The Schwifty Shambolic PSA Shite Thread - 104's Arrive!

MrSchwifty

Thanks for all the kind replies people. It is a truly magnificent beast and the previous owner was extremely sad to see it go. Interestingly, he had sold it twice before and on both occasions bought it back within a year! One buyer moved with it to France and the guy got the train all the way out to get it back....... I keep expecting him at the door at any moment. 

It is a truly wonderful thing to drive - it handles far better than it has any right to, with quick and precise steering. Body roll is surprisingly well controlled and you forget the sheer size of it when bumbling along. Whilst its no Citroen, it wafts along in a way no modern car can. In short, its an 80's Peugeot and therefore its pretty much motoring perfection........!!!!  It's slow as hell, but I'm hoping a decent service and a carb rebuild will help to get it back to its best. Really looking forward to getting a look inside that XN1, its an engine that has been on my want list for a while! 

The plan is for a sympathetic refurb/restore - concourse just isn't my thing. Yellow headlights and french style pressed plates are a must, and the deep section tyres will be staying as they are utterly intrinsic to the ride quality - the wheels may get powder coated a white/cream though! Any further styling suggestions welcome. 

Up next, the 305 GTX estate thread and the 205 Dturbo thread - yes there is a Peugeot theme here! 

Are there any fellow shite owners in the Oxfordshire area by the way? 

Excellent shiting sir. My grandpa bought one of these new in 1984, albeit a GR Familiale. In Beige. He gave it to my dad in 1987 when he emigrated to Spain, taking our Avenger all the way to Malaga. Being that age it had the earlier (and IMO more elegant) dashboard.

By the time my dad sold it to for export to Africa in 1996 it had reached in excess of 155k (when the odometer failed), we estimated 170k on the clock when it needed its 2nd clutch changing, hence reason for selling. This was the first car I worked on seriously, remember there being loads of room under the bonnet. I think I was about 10 or 11 years old when I did my first unsupervised basic engine service on it.

I can't remember if it was the XN1A or the Douvrin lump in it though as I was told "never need to set the valves on this engine".

It was a massively reliable car for my parents, helped many family friends move house, very comfy for a 6ft+ teenager to learn to drive in; shame it started dissolving.

Not on my dream list but if I was offered one at a sensible price I'd consider it.

Love these, my old man bought a brand new one of these when I was 15 but the derv version. A great way to transport 2 adults, two teenagers, two young sprogs and an Irish Wolfhound in comfort with all that space available. IIRC he was looking at buying an Espace Quadra but didn't want to stretch to it so we ended up with the 505.

My enduring memory is just how much car is behind you until it's sideways across a smooth,grassy field, happy days indeed.  :mrgreen:

I have a 82 diesel family estate in the garage and it was brilliant with a young family, dogs etc. What you could put inside was amazing and it was super relaible.  Its broken now.

Might be available in the new year to the right person

Ooo don't tempt me with a diesel! I know of another Peugeot nut who current has a 405 and is looking for more space!

Ker-ist.  I saw this on my phone earlier and it didn't really click - looking at the pictures on a computer screen it is FILTHY!  How's the deep clean coming?

I once viewed a BX that a plasterer had been using as his work car, didn't buy it....

Yea it was properly rank. I don't think it ever got hoovered by the previous owner! I've got most of the straw out of the carpet pile now, but the seats need a proper wet vac and all the plastics need a proper steam clean - so I think it will be over to the Valet guy next! 

A few more photos: 

post-26877-0-82919800-1543961141_thumb.jpg

A bit of a tidy/sort of the engine bay

post-26877-0-56584700-1543961198_thumb.jpg

The wipers had seemed a bit slow on the drive down to Somerset, so as the scuttle panel needed to be re-painted and the lichen removed from the plastic cover, I decided to take a peak underneath and see whats what.

post-26877-0-91504400-1543961290_thumb.jpg

Luckily, no tin worm to speak of - some waxoyl will be applied to the areas where water pools though. 

post-26877-0-32149900-1543961358_thumb.jpg

Mercifully the scuttle panel was solid, just a bit of surface crust. So that will be stripped and repainted shortly.  The wiper mechanism though.....

post-26877-0-17658700-1543961457_thumb.jpg

Ja, ist kaput! 

The spindles were so stiff I couldnt turn them without the use of mole grips! I am amazed the bracket hadn't bent and twisted itself to bits as it was wafer thin in places. Beyond saving, a replacement must be tracked down. 

post-26877-0-85227900-1543961585_thumb.jpg

After this bit of disappointment, I decided to cheer myself up bu the giving the outside a bit of a de-gunk. I have found dairy bleach (hypochlorite) to be extremely effective at killing off and removing moss, lichen, algae etc without damaging trim - watered down by at least 10:1 of course! So this was done, and then a quick wash 'n wax to see where we were at with the paint. There is unfortunately extensive lacquer peel, but she comes up ok. 

post-26877-0-22394400-1543961855_thumb.jpg

More to follow soon. I have tracked down a spare, less rusty, wiper mechanism bracket. This has rust as well, but in different places so hopefully I can combine the two to make one good one!

Cheers for now. 

This is a really lovely thing, I'm thrilled that we have one on the collective fleet. Base spec for added perviness as well, so it should fit in well here. It looks very straight, too, certainly more so than my 605 which is six years your 505's junior.

You don't hang about either, do you? Pretty please, keep us posted.

No idea, its pretty much covered with brambles etc and very difficult to see from the road. Its bright red which makes me think it’s a GL or GR, not a GTi, so its probably on steels. But I think it belongs to a local hoarder/farmer type, so probably extremely difficult to buy it or any bits off it anyway!

In the past I've had a 404 and a 504 estate. A mate, around the same time

as I had my 504, had a 505 estate that I coveted but he outright said he 

wouldn't sell it. He had a family that was a small tribe, 7 skids and a wife. 

So understandable. Didn't stop me asking him, every time I saw him, 

if he wanted to sell it.

Proper chariot MrSchwifty. Well jealous. From a 305 owners perspective.

Love a 505, i had one identical to this maybe 5 years ago, it was formerly owned by the Venezuelan embassy in london although i bought it from an chap in West Oxfordshire, i drove it around my neck of the woods (Headington) for and ended up getting silly money for it via an african chap on Ebay, i still love these though so look forward to seeing its progress, or even on the mean streets of Oxfordshire!

Love a 505, i had one identical to this maybe 5 years ago, it was formerly owned by the Venezuelan embassy in london although i bought it from an chap in West Oxfordshire, i drove it around my neck of the woods (Headington) for and ended up getting silly money for it via an african chap on Ebay, i still love these though so look forward to seeing its progress, or even on the mean streets of Oxfordshire!

If you're in Headington, you'll definitely see it at some point as I'm based in Kidlington!

I need to hear more about this 305 GTX estate.  Am still bitterly regretting not buying a very low mileage 305 GTX saloon a few years back, one of my favourite ever cars.

Thread to follow soon. I've been wanting to get some current photos before I do a thread, due to working hours it will have to be this weekend. It's coming I promise!

What an excellent purchase!

My memory of these is a family I knew who had many children and foster children all arriving for church on a Sunday and piling out of a 505 estate.  It looked as if it was carrying at least 10 people....

But it was probably just 8... 

I've wanted one ever since.