The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Father_LabRat has been fighting with his Ford Kuga for the last few months. It's a 2014 TDCI AWD 140 powershift, which in a shocking move no-one saw shat out the gearbox.  Spend £4500 on a recon box through Ford 2 months ago, had it serviced and the timing belt changed last week at £600. On Monday it starts stuttering when accelerating, which got so bad it was visibly bouncing the car yesterday and throwing transmission faults/limp mode. 

Ford have predictably said that there's nothing wrong with the recon box and it must be something else, so we'll keep it in and do some investigation, but it could be 2-3 weeks before it gets sorted as the code reader isn't showing anything wrong (Lincolnshire, so no rush for anything here!)

He's at his wits end with the damn thing, so did the AS approved option- bought another car. A 2011 Renault Laguna 3 coupe dynamique with the 2.0 DCI 150 engine. 1 giffer owner, 95k miles and full Renault service history for the princely sum of £2000. It's fucking immaculate and drives perfect, even the sat nav still works! (For now, he's well aware of Renault's electrical gremlins)

Comes to something when it feels less likely to bankrupt him than the bloody Kuga!

22 minutes ago, LabRat said:

Father_LabRat has been fighting with his Ford Kuga for the last few months. It's a 2014 TDCI AWD 140 powershift, which in a shocking move no-one saw shat out the gearbox.  Spend £4500 on a recon box through Ford 2 months ago, had it serviced and the timing belt changed last week at £600. On Monday it starts stuttering when accelerating, which got so bad it was visibly bouncing the car yesterday and throwing transmission faults/limp mode. 

Ford have predictably said that there's nothing wrong with the recon box and it must be something else, so we'll keep it in and do some investigation, but it could be 2-3 weeks before it gets sorted as the code reader isn't showing anything wrong (Lincolnshire, so no rush for anything here!)

He's at his wits end with the damn thing, so did the AS approved option- bought another car. A 2011 Renault Laguna 3 coupe dynamique with the 2.0 DCI 150 engine. 1 giffer owner, 95k miles and full Renault service history for the princely sum of £2000. It's fucking immaculate and drives perfect, even the sat nav still works! (For now, he's well aware of Renault's electrical gremlins)

Comes to something when it feels less likely to bankrupt him than the bloody Kuga!

I don't want to jinx the car, but a 2011 Laguna is well sorted. Much less likely to cause trouble than say, an Audi A5 or a BMW. Although a matter of taste, better looking than them.

IMG20230802110533.thumb.jpg.0f79994aabfb1dd7257cf854d25537bb.jpg

So a cheap little 1.5 Tsport Yaris has joined the fleet but alas the drivers side rear wheel is a bit wonky donkey.

IMG20230803172235.thumb.jpg.07c1920cdb32d19b7b46e607d992e020.jpg

An hour or so saw the rear beam dropped out revealing the corroded mess that used to be the beams O/S mounting/pivot point.

IMG20230803172321.thumb.jpg.5663c70f5ca065e572e28ddbc8690e11.jpg

N/S not too bad.

IMG20230803172345.thumb.jpg.1fc3da5f332b6c889df4a95760394a6a.jpg

O/S is absolutely jiggered.

IMG20230803192711.thumb.jpg.aac31f61407006d07068cfcefad8acf3.jpg

The beam needs a good clean up to see if it's had it or if it'll go again but the car did come with £40 worth of new mounts.

It's a real shame as the car has had a recent repaint and even the AC works fine.

IMG20230803175236.jpg

6 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

sound a bit suspicious so soon after belt change

We said the same, but Ford's "Master Technician" is adamant that the job was done correctly and that something else is the problem. It's a bloody lovely car, when it all works. There was mutterings about the high pressure fuel pump possibly breaking down, at 54k...

2 hours ago, artdjones said:

I don't want to jinx the car, but a 2011 Laguna is well sorted. Much less likely to cause trouble than say, an Audi A5 or a BMW. Although a matter of taste, better looking than them.

Aye, Renault had sorted most of its electrical gremlins by the time the Gooner Three came out.  The one I had was certainly in a different league to the Mk2s quality wise.

