Dollywobbler's Invacar - Ongoing

dollywobbler

Yes, it should run, but the timing might be set for a higher octane. I've tried several choke positions and don't have any Easy Start. I've never used the stuff.

Timing for octane/unleaded shouldn't matter for starting, it only tends to show up as pinking under load.

I'd be expecting to need to strip the carb as I bet the jets are gummed up.

Sadly the house where Douglas lived is about 500m from where I type. It is now demolished and an old people’s home exists.

In Bagshot? That wasn't his house. It was 'The Pantiles' TeaRoom, the place he first me his future wife, Thelma.

http://www.bagshotvillage.org.uk/know/pantiles.shtml

I have one of these.

DQ17NuhX0AAtN39.jpg

It is 2 degrees in the garage. It may not get fitted today...

I'd be really interested to know how you get on with that. I've thought about making my own and then saw that for like £30. For that sort of money, if it's reliable then it doesn't make sense to make my own.

As it keeps the existing points, if it does fail, it's very easy to swap back to straight points. I believe that's what the switch on the side is for? Using it means that the points should last so much longer. Like 70k+ longer. Also should mean that cheaper point contacts, that most now seem to be, should become acceptable.

For others who don't know what it is, it basically makes almost electronic ignition but without having semiconductor devices in an area of hot and electrical noise (distributor). I also wonder if fitting an electronic ignition into a distributor too would mean that electronic ignition unit lasts longer. I've always been suspicious of them as apart from reports of failures, they never look big enough to fit decent drive electronics in. Where as an external ignition amplifier like that should be much more rugged. Fits between the coil and the points. Should be something easy enough to fit on most cars.

Not really a new invention. Car manufacturers used it (termed TAI - Transistor Assisted Ignition) for a while before electronic pickups, then finally full electronic ignition came available.

Not a bad price either too: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F391439313553

Is it a review unit?

I'd be really interested to know how you get on with that. I've thought about making my own and then saw that for like £30. For that sort of money, if it's reliable then it doesn't make sense to make my own.

As it keeps the existing points, if it does fail, it's very easy to swap back to straight points. I believe that's what the switch on the side is for? Using it means that the points should last so much longer. Like 70k+ longer. Also should mean that cheaper point contacts, that most now seem to be, should become acceptable.

For others who don't know what it is, it basically makes almost electronic ignition but without having semiconductor devices in an area of hot and electrical noise (distributor). I also wonder if fitting an electronic ignition into a distributor too would mean that electronic ignition unit lasts longer. I've always been suspicious of them as apart from reports of failures, they never look big enough to fit decent drive electronics in. Where as an external ignition amplifier like that should be much more rugged. Fits between the coil and the points. Should be something easy enough to fit on most cars.

Not really a new invention. Car manufacturers used it (termed TAI - Transistor Assisted Ignition) for a while before electronic pickups, then finally full electronic ignition came available.

Not a bad price either too: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F391439313553

Is it a review unit?

Hmm interesting as I'll be replacing the Daf setup with electronic at some point.

Could you use this with a powerspark system in the distributor hence going fully electric?

I thought with a system like this you could completely do away with the condenser because that side of the circuit is taken care of by the electronics?

No, the Electronic aspect of it simply sorts out the switching and eliminates the issue with burning of points, (which causes poor current flow, alters the timing etc..)  The condenser is still an essential part of the circuit, as without it you don't get the controlled change of magnetic field in the coil, and hence the spark will be pants.

Even modernz still have a condenser buried somewhere in the circuit.

I'm wondering if its simply a lack of electricity, if you only have a selection of half dead batteries all the juice is going to the starter and not going to leave enough to go to the plugs,just a thought.A spark with the plug out doesn't always translate to a spark under compression inside the engine.

Very true. A strobe timing lamp, with the pickup clipped to each HT lead in turn can be useful to determine whether plugs are actually firing under compression (for whatever reason). Also note that some electronic ignition kits can be sensitive to low battery voltage, although I take your point about the Nippa.

YES!

DRBH-62X4AAdWoQ.jpg

Not all that clear there, but it is running. Blew the exhaust into pieces pretty much immediately. It's going to be an awesome next video!

Awesome! Great progress there.

How is the Lexarse? ;)

Edit: just seen that attempted fixage was done on that too

So when is the video coming?

Hopefully tomorrow. The Invacar was one ray of light in a day of fail, which sadly included broadband being fitted. The engineer's van broke down at one point, so he couldn't get back to fix the job. Then he got a jump start, came back and the cable that has been installed doesn't work...

It's a big video by my standards. It's going to take some uploading! That may be it for the project until the New Year though. I've got so much work I need to do before Christmas. That's not far away now...