There isn't too much wildly exciting going on at the moment because so much time is spent finishing things to the proper finished standard. This rarely results in anything worth photographing. This is the finished brake valve which is tested and ready to bolt on. You will note that there is very little difference to the one that has been junked despite soaking up many days' of effort.
And these are the mirrors. They don't look much different to the last picture although the poor No1 apprentice has been standing for hours dressing them up. They are now getting close to being buffed. The glass isn't glass because the mirros need to be convex to make them even a tiny bit useful so we were trying some plastic ones. I for one am not impressed.
And there are lots of pipes to insulate. We are good and pure and holy we don't agree with the use of artificial, man-made fibres. We only use wholesome, natural fibres for our work. .
Some pipes already insulated with Whole Earth Natu-String. I need to get some whipping twine to make a nicer job of the ends.
I got the deck finished off, well, screwed down and then spent an age rebating the end of the planks so the piece of angle iron that finishes off the deck and protects the end of the planks sits flush to the top surface. The plug cutter fell to pieces so I need to buy a new one so I can plug the screw holes and make it look pretty.
You can probably spot in that photo that the wings are sort of held in place too. Because these waggons were converted from solids to pneumatics in period there were all sorts of ways to hold the wings on and very few of the period efforts looked very nice at all. We decided that the best thing to so was copy the brackets on the S4 because Sentinel made them so they might have made these the same. Someone who wasn't me stood for a few days TIGging these together so they looked like the ends had been forged. This is the rear one.
And this is the front one. This one needed to be a bits jinkier because you had to dodge around the chain. There needs to be a set of brackets made for the top of the wing to steady it.
The sharp eyed may also notice that in all that black another black thing has appeared. This is the chain oiler. On later ones these were cast aluminium but on the Super they were fabricated from eighth plate. This was handy because they were a doddle to make and gave No1 apprentice more experience gas welding. These are exactly as per the Sentinel design. We are just waiting for the castings of the valve body and the drip rail (which pokes out the bottom of the box)to come back from the foundry to finish them. These bits are often missing because people ran the chains until they were completely buggered and lashing around to they would be whipped off by the chains.
And the offside one. Lift the lid against the springs and swing it to the side, fill the box with oil and then drip it on the road. There will be a needle valve to control the flow of oil and to shut them off. Note also the offside wing brackets are there too.
This is the new front apron which was cut from 16swg rather than the 14 we used for the first effort. This makes it much easier to work with but isn't as fragile as the original spec of 18 gauge. The inside face has just been painted because access it not good once it is on. Now we need to fit this (again) then the work of making the cheek plates can start again. Underneath the apron plate is the 10 sheets of 1mm sheet steel for cladding the sides of the body. Whoopee.
And after probably getting on some sort of watch list because we bought so much gun blue this is the cladding getting somewhere near done. I don't think gun blue is really the way to blacken as much steel as this but there isn't much alternative these days (unless anyone knows better in which case speak up). It is a complete pig to photograph - well, it is if you are as crap as I am with a camera. Please note the tight fit of the cladding around the various fittings which means the shame plates can be quite small and this makes me happier. The brass band on the bottom isn't fitted yet which is why you can see the welding clamps.
Damn tight. Despite the streaky nature of the finish (which looks worse on camera than it does in the flesh) I am pleased with how this has panned out.
Most of the shame plates are back from the cutters so I'll blue these then fit them this weekend. We managed to get some period looking self tappers to fit them but the screw heads will need bluing too. This is one just sitting there to show how tight you can make things if you get someone with a plasma cutter to do the job. It would be a massive pain in the arse doing things like this by hand.
Throttle valve on for the last time and the steam pipe in. There is a bit of tin bashing required now to make a nice looking heat shield to save the skin on your knee.
This is the top piece of cladding which hasn't been blued yet. There is to be a flanged brass band around the top which hides the join between the top ring and the cladding. There is then a funny truncated conical ring that covers up the nuts and also holds the boiler top in place to make everything look real nice and purdy.
The bluing on the cladding looks really horrid in this photo. God knows why. Also I don't know why the perspex template is sittling on top of the boiler.
And that's about it. The only other thing that happened was that the motor in the tyre changer went phut which was annoying because we were changing some tyres at the time. The motor is now repaired and waiting to go back in. Top Chinese quality.