9 hours ago, LabRat said:

Just to echo the above, when it comes to the Laguna 3, completely disregard the dodgy reputation of the Laguna 2. The Laguna 3 is infinitely better, and actually a very good car. 

10 hours ago, LabRat said:

We said the same, but Ford's "Master Technician" is adamant that the job was done correctly and that something else is the problem. It's a bloody lovely car, when it all works. There was mutterings about the high pressure fuel pump possibly breaking down, at 54k...

I'd suspect the fuel filter (if the mileage were higher) or the fuel pressure sensor but I'm not a "Master Technician" :-) 

Yeah, that was my thought at first. Looking closer at it before it went back to the dealers, we're not sure if the recon powershift has shit itself. It seems to act up as it switches gear spools and either stutters/hiccups or looses drive and revs right up before finding a gear (with an almighty bang).  The box was reconditioned by Ford and has only done 2k since being fitted. 

I think Dad will be parting company with it regardless once it's back, he's far happier with the Laguna. To be fair, its a bloody good looking thing for £2k! 

PXL_20230804_090828939.thumb.jpg.b0cb4675c9cd39a25c4b12fc8468f89e.jpg

Really struggling to decide what to do with the cars as the ULEZ con gets ever closer.  The Estelle is still in bits on the drive and I haven't even driven it yet so that one will stay around for a while

The Panda needs MOTing then will have to look to move it on I think. To be honest it probably now needs someone with more than just an on road parking spot anyway

I thought I had got my head around the XM having to go, but having driven daily again for last few months and taken it to FoTu I realise I haven't really. However just can't justify keeping a non compliant car in the daily + odd car show role 

The Favorit is the one I am most worried about. Having rescued it from the impending scrap man and driven it 2000 miles to Monaco and back it has a special place in my heart. However, given most Favorits are mint low mileage ones pulled out of an old boys garage spec, I am not sure there is going to be a queue of people looking for a scruffy 100,000 miler

I hoped I could enjoy my last few months of having these cars but the effect of all of this on my mental and physical health is too much and the added worry of making sure the XM and the Favorit in particular go to good homes in the next few weeks is added stress. Yes I could have tried sorting it earlier but did hope someone would see sense and stop that hideous man imposing this nonsensical cruel scheme

4 hours ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

I'd suspect the fuel filter (if the mileage were higher) or the fuel pressure sensor but I'm not a "Master Technician" :-) 

I recently told a VAG master technician that a friend had needed a new camshaft set on a high mileage 1.9TDi. He said that there must be a restriction in the oil feed, as he'd never known that to happen before.😬

6 minutes ago, BeEP said:

For the second Friday morning in a row @worldofceribrought me a present...

DSCN2944.thumb.JPG.eddf80b9017758c1334066082106a229.JPG

Off road since 1989, it's totally unmolested and although it does need some welding it's not a lot by ado16 standards.  And the engine isn't seized which is a bonus!

Is that another from the 1100 classified? I did see that but I need to clear the toy cupboard before I refill with more clutter. 

2 hours ago, wesacosa said:

Really struggling to decide what to do with the cars as the ULEZ con gets ever closer.  The Estelle is still in bits on the drive and I haven't even driven it yet so that one will stay around for a while

The Panda needs MOTing then will have to look to move it on I think. To be honest it probably now needs someone with more than just an on road parking spot anyway

I thought I had got my head around the XM having to go, but having driven daily again for last few months and taken it to FoTu I realise I haven't really. However just can't justify keeping a non compliant car in the daily + odd car show role 

The Favorit is the one I am most worried about. Having rescued it from the impending scrap man and driven it 2000 miles to Monaco and back it has a special place in my heart. However, given most Favorits are mint low mileage ones pulled out of an old boys garage spec, I am not sure there is going to be a queue of people looking for a scruffy 100,000 miler

I hoped I could enjoy my last few months of having these cars but the effect of all of this on my mental and physical health is too much and the added worry of making sure the XM and the Favorit in particular go to good homes in the next few weeks is added stress. Yes I could have tried sorting it earlier but did hope someone would see sense and stop that hideous man imposing this nonsensical cruel scheme

Please organise for everyone with a none compliant car to put the V5 in a fake name and address and park it outside city Hall and set fire to it. 

THUS pissing off Khann and the climate activists in one go. 

Note. Said in jest. Don't do that. It would be wrong. 

21 minutes ago, SiC said:

Is that another from the 1100 classified? I did see that but I need to clear the toy cupboard before I refill with more clutter. 

No, not from the 1100 website (I assume you mean the one in Cumbria?).  This one was in South Wales (hence much closer to you!); initially on facebook a couple of months ago when I had a chat with the owner, then apparently 'sold' before turning up at a breakers yard and advertised on ebay.

2 minutes ago, BeEP said:

No, not from the 1100 website (I assume you mean the one in Cumbria?).  This one was in South Wales (hence much closer to you!); initially on facebook a couple of months ago when I had a chat with the owner, then apparently 'sold' before turning up at a breakers yard and advertised on ebay.

Yeah the one in Cumbria is the one I thought of. Good save.

I noticed CHT is still for sale! Still trying to resist. Price is still at a point where it's easy for me to resist at the moment. 

Haven't had a holiday for probably 3 years+, so we had a mid-week (4 night) stay in a posh lodge near Bala. Fancied taking the ML (bigger, automatic, easier drive) but would have probably cost a fortune in juice, so went in everyone's favourite* car instead.

Used to drive past this bridge every 4 weeks for about 8 years and always wanted to go over, but never got the chance to either stop or cross it. Hats off to @Iamgrootfor reminding me where it was. Managed a cheeky crossing (and straight back) which has ticked off a weird 'bucket list' that I've wanted to do for probably over 25 years now. Worth every penny of the £1 each way, we actually ended up then driving to Fairbourne, parking up then getting the mini-railway and the ferry to Barmouth, coming back on the 'proper' train train so we could go over the bigger bridge.

zafiraholidaybridgefront3reallygood.thumb.jpg.bcc6214dbb4efc597642b3c8aa5596c7.jpg

One of Britain's most loved old relics that thousands of people flock to see each week due to it's popularity. And a castle.

zafiraholidayharlech.thumb.jpg.8a009ae05f00e22ad22b1b3534921824.jpg

Have to say, the roads (especially from Bala to Dolgellau and beyond) made me fall back in love with driving, they're just perfect. So easy to just roll on/off the throttle and plenty wide enough in most places, with some ace corners. 480 miles in total, car never missed a beat and averaged (if calculations correct) 37.5MPG. Quite happy with that as car was four up and it's pretty gutless loaded, so had to work a bit.

I knew the roads from years ago (7.5 tonne driving) so barely needed the shat nav at all. Covered a good range all week from Porthmadog to Machynlleth, and took the long route back via the latter, then from Cemmaes down into Welshpool and home. Unfortunately Dave_Lee_Cartland dog was a handful as one of the dogs in the next lodge was on heat, so he spent most of the time pacing up and down unsuccessfully trying to work out how escape the decking.

Heard back from the dealers- the gearbox is fucking fucked M8. They're ordering another box and fitting it once it's here, looking at 3-6 weeks on back order. Fortunately it's all being done under warranty.

Then I think it's being sold off before it borks itself again. He's happier with the Laguna. 

3 minutes ago, LabRat said:

Heard back from the dealers- the gearbox is fucking fucked M8. They're ordering another box and fitting it once it's here, looking at 3-6 weeks on back order. Fortunately it's all being done under warranty.

Then I think it's being sold off before it borks itself again. He's happier with the Laguna. 

The powershift dsg apparently is so notorious that I would dump the car the moment it's out of the dealer. Just another great example of an engineering failure. Apparently the control modules are a big problem?

1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

Haven't had a holiday for probably 3 years+, so we had a mid-week (4 night) stay in a posh lodge near Bala. Fancied taking the ML (bigger, automatic, easier drive) but would have probably cost a fortune in juice, so went in everyone's favourite* car instead.

Used to drive past this bridge every 4 weeks for about 8 years and always wanted to go over, but never got the chance to either stop or cross it. Hats off to @Iamgrootfor reminding me where it was. Managed a cheeky crossing (and straight back) which has ticked off a weird 'bucket list' that I've wanted to do for probably over 25 years now. Worth every penny of the £1 each way, we actually ended up then driving to Fairbourne, parking up then getting the mini-railway and the ferry to Barmouth, coming back on the 'proper' train train so we could go over the bigger bridge.

zafiraholidaybridgefront3reallygood.thumb.jpg.bcc6214dbb4efc597642b3c8aa5596c7.jpg

Have to say, the roads (especially from Bala to Dolgellau and beyond) made me fall back in love with driving, they're just perfect. So easy to just roll on/off the throttle and plenty wide enough in most places, with some ace corners. 480 miles in total, car never missed a beat and averaged (if calculations correct) 37.5MPG. Quite happy with that as car was four up and it's pretty gutless loaded, so had to work a bit.

Is that the road that only goes to a pub, and that closes at 6pm off the road to Barmouth?

5 hours ago, BeEP said:

For the second Friday morning in a row @worldofceribrought me a present...

DSCN2944.thumb.JPG.eddf80b9017758c1334066082106a229.JPG

Off road since 1989, it's totally unmolested and although it does need some welding it's not a lot by ado16 standards.  And the engine isn't seized which is a bonus!

That's an early one! Registered April '64 - but no suffix letter plate?

25 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Yes, it surprised me, especially as it's a Birmingham registration and I've had thought that they would have moved onto suffix registrations in 1963 (I know some more rural areas didn't move to suffixes until 64/65).  It has the reg etched on every bit of glass (plus the rear light lenses!), but I guess that's no guarantee it's the original reg.  Perhaps @LightBulbFun can suggest an explanation?

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

48 minutes ago, BeEP said:

Yes, it surprised me, especially as it's a Birmingham registration and I've had thought that they would have moved onto suffix registrations in 1963 (I know some more rural areas didn't move to suffixes until 64/65).  It has the reg etched on every bit of glass (plus the rear light lenses!), but I guess that's no guarantee it's the original reg.  Perhaps @LightBulbFun can suggest an explanation?

362MOK is indeed its original plate Birmingham issue of April 1964, nice to see it still has it :) 

a fair few county councils etc still had a fair few suffix-less plates left especially in the reverse 3 numbers 3 letters format, it was just from the 1st of Jan 1965 Suffix plates became mandatory across the board 

only a few county councils (Middlesex being the big one, but also Essex and Oxfordshire come to mind, as well as the newly created Scottish authorities who got given London's old X multiples) actually ran out of marks in 1963, and issued A suffix marks in period, making genuine A suffix's quite rare, and always a fun spot :) because they tend to hide themselves, thanks to the DVLA's liberal issue of A suffix plates as replacement plates in the 1980s

1 hour ago, nomiST said:

Is that the road that only goes to a pub, and that closes at 6pm off the road to Barmouth?

The Penmaenpool end of the road leads onto the A493, not sure if it closes at night but would make sense as doubt they'd employ the toll collector 24 hours a day and it it would (I assume) stop people driving over in big vans and lorries etc when nobody is about.

Sat outside the pub this evening and found myself momentarily distracted…

The fair wife asked, ‘Were you looking at that woman?’

’No’ says I, ‘ I was looking at her tits’

Amazingly I seemed to get away with it and continued…

’Sorry love, was she pretty? I was momentarily distracted by the firm swell of her unfettered young breasts’.

Fucking got away with it again and life returned to normal.
Proof that honesty is the best policy or what?

14 minutes ago, barefoot said:

Sat outside the pub this evening and found myself momentarily distracted…

The fair wife asked, ‘Were you looking at that woman?’

’No’ says I, ‘ I was looking at her tits’

Amazingly I seemed to get away with it and continued…

’Sorry love, was she pretty? I was momentarily distracted by the firm swell of her unfettered young breasts’.

Fucking got away with it again and life returned to normal.
Proof that honesty is the best policy or what?

Maybe your wife was doing the same?