dollywobbler

Dollywobbler's Invacar - Ongoing

Thanks for sharing that, really interesting to see.  Definitely looking to get a new set of pulleys for TPA with a view to refurbishing the ones currently in use.

Thanks for being so complimentary of TPA too...

Had to laugh when you hit the queue on the A422 on the way onto the A5 from Buckingham...that bit always gets choked up.

Really appreciate you taking the time to edit it all together into one video that flows well...that must have taken nearly as long as the driving.

that was truly epic to watch :)

thank you for the awesome video content and keep up the good work :)

im very happy to see TWC running properly finally, and that she handles London traffic pretty well

(especially as thats what I will have to deal with in my own future Model 70!)

2 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Really enjoyed the video today.  Makes me wonder what is next for TWC? I may rewatch later to see if you mentioned anything :) 

im not sure what he plans trips wise

but he mentioned a page back or 2 that he plans to go over TWCs suspension and other mechanical bits, as the engine is leaking a bit of oil, and the dampers are not really damping anymore, oh and obviously have a look at the diff at some point I imagine!

Just now, LightBulbFun said:

im not sure what he plans trips wise

but he mentioned a page back or 2 that he plans to go over TWCs suspension and other mechanical bits, as the engine is leaking a bit of oil, and the dampers are not really damping anymore, oh and obviously have a look at the diff at some point I imagine!

I vote he gets low rider suspension from that chap he visited.

oh thats very cool! you dont happen to have a link to the video do you? :)

also an SPU-K Invacar Model 70, bloody hell thats an early Model 70, do you know that ones reg? its even older then TWC!

(Stuart wanted me to try and find the VIN number of  an SPU-K car, but sadly the examples he gave me had not survived until 2001, so I was not able to look it up, however I was able bash the DVLA checker a while back and pulled up SPU860K which survived until 2004! and grab its chassis number, so then its just a case of walking backwards or forwards to figure out the other SPU-Ks chassis number :) )

its also the first time I have seen a picture of a K reg Invacar Model 70 aside from TWC, so also the first time I have seen an Invacar Model 70 on white on black plates :)

(up until now I have just seen a few AC Model 70 examples on white on black plates)

TWC has been parked up at my new unit for a few weeks now, gently pissing oil all over the new floor in protest. I went over for 2CV fettling today.

D-IwFA1XYAEq3OE.jpg

That turned into one of the UTTER BALLACHE sessions where even changing an inline fuel filter is a pain in the arse. To cheer myself up, I decided to get TWC out for a run (after a jump start). 

It went well.*

D-KF2VbX4AE4kse.jpg

A sudden chuffing sound and loss of power suggested a pretty obvious problem. Yeah, she'd spat out a spark plug, which then dragged on the ground while the HT lead merrily melted away on the hot exhaust. FFS!

Because it was a slightly unplanned local foray, I had no tools. There was no mobile reception. I could not touch the spark plug because it was too hot. MEGAFFS!

Eventually, I hit on the idea of soaking my fingers with screenwash and transferring moisture to the plug. That worked, and I was then able to move the plug to the jet for extra cooling. It wasn't good. The electrode was now touching. I bent it sort-of back with a house key. It didn't want to go back in the head mind, even after liberally applying engine oil. I'd get what felt like about two threads in and it just stopped. I tried driving like this. I didn't get very far. Screenwash fingers, lube it up, have another go. Not much further.

Then I tried just driving it on one cylinder, but that was a struggle. She could barely move. I jumped out so I could push and operate the throttle and we managed to get up one hill. The next one was bigger and on a busier road. SOD THAT.

So, back to trying to straighten out the spark plug by dragging it on the ground and trying to clean the threads up with a random stone like some sort of Bear Grylls for shit old cars. Amazingly, this did improve the situation, though I did not dare give her more than about 10% throttle. Sorry folk stuck behind me! I dare not stop and yes I am climbing this hill at 10mph.

Managed to get back to my unit eventually. Thankfully, I'd done a lot of hill climbing so it was mostly downhill on the run back. Phew.

Had to then carry on with the 2CV, so TWC has been left to think about what she's done. If I'm lucky, a Helicoil will work (I may actually have some Timeserts somewhere). If not, I guess the engine will be coming out for more major surgery (and maybe address the oil leaks...)

Just a normal day then really.

Just now, busmansholiday said:

Fuck me, that's not what you want, at least your local roads are quiet unlike most of us.

Has TWC problems  anything to do with that haircut you're had?

I am a bit worried that I've gone all Sansom. That's two breakdowns in two days... (though it outside assistance isn't required, is it actually a breakdown?)

Shit! that's exactly what you dont want on an ally block engine! I wonder why the spark plug was spat out (could of it been lose or something?)

thankfully these engines are fairly modular like a 2CV engine IIRC, so I think you should be able to rob the head(s) off TWCs original engine (or just transfer entire pistons barrels and heads in one big go!)

although this would be a good excuse for a 650cc upgrade no? :mrgreen:

im really hoping to get my hands on these 2 books and get them properly digitised which I imagine will come in quite handy now! (thankfully the current PDF we all have does go into detail on engine disassembly etc)

image.thumb.png.7220e479d49263df17d527d3e6b22b7a.png

one thing I will say,  dont forget to clean the melted HT lead residue off the exhaust you dont want that reacting and causing rust issues

Yeah, handy having a spare engine for sure! Elly's current engine has heads from all over the place (due to various faults, not just stripped threads). 

No idea why the plug came out. Because I've owned 2CVs, I'm certainly careful not to overtighten the plugs. As I've discovered before though, aluminium can be very fragile.

38 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

Fuck me, that's not what you want, at least your local roads are quiet unlike most of us.

Has TWC problems  anything to do with that haircut you're had?

TWC probably didn't recognise him with short hair.

I 'm glad to hear that you managed to get back to the unit. 

Have never had a car spit plugs out.

I did have fun for a while with a 500cc single cylinder Honda trials bike which used to spit the entire central portion of the plug out regularly because the compression ratio was so stupidly high though.  You just learned to keep two spare plugs with you at all times.

It would be interesting to see what state the head is in... she's always sounded like she idles off a cylinder so I do wonder if a leaky thread around that plug may have had something to do with that.

Between the just generally rougher sounding running, oil leaks and now this, I do have to wonder if that engine has suffered some chronic abuse in its small number of miles...The one in TP despite having ~30K on the clock and having spent some of that being a caravan tug, doesn't leak a drop of oil*, if generally quieter (exhaust note excepted) and seemed to be full of far less gunk based on what turned up in the oil pickup strainer...You do have to wonder what their respective histories are...

*Okay, that's a lie... there's a small leak from the sump plug itself at present...but I don't count that as a fault of the engine and a fresh copper washer will no doubt sort it.

Oddly. it always sounded a bit one-cylindery even on the old engine. The engine in TP also hasn't had my ham-fisted attemps at fettling. ;)

I will investigate, I just can't say when. The unit isn't particularly close to home, and with the Croatia 2CV trip now just a week away, the 2CV really is the focus.

Our old vw bus spat a plug whilst in France, cue a scene worthy of allo allo where I spoke loudly and slowly in English and a delightful gentleman mechanic summoned his mate who spoke loudly and slowly in French. Entente cordially was reached, a shit load of araldite applied and blighty was achieved, albeit at a somewhat reduced pace. Je suis amour le francais (sadly that is my entire repertoire but it’s got me far in the past)