Annual Migration - The Ongoing Adventures of a 740

rml2345

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So this went for MOT at the start of March and... Failed. Only on a ball joint, TRE and some redundant wiring needing tidied but it's the first time it's no passed for me. Since it was there I had the garage do it as the last time I did a ball joint on this thing it was an absolute pig. 

20210319_144238.thumb.jpg.54803dca01a7bac9c5c0b5b560d379bc.jpg

• 4 months later...

So as many of you may have noticed, I dragged this auld tub to Festival of the Unexceptional last weekend where it wasn't even the shonkiest car in attendance. 

Thanks to a tipoff from @juular, four brand new Bosch injectors had been bought and I spent a jolly Scottish summer afternoon fitting then and generally tidying the old bus up.

In other words I got fucking soaked. 

20220726_090501.thumb.jpg.5197704f04e87c0af2398b7d4c4c0e28.jpg

That used to be an alternator mount.

20220728_141906.thumb.jpg.f9036c76cce65ce5c986063b4d850940.jpg

Old and New injectors.

Unfortunately despite the extensive* preparations the trip was not without incident. Somewhere on the A1 north of Grantham it decided to jettison the entire nearside indicator/sidelight unit. Bulb holders, the lot. Of course I had no idea of this until stopping at Grantham North services for a pee and to find out which indicator bulb had blown.

Arse.

So it was a desperate double back and search along 10 miles or so of A1 that I'd just traversed but quickly gave up hope of ever seeing it again.

Then spotted it in a lay-by, miraculously mostly intact. Even the bulbs had survived it's 60mph sojourn into the scenery. Duly reunited it was a quick blat to Peterborough and rendezvous with the other Scottish contingent.

And thus to the show.

20220730_093328.thumb.jpg.1264bdd93e9f261f7df0175080520a4a.jpg

More bad news though. @Skizzer, who was following in convoy noticed a worrying lack of brake lights. Sure enough it turned out the brake light switch had died and there was no prospect of getting a replacement in a field full of 80s cars. Not without being noticed anyway...

However thanks to the combined knowledge and assistance of Autoshite, and some wires kindly supplied by @blackboilersuit I was able to wire the brake lights up to the foglight switch instead of just living in Lincolnshire for the rest of eternity.

New switch and we're back in business.

20220731_120309.thumb.jpg.5b341dd6a36ea4f1b60d8e54144ed1d9.jpg

On the plus side, it averaged about 35mpg over 680 odd miles. Handy as I'm going on holiday in it next week.

Wish me luck. 

I do indeed Mrs6C, its been on the "To do" list for a while. Until recently I was under the impression that the system would need stripped and all the seals replaced to take the new type gas but that's no longer the case. Would need to get it pressure tested next to see if it's actually still gas tight right enough.