Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder: bASeman's Spot of the Year award.

BorniteIdentity

this is a great story; only catching up with it now...

My brother and his mate had a brown 81 mini 850 at the age of 14; I think they bought it for €40 off a local mini licker, who couldn't sell it due to its colour n 850 powerplant; there was a disused railway track behind our house n him n his mate used to hoon it mercilessly up n down the track; I was 18 at the time, n 6ft 4' n remember going along for a 'spin one day' with them - in the back; it was up on two wheels many times and I remember getting flung around n somehow getting warpped up n mummified in its sagging headliner...

this went on for most of a summer; the little mini took some horrendous punishment n wouldn't die; I was summoned occasionally to reattach/bodge back the front to back battery lead, n off they went hammering along the track again...

...they somehow managed to sell it to an old classmate of mine, who couldn't drive, but wanted to restore the car; money was exchanged but he decided to leave it at ours for a few weeks n visit for a hoon as a passenger at the weekends, bringing along s can of petrol with him...

...eventually I towed it to his place with the auld fellas sierra, about a half hr before I was due to get the bus to college... ...Id say it long gone!"!

Best of luck with the collection caper; I'll be watching with great interest!!

Truck ahoy.

attachicon.gifA0C73359-E7DC-4338-8525-262C2F26F6CC.jpeg

Heading off early tomorrow as the garage are insistent that the truck is back by 3.30pm. Now to break that news to our helpers. Hoping to be at the car at 0930 (!)

Still happy to help if needed, I'm quite an early bird these days anyhow, just let me know either way.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

That's a bit posh! It'll go on fine. It will probably bottom out a bit when the back of the truck drops down but take some bits of wood to put under the Mini wheels and it'll be fine!

Posh AF. Got a remote control winch AND a beacon!

I was deeply, deeply interested in towing it by Sherpa, and am so grateful to Beep for the offer. But, it’s a long way from his and I don’t like being a pain in the arse.

Actually, I do - but that’s another story.

Thanks again for all the support and help; it’s been overwhelming!

Meh,  I just see it as an excuse to get out of the house on a Sunday morning and dribble over another old motor. 

This is the boot of my car now in anticipation of moving a v smoll  car from a v smoll garage.......

post-5550-0-52684100-1549141536_thumb.jpg

I had to stop myself from getting carried away and bringing the big tools.

In all seriousness. I am sure that there is not an individual on this site that wouldn't go as far as they sensibly could to help you and yours with the recovery and restoration of this vehicle. Which in my opinion is...

This place etc.

Going to live tweet a bit. No need to copy pics over here tho, I’ll do a full write up tonight with the usual florid claptrap you’ve come to love and expect.

#AMiniMiracle

Was reading the story on the BBC News national website where it is now in the Top 10 Most Read, and thought, sure I've seen that early base model Sierra on AS recently...

Great story and hope all goes/is going well.