Annual Migration - The Ongoing Adventures of a 740

rml2345

My old 244 started off in Cornwall, stayed there from new in 79 only coming to Hampshire in 2003. I sold it in 2008 and it went to London for a few months then to... Scotland! Where it still is.

The old 740 saloon I had started in Luton, then came down to Hampshire. When I sold it it went up to Northumberland. Which is basically Scotland but minus the haggis. It’s still up there as far as I know.

The current one was new to Bristol and stayed there and the Bath area it’s whole life before coming down here. It’ll be the last one in England I expect before long!

I might be the exception here, at least for the foreseeable.. My 164 has a Berkshire reg but was sold new by these chapspost-26064-0-39869400-1544521742_thumb.jpg

(Apologies for shit picture) but it's been in Suffolk since about 1985.The 740 was new down here too and hasn't travelled far. post-26064-0-95271200-1544522054_thumb.jpg

Well done on getting that though, I really fancied it but don't need it and nowhere to put it. Like that ever stopped anyone

YUSS. I have to try one of these at some point.

You really do. 2.3 autos are probably the best all rounder they did but the manuals are nice too. Getting expensive for tidy ones alas as they've finally reached classicdom.

Many many thanks go to CMS for his efforts in sorting it out.

Looking great!!! :-)

Other things I have remembered about this car...

It has dealer-fitted A/C - we never tried it and I suspect it's long out of gas, but it's worth checking / fettling to work when the warmer weather comes...

The handsome tailgate is from a 960 and we never had a key for its lock. It works OK on the central locking/unlocking, but if you have the opportunity to change the lock for one with a key, off the cms206 scrap car, then that might be a good thing to do...

You probably know this but if the AC has been empty 'forever' change the dryer immediately before gassing it up, or it'll struggle like hell in hot weather due to moisture in the system.

You probably know this but if the AC has been empty 'forever' change the dryer immediately before gassing it up, or it'll struggle like hell in hot weather due to moisture in the system.

Had no idea, cheers for that! I did wonder about the AC system, will add that to the list of things to investigate/mend at a later date.

The dryer is just a pot of those desiccant crystals so with it open to air due to a leak they stop working. If I'd known before getting the Saab regassed I'd have changed it on that too. Dryers are about £25 or so it seems so not a lot extra. The manual for my Jag says do it within 5mins of regassing or it fills with moisture etc

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on the migrated 740 estate? Ii's the ideal car for collecting the Christmas tree, shopping, presents etc.

It broke down on route to test! All the test work was completed at SVM HQ but a hot running issue rapidly developed from a minor inconvenience to a refuses to run when hot.

Hoping to squeeze in a Christmas Eve test tomorrow if we've got it fit again.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It broke down on route to test! All the test work was completed at SVM HQ but a hot running issue rapidly developed from a minor inconvenience to a refuses to run when hot.

Hoping to squeeze in a Christmas Eve test tomorrow if we've got it fit again.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It could be a bit grumpy when warm coming up but I put it down to the holey exhaust. Glad it didn't quit!

Fingers crossed for tomorrow...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is what £120 odd in ignition bits looks like...

post-4786-0-03538000-1547845191_thumb.jpg

Which will hopefully allow me to get a tune out of this on Sunday. Bonus thermostat to fit as well as the current one might be a bit lazy. Or the pod is telling lies but I've a spare one of those to bring too.

Probably a bit late to say but I'm pretty sure (Would have to check my receipts) that genuine Bosch/Volvo dizzy cap and rotor arm came in at £65 from the dealers when I did them 6 months ago and NKG plugs and Prospark leads were £30 from ECP using one of their perpetual discount codes.

Might be worth checking and if needed sending some stuff back/changing to genuine unless there're other bits there that I've missed?

I actually love the colour/look of this one and would much rather have had a 740 rather than a 940 given a choice, dibs if/when you decide to sell would be hugely appreciated ;)

So yesterday I journeyed to SVM headquarters in the pissing rain armed with some bits and a rough idea of what was wrong to try and get a tune out of this. Upon arrival I was greeted with a total non start.

Ah, that'll be the ICU!

post-4786-0-27404400-1548078171_thumb.jpg

A call to Andy_CMS let me borrow the Council estate's for an easy diagnosis.

No.

Turns out the battery was a bit flat.

So hooked up to the ever reliable 850 and turned it over. A lot of churning and a backfire but no start.

A known good coil had been tried previously and a brand new one unsurprisingly had the same affect so it was out with the 1/4 inch socket set and the horrible job of removing the dizzy cap.

Upon removal it was full of oil and the arm itself didn't look took clever either so both were replaced. It does mean that the distributor shaft seals are probably gubbed (a common Redblock problem) so that'll go on the to do list. In addition to that all the HT leads were replaced and...

Success!

Car started after minimal cranking. Then cut out.

Bother.

With use of both feet I took it a wee run up the private lane but it was clear it wasn't happy, like it was starved of fuel. Poking at various relays commenced but with light and enthusiasm fading fast I went for one last start attempt.

This was the result.