dollywobbler

Dollywobbler's Invacar - Ongoing

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

The Dartford crossing should be nice and scary. That's quite a climb, but it'll be a major achievement. Have considered taking a crossing within the M25, but I'm really not sure I fancy that, even if it would give potential for some amazing 'tourist' shots. Not that I'm sure it's possible to stop anywhere with a nice backdrop these days.

Bloody hell Ian, rather you than me! I get the fear going over it in a normal car (not a liker of heights - I get a nosebleed with thick socks). Can't think of anywhere you could get a shot from without a very long lens but a tracking shot from another car would work.

9 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Good shout. If any London shiters are interested, Thursday is the Essex to Sussex day.

not sure if your doing this just to tease me at this point! :mrgreen: Can you make a quick detour to where I live please? :mrgreen:

27 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

not sure if your doing this just to tease me at this point! :mrgreen: Can you make a quick detour to where I live please? :mrgreen:

Last time I went your way, the sky was blue due to the number of Police lights. There was a siege going on, so even more lively than usual! It's certainly possible if I decide to avoid Dartford. I hate Dartford, so it kind of makes sense to give it the swerve.

I can be available to assist/shadow from 4pm onwards on Thursday if that's any good?  Anywhere in SE London or out towards the M25 and down to Sussex.

I can't take a full leave day unfortunately as annoyingly I've got a work project that starts on Thursday.  I imagine you'll want to be out of London by late afternoon though.

I actually feel nervous thinking about you doing this trip.

It's all a bit mad but then also very HubNut. Can't wait to see the footage.

Very best of luck

Ben

On 5/12/2019 at 2:44 PM, dollywobbler said:

The Dartford crossing should be nice and scary. That's quite a climb, but it'll be a major achievement. Have considered taking a crossing within the M25, but I'm really not sure I fancy that, even if it would give potential for some amazing 'tourist' shots. Not that I'm sure it's possible to stop anywhere with a nice backdrop these days.

I wonder if anyone has ever taken an invacar on the Woolwich ferry? 

Woo!

some very very cool shots there :)

tis really cool to see the pair together again and driving together! I wonder how many people would think that would happen!

I hope DW got a chance to take TPA for a spin, and the same for Zel and TWC :)

(wife swap, Model 70 edition! :mrgreen: )

57 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

Awesome to see these two together.  They have Come along way from sitting in that field. 

Im fairly local to Milton Keynes in dunstable,I work in a motor factors aswell should you need anything. Shitters discount applied 😁

Have you got any Invacar transmissions in stock? I fear TWC's is ever so far from healthy. Driving TPA was a bit of a revelation...

43 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Have you got any Invacar transmissions in stock? I fear TWC's is ever so far from healthy. Driving TPA was a bit of a revelation...

If we did you would have been the first person I'd call 😁

We do have cable ties, duct tape and a kettle. 

Was the gearbox really That big of a difference? 

Yeah, TWC's sounds like mechanical carnage. There's a bit of me hoping it's just some strange resonance being set off somewhere as I'm not prepared to think too much about what could be broken. We did check the diff oil earlier and it was rather silvery...

1 hour ago, Andyrew said:

If we did you would have been the first person I'd call 😁

We do have cable ties, duct tape and a kettle. 

Was the gearbox really That big of a difference? 

My gut feeling following a brief shot of TWC is that the diff is quite unhappy.  Don't reckon it's the actual gearbox.

Think early 90s Transit back axle howl.

What I don't know is how long it's been like that...and what sounds like hell in as tiny and lacking in sound insulation car as an Invacar could well be very much background noise in a normal car...and diffs can often go on for a long while while making a heck of a racket.  That's my untrained in anything other than "messing about with cars and buses since I was old enough to hold a spanner."

Love those photos of them driving in convoy.  Was really interesting to drive TWC for comparison.  Aside from the obvious grumbling drive the obvious differences are that TPA feels generally more eager, the 10" wheels on TPA make her feel more stable in a straight line, engine wise TWC is a lot quieter, I really hadn't realised how flipping loud TPA's exhaust is.  Brakes feel very similar in terms of amount of braking force Vs pressure applied, so I reckon mine will be just fine once the new master cylinder is on there.  Throttle control is far lighter, though that's not a surprise as my twist grip is quite bodged just now.  Oh, and the straight indicator stalk is way less awkward than the cranked one I have.  It's surprising how different they feel in less easily quantified ways too... they're definitely two cars with very different characters.

Real shame there's no 'proper' weekend Essex museum meet, similar to the Lakeland one. That looked GR8 but was prohibitively far for a lot of us. The same could have worked really well at the Castle Point transport museum.

But a midweek visit at 8pm at the Festival Leisure Park!? Sounds like just a token gesture.

Sorry.

11 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

do you know why TPAs transmission gear selector is sized?

if you can free that off then its worth throwing into TWC and see if anything improves?

(it would also get you a "new" Diff) granted the diff in these are just normally Fiat units, I wonder if you could fit some fancy LSD one or something :mrgreen:

but otherwise very cool stuff! I hope theres some nice video action for me to ogle at :D

1 hour ago, Angrydicky said:

Real shame there's no 'proper' weekend Essex museum meet, similar to the Lakeland one. That looked GR8 but was prohibitively far for a lot of us. The same could have worked really well at the Castle Point transport museum.

But a midweek visit at 8pm at the Festival Leisure Park!? Sounds like just a token gesture.

Sorry.

Well the main problem is that I'm not going to be in Essex at a weekend. Terribly sorry to disappoint you...

10 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Well the main problem is that I'm not going to be in Essex at a weekend. Terribly sorry to disappoint you...

That's quite obvious. Not having a go, I just think it seems a bit of a shame and a missed opportunity.

Made it to Basildon last night, but by heck does the transmission sound awful! I'm wondering if the chain has become slack - it's that sort of a horrific noise, as if it's bouncing off the chain case. Hope to investigate later.

But first, we plan to visit the old Greeves factory sight, as that was the main point of this trip. I'll report back later.

I will say my buttock muscles are worn out, from the severe clenching on the A13 last night. Many miles of flyovers with no hard shoulder and a sick Invacar in heavy traffic!

Made it to Basildon last night, but by heck does the transmission sound awful! I'm wondering if the chain has become slack - it's that sort of a horrific noise, as if it's bouncing off the chain case. Hope to investigate later.
But first, we plan to visit the old Greeves factory sight, as that was the main point of this trip. I'll report back later.
I will say my buttock muscles are worn out, from the severe clenching on the A13 last night. Many miles of flyovers with no hard shoulder and a sick Invacar in heavy traffic!
Surprised you're not walking funny from carrying your balls of steel....

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk