purplebargeken Posted December 13, 2015 Author Posted December 13, 2015 I am sure there was some kind of 'armour' sticker in the back window. May have had a rhino on it. Maybe.
Ben_O Posted December 13, 2015 Posted December 13, 2015 I am sure there was some kind of 'armour' sticker in the back window. May have had a rhino on it. Maybe.I'm sure my old sapphire GLSI had a matt grey/black finish under bonnet (car was silver) Are you going to keep it like that or go White?
purplebargeken Posted December 13, 2015 Author Posted December 13, 2015 I would prefer white but it depends on the hassle factor.
bigfella2 Posted December 13, 2015 Posted December 13, 2015 I would personally leave it if has been treated from new, explains why the car is still here after 32 years and not bean cans I like 99% of other Sierra's are.
Bren Posted December 13, 2015 Posted December 13, 2015 Has it been ziebarted? Ford just used primer inside many engine bays.
purplebargeken Posted December 13, 2015 Author Posted December 13, 2015 Thought it was just paint but not 100% sure now. I will have a proper look at the sticker. Not that much room in the garage now
fordperv Posted December 13, 2015 Posted December 13, 2015 Has it been ziebarted? Ford just used primer inside many engine bays.Mk1 sierra was painted body colour in the engine bay right from the 1300L to the mighty cosworth
trigger Posted December 14, 2015 Posted December 14, 2015 As I said earlier, it will be 100% a rustproofer of some kind and should come off with thinners. Pig of a job though.
DeeJay Posted December 14, 2015 Posted December 14, 2015 This will turn into a right ballache of a job, and all the time (will seem like eternity) you spend rubbing and scrubbing, (off your tits on fumes from thinners) one thought will be going through your bonce,"Why the fuck didn't I leave it alone".
hauserplenty Posted December 14, 2015 Posted December 14, 2015 ^ If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I believe we got these as Merkurs? If not they look very much the same...
purplebargeken Posted January 1, 2016 Author Posted January 1, 2016 The bonnet is mostly sorted now as is the O/S front wing. Nice bright white and shiny again but what bloody hard work lol. Have you my recent PM's John?
JohnK Posted January 1, 2016 Posted January 1, 2016 I have mate - milling some thoughts and figures over in my busy head purplebargeken 1
purplebargeken Posted January 3, 2016 Author Posted January 3, 2016 How are those thoughts doing John Bit of an update. Spent about 5 hours at the garage today continuing to polish the bonnet, drivers side front wing and both doors. The paint is coming up really well now. Nice deep glossy shine. I will be taking the mudflaps off as there is corrosion bubbling away underneath the fasteners, etc. Not a biggie but it will need to be dealt with. A good few stone chips on the bonnet though. They should respond to some dabbed on paint from the local car paint place. Angrydicky 1
purplebargeken Posted January 17, 2016 Author Posted January 17, 2016 Still getting the paint shiny! Thinners had no effect whatsoever on the black stuff.
danthecapriman Posted January 17, 2016 Posted January 17, 2016 Pics man! We need pics! If that stuffs not shifting with thinners maybe better to leave it be? Of give it a dousing with petrol!? That might get it off but has it's own downsides.
purplebargeken Posted January 17, 2016 Author Posted January 17, 2016 I will leave the engine bay as it is but they have also painted a strip under each wheel arch lip and it looks horrible. I think I will have to sand it down and paint. Too bloody cold for that though. One side of the car is so smooth and glossy, the other is like matt paint lol. Not sure how it would show up in a pic but will try tomorrow or Tuesday.
Skizzer Posted January 17, 2016 Posted January 17, 2016 Good stuff. An early Sierra Ghia is one of the few Fords I get frisky about. I guess nobody cares what I bought then...DSC_0031.JPGI care... What car did filthyjohn buy, then?
filthyjohn Posted January 22, 2016 Posted January 22, 2016 I'll bang a thread up, been wanting to take some decent photos but the weather's been getting in the way.
trigger Posted Saturday at 19:47 Posted Saturday at 19:47 10 years later, and it's still out there! Rightnider, danthecapriman, Lord Sterling and 6 others 9
Eyersey1234 Posted 11 hours ago Posted 11 hours ago On 03/10/2026 at 20:47, trigger said: 10 years later, and it's still out there! Chodtastic Rightnider 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now