren from Cheshire Council needs lessons on using a spirit level, they got properly hammered on Facebook for not putting the end of the level on the road surface so deleted the post

Sums up councils these days, instead of employing a team of people to fix problems they employ one to explain why they don't have to, twats

Twats!

Sent from my HUAWEI M2-A01W using Tapatalk

I found some bloody enormous potholes on the M11 last night. The motor I was in has 80 aspect 15" van tyres and soft suspension so must be one of the lesser affected, but I dread to think what it's like in something modern and sporty. Its also unfair on Bond drivers, the poor little buggers must have a job to climb out of some the holes I've hit.

attachicon.gifimages.jpeg

Look at my post in the grumpy thread!

Yep it is indeed a Valver. Here is a shot of it's best side:

2vl5m4m.jpg

Needs a lot of welding so looks like a big project or spares car unfortunately.

Mk1 Renault 19 16v alloys I believe. I have an immaculate set in the garage gathering dust. The hub caps are worth more than the alloys!!

further mini news....

i've been and tried the new, or NOS flasher relay thing in the mini.

flasher operation on the drivers side, seems to be as required.

flasher operation on the passenger side..... less so.

bollocks!!

fiddling with the wiring onto the tell-tale on the binical (cos we've not covered up the bulkhead hole) seemed to improve the operation of the n/s indicators.

so, googling suggests that non-operating fuel gauge and tempreture gauges could be down to a failled voltage stabilizer on the back of the speedo. plus the wiring on th eback of the binacle is a rats nest....

double bollocks...... the last thing i wanted to do is get into that wiring, it looks like i now will have to (or i find some poor sap that i can farm it out to)

Been to the garage to get the tyre inflator thing out of the boot of BIG dollop and I am appalled at the state of the car/garage, may as well not have a roof at all for all the good it's doing. Car is soaking yet again and looks dreadful. It's got to go (the garage, maybe the car as well) so I need to know if there is a market for large garage items: compressor, welder, stuff like that?

Yes what are you wanting to part with?

Guest Hooli

Picked up the hire car today. As it wasn't my fault I got a like for like replacement.

The guy on the phone said it's a Mini Cooper. Cool I thought, something mildly interesting (better than an Astra...). "I wonder if it was a 5 door or 3 door?" passed through my mind. Then had a fright "Ohhh no, I hope it's not one of those enormous Clubman things!?!".

No. It wasn't. Far, far worse than that.

4afd7ad57da347f5e195a1bb66f625ec.jpg

When you close the doors, it does this...

6189f09ed1ddc04d79f25fc2faa896dc.jpg

Anyone got a balaclava that I can borrow for 7 days?

I'm genuinely fearful that my wife may really want one after driving it. :?

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

How bloody tacky is that light by the door????? Just when I thought they couldn't ruin the mini name any further!

Yep, the light on the door makes your whole ordeal even worse! I can imagine it now, you've nipped out to get pez, station is heaving, you already feel like a massive tit, unlock it to jump in and run and that thing shines out like a massive batman signal of woman.

Put some tape over it?

Ken Dodd 'goes green'! lol

His coffin will be fully environmentally biodegradable & green*

*they are using all the Green £1 notes found stuffed in his mattress

Tax dodging twunt

My dislike of this thievery runs to footballers/entertainers/e businesses + others Grrr

TS

And yet he was found to be NOT GUILTY in an English Court of Law, so perhaps give him the benefit of the doubt now he is dead?

Unless you have evidence of further wrong doings with the diddymen ?  

Just walked the dog and apart from dodging the council gritters I noticed a new, unregistered Mini Clubman thing on the back of a delivery truck. Not an unusual site, but apart from the mirror thing SIC has posted I noticed the red flashing immobaliser / bugger off light. Not only is there one inside, there's also one built into the shark fin on the roof.

Have BMW finally realised that they have bloated the old girl so much a parked one is in danger of being hit by low flying aircraft?